Is there any way to 'stagger' the start of multiple VMs?

I have 2 windows Virtual Machines running on my server, both serve as media players to different rooms in the house (living and bed).  The bedroom VM runs a library served by the first VM, so the Living room VM must be up and running when the bedroom VM starts, so it can see/use the living room library.  Currently, I have the living room VM set to autostart, then manually start the bedroom VM, but I'd like to have them both autostart, if possible.

so, any way to specify which starts first, or build a delay into the start up of the second VM somehow?

I have 2 windows Virtual Machines running on my server, both serve as media players to different rooms in the house (living and bed).  The bedroom VM runs a library served by the first VM, so the Living room VM must be up and running when the bedroom VM starts, so it can see/use the living room library.  Currently, I have the living room VM set to autostart, then manually start the bedroom VM, but I'd like to have them both autostart, if possible.

so, any way to specify which starts first, or build a delay into the start up of the second VM somehow?

You running Kodi on them? Just wondered whether it would be worth setting up a MySQL centralised library if so........

You running Kodi on them? Just wondered whether it would be worth setting up a MySQL centralised library if so........

No, both run JRiver Media Center inside windows. I've used it for well over a decade and don't want to learn another solution [emoji3]

another good idea, thanks again.

I just posted on JRiver site to see if there is functionality for this already built in, but if not, I'll follow your suggestion.

It's not a big deal either way, i don't want to be rebooting the server that often, but if I can prevent having to 'remember' something after several months of not using it, that's better :)

This may be old Windows jargin, but I will continue.

Can't you just "cheat" and have Windows display the list of operating systems to boot from with a timeout of XX seconds?

This used to be the case in 7, as you could have it display a list for XX seconds prior to booting the default.

Should be enough delay to do exactly what you need.

Pic attached.

Or delay it on the 2nd one with something like this http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-delay-time-startup-programs-windows

boot.png.7f59371891c9195ec42e916fd0a9e2fa.png

I love that idea, but I don't think it gets delayed if there is only 1 operating system installed. :(

Gotcha (even though you could add a fake one to make the delay), what about the 2nd option of delaying the loading of JRiver on the 2nd one, giving time for the 1st one to load up?

Link to a program made for such things in my above post.

This one looks easy enough http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/29612-delay-startup-items-programs-windows-startup-delayer.html

• 3 months later...

I love that idea, but I don't think it gets delayed if there is only 1 operating system installed. :(

I wanted to delay a Windows 7 VM from starting until a Domain Controller VM comes online so the service delay doesn't work for me.  I went for the idea that bungee91 had to have windows show the list of operating systems and add a fake entry so it waits for user input until the timeout is reached.

In Windows 7 from an elevated CMD prompt:

> bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Copied default"

then run => msconfig => boot => timeout => # <30 seconds is default>

check "Make all boot settings permanent" => Apply => Yes

-dimes

• 2 weeks later...