[Support] binhex - MiniDLNA

Overview: Support for Docker image arch-minidlna in the binhex repo.

Application: MiniDLNA - http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-minidlna/

GitHub: https://github.com/binhex/arch-minidlna

Documentationhttps://github.com/binhex/documentation

If you appreciate my work, then please consider buying me a beer  :D

btn_donate_SM.gif

For other Docker support threads and requests, news and Docker template support for the binhex repository please use the "General" thread here

Edited by binhex
  • 4 months later...

How do I get minidlna to refresh the media? I have enabled it in docker, restarted it, and while my devices see it, they do not see any media.

I have attached screenshots of my docker minidlna setup and of the webpage it gives me.

Thank you,

Ari

This docker has been created to use /media, if you want to do what you have specified then you will need to modify the minidlna config file located in /config and change the location for media from /media to your locations /music and /videos

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Thank you for your great job.

I have a problem. Each time I restart my server or the container the database is recreated and I have to wait for many minutes.

Could you add 2 things ?

1. in the edit mode a checkbox to choose rescan on starting.

2. when I click on the container I can choose restart, could you add a Rescan line

It would be perfect.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Ive got this running but can't add more than one path to other shares on my server.

Eg /media /mnt/user/folder name/    it works but if I try adding another path(host path 2 say) with a different folder name it wont work....I get an error saying

docker: Error response from daemon: Duplicate mount point '/media'.

Any help?

Hi

Ive got this running but can't add more than one path to other shares on my server.

Eg /media /mnt/user/folder name/    it works but if I try adding another path(host path 2 say) with a different folder name it wont work....I get an error saying

Any help?

Don't use the same Container volume name twice.  Call the second something like /MoreMedia

Hi

Any help?

Don't use the same Container volume name twice.  Call the second something like /MoreMedia

Don't get the error but it also doesn't show the movies in the second path....only the ones in the /media path....mmmm....frustrating

Hi

Any help?

Don't get the error but it also doesn't show the movies in the second path....only the ones in the /media path....mmmm....frustrating

have you added in the second path to allow mindlna to scan it?, if you cant add multiple paths (cant remember if you can) then your only solution is to set /media to /mnt/user and then drill down to the common root folder that contains both media folders you want and scan that, if they are completely disparate then your only solution is to move them so they are under a common root folder and set that to /media and scan.

Hi

Any help?

have you added in the second path to allow mindlna to scan it?, if you cant add multiple paths (cant remember if you can) then your only solution is to set /media to /mnt/user and then drill down to the common root folder that contains both media folders you want and scan that, if they are completely disparate then your only solution is to move them so they are under a common root folder and set that to /media and scan.

I don't think you can scan more that 1 path because no matter what combination of paths/words I use it will only show one of them.

Hi

Any help?

I don't think you can scan more that 1 path because no matter what combination of paths/words I use it will only show one of them.

in that case you are going to have to consolidate the two folders, i have no idea how your data is structured, but if i were you i would come up with a common root folder, and then have the desired structure under that e.g.

/mnt/user/Pictures/media1/some/other/folders

/mnt/user/Pictures/media2/some/other/folders

then set /mnt/user/Pictures to /media and scan

Love this docker, super easy to set up. However, I agree, I should be able to disable rescan on restart. I have like a thousand photos, it takes forever.

------------------

To scan from two different path, you need to add them when you install the docker. Afterwars, you need to go to the install folder of minidlna and edit the minidlna.conf. Under "set this to the directory you want scanned", you need to write "media_dir=/ followed by the countainer path you gave it when installing the docker.

Example: The standard path, /mnt/user/Media/ is mounted to container path /media. I have another folder on my server that I want to share, at /mnt/user/Eltern/. I mounted this one to the container path /eltern when installing the docker. So I have two container paths, /media and /eltern. In the minidlna.conf, the given part would look like this for me:

# set this to the directory you want scanned.

# * if you want multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir= lines

# * if you want to restrict a media_dir to specific content types, you

#  can prepend the types, followed by a comma, to the directory:

#  + "A" for audio  (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music)

#  + "V" for video  (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos)

#  + "P" for images (eg. media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures)

#  + "PV" for pictures and video (eg. media_dir=PV,/home/jmaggard/digital_camera)

media_dir=/media

media_dir=/eltern

Important lines are in bold. Now the DLNA Server will scan for files in /media and /eltern, which we previously mapped to /mnt/user/Media/ and /mnt/user/Eltern/ respectively when installing the docker. Dont forget to restart the docker after editing the conf file.

• Thanks 2

Love this docker, super easy to set up. However, I agree, I should be able to disable rescan on restart. I have like a thousand photos, it takes forever.

i will take a look, this should be pretty easy to do, its been a long time since i enhanced this particular docker image :-)

• 2 weeks later...

i will take a look, this should be pretty easy to do, its been a long time since i enhanced this particular docker image :-)

This is now complete guys, if you want to disable scan on boot then edit the container and add an env var called "SCAN_ON_BOOT" and set the value to either "yes" or "no", alternatively dont define it and it will default to "no", any issues let me know.

This is now complete guys, if you want to disable scan on boot then edit the container and add an env var called "SCAN_ON_BOOT" and set the value to either "yes" or "no", alternatively dont define it and it will default to "no", any issues let me know.

Great - I no longer have to edit "/etc/supervisor/conf.d/minidlna.conf" every time the docker gets updated!

Great - I no longer have to edit "/etc/supervisor/conf.d/minidlna.conf" every time the docker gets updated!

:-), glad you stuck with it and sorry for the wear and tear on your fingers hehe.

• 1 month later...

It apears MiniDLNA will not support sharing a .dsf file.  Is this correct or am I missing something?

no idea tbh, what the heck is a dsf file?, is it some sort of playlist?.

Its a high res audio file.  Basically a single file from the DSD format (from an SACD).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

I've sort of solved this problem as I've found my BR player will play multi-channel flac and finds them OK from miniDLNA, so I can work with that setup. 

DSD or DSF is the native format from SACD and doesn't required the conversion (to flac or wav), but I can't detect an audible difference playing back the 88K flac from the original media.  You can at 44K but not 88K. 

When I posted this question i was trying to use my Marantz 7702 to playback but it cant' read multi-channel flac or wav and was hoping DSD/DSF would work.  Today i found it can't play a multi-channel DSF/DSD either so I went to the Pioneer for playback and it is working fine of multichannel flac.

Thanks for being willing to look into it though.

It apears MiniDLNA will not support sharing a .dsf file.  Is this correct or am I missing something?

no idea tbh, what the heck is a dsf file?, is it some sort of playlist?.

Its a high res audio file.  Basically a single file from the DSD format (from an SACD).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

I've sort of solved this problem as I've found my BR player will play multi-channel flac and finds them OK from miniDLNA, so I can work with that setup. 

DSD or DSF is the native format from SACD and doesn't required the conversion (to flac or wav), but I can't detect an audible difference playing back the 88K flac from the original media.  You can at 44K but not 88K. 

When I posted this question i was trying to use my Marantz 7702 to playback but it cant' read multi-channel flac or wav and was hoping DSD/DSF would work.  Today i found it can't play a multi-channel DSF/DSD either so I went to the Pioneer for playback and it is working fine of multichannel flac.

Thanks for being willing to look into it though.

Thanks for enlightening me, always nice to know about new tech, I've known about flac for years but never heard of dsf files

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Has the default "no" been changed?  At first this seemed to work but, lately, my installation appears to again be scanning on boot.

I have added

--env "SCAN_ON_BOOT=no"

to the Extra Parameters, but this does not appear to have any effect.

EDIT to add:

Ah, yes - it would appear so:

if [[ ! -z "${SCAN_ON_BOOT}" ]]; then
echo "[info] SCAN_ON_BOOT defined as '${SCAN_ON_BOOT}'" | ts '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%.S'
else
echo "[warn] SCAN_ON_BOOT not defined,(via -e SCAN_ON_BOOT), defaulting to 'yes'" | ts '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%.S'
export SCAN_ON_BOOT="[b]yes[/b]"
fi

It would also appear that the reason that my addition to the Extra Parameters wasn't working was because the quotation marks don't get parsed correctly in the Docker tab web interface.  Removing the quotation marks appears to resolve this.

Has the default "no" been changed?  At first this seemed to work but, lately, my installation appears to again be scanning on boot.

I have added

--env "SCAN_ON_BOOT=no"

to the Extra Parameters, but this does not appear to have any effect.

EDIT to add:

Ah, yes - it would appear so:

if [[ ! -z "${SCAN_ON_BOOT}" ]]; then
echo "[info] SCAN_ON_BOOT defined as '${SCAN_ON_BOOT}'" | ts '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%.S'
else
echo "[warn] SCAN_ON_BOOT not defined,(via -e SCAN_ON_BOOT), defaulting to 'yes'" | ts '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%.S'
export SCAN_ON_BOOT="[b]yes[/b]"
fi

It would also appear that the reason that my addition to the Extra Parameters wasn't working was because the quotation marks don't get parsed correctly in the Docker tab web interface.  Removing the quotation marks appears to resolve this.

my bad, i must of mistakenly changed this to a positive by default when moving the block of code to the init script, i will change this back again to a negative by default, of course this wont really affect you as you have fixed it, however your fix isnt quite right (although does work).....

so you added in scan_on_boot to the extra parameters section of the webui, whilst this does work its not intended to be used for this when defining env vars, the webui already has this built in natively via the "add another path, port or variable" option, then from the dropdown "config type" choose variable, this will then do the the quoting for you, the extra params field is purely for parameters that the webui doesnt natively support.

• 1 month later...