Western Digital RMA Problems

PhilH

As most of everyone knows I had a few drives go belly up last month. Turns out 2 of the drives had to be replaced. The original post is at:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4368.0

I did an advance RMA for the Seagate 1.5 TB drive & had a replacement in 24 hours. Didn't hurt that they shipped it from a town that is adjacent to mine.

I also did an advance RMA for the 500Gig WD.. They placed a hold on my credit card for $220.00 & they still haven't shipped the drive. The RMA was placed on September 19th. I have since contacted WD & they stated that they did not have the stock at this time to fulfill this RMA.. The shipment is delayed until they aquire more drives. This is plain BS... If you don't have a recertified drive then send out a new drive... It's not my problem you don't have stock to replace your junk..

Sorry for the rant but am a little PIS**D at them.. They take your money quick but do not send out the product..

Phil

They placed a hold on my credit card for $220.00

it's only an authorization, which says they have acquired a temporary hold for the amount. They still have to post the transaction in order for you to get charged. If you see it on your bill without shipment call WD and/or dispute with the CC.

Still, it's a pretty hefty number to hold for a 500gb drive.

At this point, if your array is unprotected, I might be inclined to get a new drive so you can be protected.

Unfortunately it was a credit/debit card linked to my checking account. The money was pulled from my account immediately. I realized that the card was going to be charged but didn't worry about it since the money would be refunded after they received the old drive back.. Wouldn't have been a problem if they would just ship the replacement drive.. This delay is ridiculous.

The array is protected cause I bought a 2TB WD drive for parity.. Wouldn't have purchased this drive if I had known that WD was having problems replacing their bad drives..

Unfortunately it was a credit/debit card linked to my checking account. The money was pulled from my account immediately. I realized that the card was going to be charged but didn't worry about it since the money would be refunded after they received the old drive back.. Wouldn't have been a problem if they would just ship the replacement drive.. This delay is ridiculous.

DOH!!!!

Have you considered sending the drive in ahead of time? (Use insured and/or tracked shipping).

They are only supposed to hold funds until they receive the bad drive.

Yes, the delay is ridiculous, you might have a way to speed up the process to get your funds back sooner.

Did you send the failed drive back?

If you do, they will have to release your funds. Just send it via some insured/tracked method.

I'm not saying what is going on is right.  Just that they have a hold on your funds,  and frankly, do not have a right to hold on it if they have not shipped anything.

Western Digital finally sent the replacement drive. I got the email this morning. UPS tracking said it should be here tomorrow. Only took them a month & 3 days to send out a advance RMA...  :P

At least this way I can use the packaging they are sending to send back the other dead drive. That way they can't complain about the way it was packed & sent to them.. lol

At least this way I can use the packaging they are sending to send back the other dead drive. That way they can't complain about the way it was packed & sent to them.. lol

I agree with this technique, which is why I usually request advance RMA.

It also helps to save a retail box or two when you get a new drive so you can use it to send your drives back.

Still... that took a long time!

They reduced the amount of the hold... Guess they don't realize that the bank already released it... lol

When I checked on the status of the RMA I copied a piece of it.

"We have not received your defective product.  If we do not receive your defective product by 21-Nov-2009, your credit/debit card will be charged/debited in the amount of $196.56."

Remember this is for a 500Gb drive. I don't think I'll be doing anymore advance RMA's from WD. That hold amount is outrageous.

They reduced the amount of the hold... Guess they don't realize that the bank already released it... lol

When I checked on the status of the RMA I copied a piece of it.

"We have not received your defective product.  If we do not receive your defective product by 21-Nov-2009, your credit/debit card will be charged/debited in the amount of $196.56."

Remember this is for a 500Gb drive. I don't think I'll be doing anymore advance RMA's from WD. That hold amount is outrageous.

This is normal, Maxtor used to do this too.

What are peoples experiences like with other manufacturer's RMA process?

I haven't tried WD advanced RMA but last time I took the regular RMA I was waiting 3 months or so to get my drive replaced in the UK.  At the time I decided not to purchase any more WD drives but don't know if I would only face the same issues with other vendors.

I am now wanting to get 1 or 2 2TB drives but not sure which make to go for.

I will let you know how an Advanced RMA goes with Seagate.  I just put in the "paperwork" last night and should have the new drive on monday or so.  In there little blurb it looked like it said they would charge me 80+tax if they did not receive the defective drive within 1 month of me getting the good one.  That is considerably better then the 200ish that PhilH was talking about.

Archived