Is this network performance normal?

LVLAaron

speed.PNG

copying large 10gb files to unraid. network utilization seems go to back and forth between 0 percent and 30 percent. What's causing that? is the unraid box having trouble keeping up with calculating parity as I'm writing?

Calculating parity is nearly instant.  Reading and writing the disks takes time.  See the explanation in this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4390.msg40684#msg40684

Without monitoring what is happening on the client it is impossible to see why the copy is stalling. Usually that last trace indicates another process is accessing the hard disk or interupting the copy whilst doing something else. My best guess would be a download or some sort (torrent s/w running on the client) or windows update, Windows firewall/ICS or a WMI process is interupting the copy.

The initial trace is much more of a "normal windows network trace".   

As a result of my experiments I ended up modifying the following line in my syslinux.cfg:

append  elevator=cfq  initrd=bzroot

And also I added the following line to my GO script:

for i in /dev/[hs]d? ; do echo 128 > /sys/block/${i:5}/queue/max_sectors_kb ; done 2>null

Are those the tweaks you speaks of?

I'm on a bunch of 500gb drives.

2gb of ram. xeon 3.2 and intel GB networking.

Are those the tweaks you speaks of?

Well, yes, but modifying the syslinux.cfg and the go script would require a reboot of your server.

You can just as easily test this without rebooting. Just telnet into the server and type:

for i in /sys/block/[hs]d?; do echo deadline > $i/queue/scheduler ; done
for i in /sys/block/[hs]d?; do echo 128 > $i/queue/max_sectors_kb ; done 2>null

Then, if there is any improvement, then you can go ahead and modify the syslinux.cfg and the go script.

Depending on the specs of your unraid box, you may or may not see a big improvement.

I am still curious to see your new picture.

Purko