Rackmounted UnRaid Build (VM+Nas)

tom k.

This is my first UnRaid build, and I'm using it to upgrade my current NAS to something that is substantially more powerful. I'm an MSc student, so require some server based software to hold my research data. It will also hold my media and serve it through Plex.

I already have some of the hardware, so some of the costs are absorbed by that.

width=800http://i.imgur.com/o59DVQ2.jpg[/img]

Let me know what you think ^_^

Any suggestions that don't break the bank? I thought about buying one but they span huge price ranges (<£100 to >£1000) and I really have no idea what I'm looking for...

I've got one of these (the 700va version for £77.99) and if I get a powercut it gives me 17 mins on battery.  I've got my Server, Desktop PC, monitor and switch plugged into the UPS outlets (4 have battery backup, the other 4 are surge protection only)

Any suggestions that don't break the bank? I thought about buying one but they span huge price ranges (<£100 to >£1000) and I really have no idea what I'm looking for...

I've got one of these (the 700va version for £77.99) and if I get a powercut it gives me 17 mins on battery.  I've got my Server, Desktop PC, monitor and switch plugged into the UPS outlets (4 have battery backup, the other 4 are surge protection only)

Oh wow, looks good. I'll add this to my list then ^_^

On a side note that may help, do you know your system load for the 17 minutes CHBMB? Tom k. Seems to have a lot of hardware in his config so it may be a good reference point :)

Plus I'm also slightly interested as well.

Regards,

Jamie

My load is at 34% so I assume that's 34% of 700 = 238

On a side note that may help, do you know your system load for the 17 minutes CHBMB? Tom k. Seems to have a lot of hardware in his config so it may be a good reference point :)

Regards,

Jamie

I think that UPS is rated for 5.6 minutes @ 700va, so if you're using 34% load then you're basically going to get 1/0.34 = 2.94x the 5.6 minutes which is about 16.4 minutes. I'm fairly sure that is how it works xD Using the APC calculator my system will apparently draw 396W at full load, so assuming I'm running at 80% load I'll probably get about 7 or so minutes. Better than nothing xD

I was looking at rackmount UPSes but they're $$$$$

TBH the UPS just needs to give you enough time to shutdown... 

I used to have mine set to come back on when power was restored until someone posted on here saying that just leaves you vulnerable if there is a further power cut before your battery has been recharged.

TBH the UPS just needs to give you enough time to shutdown... 

I used to have mine set to come back on when power was restored until someone posted on here saying that just leaves you vulnerable if there is a further power cut before your battery has been recharged.

Yeah, I saw the recharge time at around 16 hours. Are they configurable within UnRaid then?

Regards,

Jamie

I'm the one that added the load calculations to the original apcupsd plugin. The 34% is actually your load in watts/nominal power in watts x 100. I have a CP850PFCLCD but it's nominal power is 510 watts. My load is at 35 watts and 7%. I see your ups doesn't give the nom power value though. Your ups manufacturer should have specs on the nom power. I was going to add a field to input your nom power for those ups that don't give it so you could see how many watts your server is using. I measured with a power meter and the ups display. They both show the same, so mine is accurate.