Mobo detects SMART staus: Bad on a disk, but which one?

Rajahal

As I mentioned here, I recently upgraded my unRAID server's mobo and CPU.  It was headless before, and it has been headless since, seemingly without problems.  However, I noticed that it started beeping twice instead of once when first booting, and it seemed to be taking a bit longer to boot as well.  Over the weekend I finally got around to hooking it up to a monitor to see what's up - turns out the motherboard is detecting SMART status: Bad on one of the drives.  It says something like "SMART status: Bad on Master drive 3" (I can give you the exact wording if that isn't specific enough).  How do I know which drive the motherboard considers to be 'Master drive 3'?  Is it the onboard SATA slot 3?  Most of my drives are connected directly to the motherboard, and a few are on a Promise TX4 card.  I'm guessing the disk that the motherboard considers 'disk 3' isn't necessarily going to be the disk that unRAID considers to be 'disk3'.

I started following the wiki's instructions for making unRAID generate SMART reports for all the drives, but I ran into a problem trying to install the SMART library file (I'm using unRAID version 4.4.2).  The file wouldn't install (the error was something like 'file does not end in .gbz'), and therefore unRAID can't generate SMART reports.

Also, assuming that I do eventually figure out which drive is failing its SMART tests, what is your philosophy on when to replace the drive?  Replace it immediately, or wait for it to completely fail (since unRAID can recover from it anyway)?  I suppose which drive it is will factor into the decision, since if it is still under warranty that I will want to replace it asap.

No, I don't have unMenu installed, but I suppose I could use this as an excuse to do it (I've been meaning to, but I just never bothered).

How should I be more specific?  Give you the exact message from the Mobo?

see this post on how to get the c++ library installed so that smartctl will work.  Note that the url given in that post might not work so just do a google search for the cxxlib file and find a new link.

After you do that ou should be able to run the commands and get the smart working.

Like I said early, installing unMenu might be your best option.  It is easy to install and has a button to install this library and then have it reinstall on reboot.  There are directions in the unRAID wiki on how to get unMenu up and running.

see this post on how to get the c++ library installed so that smartctl will work.  Note that the url given in that post might not work so just do a google search for the cxxlib file and find a new link.

That was exactly what I tried before I posted here, but as I mentioned in my first post, it didn't work.  After typing the 'installpkg' command, I get an error to the effect of 'file does not end in .tgz' (I mistyped that as '.gbz' in my first post).  I tried using WinRAR to expand the file also, and it still didn't work.  I guess unMenu might be my best option.

Thanks for the continued help, prostuff1.

That was exactly what I tried before I posted here, but as I mentioned in my first post, it didn't work.  After typing the 'installpkg' command, I get an error to the effect of 'file does not end in .tgz' (I mistyped that as '.gbz' in my first post).  I tried using WinRAR to expand the file also, and it still didn't work.  I guess unMenu might be my best option.

Thanks for the continued help, prostuff1.

take a look at this link and you should be able to download the cxxlib.  The one there is version 6.0.9 but I don't think I will hurt all that much that it is a new version.

So try the instructions I linked to earlier but with this link: http://bos.fkip.uns.ac.id/pub/slackware/slackware-12.1/slackware/a/cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486-1.tgz

Archived