Motherboard audio passed to windows VM

Team,

I am using a MSI X79A-GD45 PLUS (Realtek ALC892) and PCIe passthrough for a GTX 770. Everything is working as expected except for the audio, the audio connected via the rear 3.5mm jacks, crackles and hisses and just sounds broken. Has anyone had similar issues, or gotten good performance from an onboard audio card? The audio has been tested outside of unraid and works with no issue.

Thanks,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue, same chipset (x79) only the Asus version.

Passthrough succeeds, drivers install, everything looks good... until playback.

It's scratchy, low volume,  terrible audio quality. Persists across reboots.

Win 10

Realtek driver 6.0.1.7525

Audio Codec ALC898

Relevant line from Unraid system devices:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also struggling with this, only on an MSI big bang x-power ii (still x79). I've tried installing numerous different versions of the realtek drivers and messing with the bit rate but no success, still just a load of garbled audio. HDMI or USB audio isn't really an option for me.

Anyone got any suggestions? Surely on-board audio must be the most common method of audio output so I'm surprised that I've not really found anywhere else where this problem has been discussed?

Cheers to anyone who can help!

• 2 months later...

I have since upgraded to the 6.2 beta and tried the msi fix with no luck  :(

If anyone has any ideas please help us!! :)

Edit: Just tried passing my onboard sound to an Ubuntu VM which works just fine! I can't think why windows doesn't wanna play ball :( Something to do with ASIO perhaps? - Rather a long shot but as you might be able to tell I'm desperate :P