Motherboards that support for S3 (Sleep/Stand by/Suspend to RAM)

What is S3?

Well, I think wikipedia can probably explain it best so here is a link describing all of the power states.  S3 is specifically described as: S3 Sleep (Standby):System appears off. The CPU has no power; RAM is in slow refresh; the power supply is in a reduced power mode. This mode is commonly referred to as 'Save To RAM'.

There has been a lot of discussion lately about S3 and a lot of great progress has been made in this thread.  There have been some requests to get this information added to the Hardware Compatibility Page and I am trying to take the initiative and get that done.  Unfortunantly, I do not have a lot of extra time to comb through the first thread, nor do a lot of the new users.  With that being said I would like to get the input from the people who are using S3.

Attached to this post is the newest version of the S3 script along with a quick summarization of how to get it installed.

What I am requesting for this thread is that you ONLY post your:

• The motherboard you are using
  • The version of unRAID you are using
  • Your overall experience and happiness with S3

Please limit the posts in this thread so that it stays as clean as possible and that it is easy for others to go through.  I will also add links in the wiki to note that S3 works or does not work.

Thanks and please post your setups!!

For Mac OS X users: One user, aht961, was kind enough to create an Applescript that will wake your unRAID server when executed will send a magic packet.  aht961 has also been kind enough to summarize the steps involved in getting the newest version of the s3.sh script running.  Attached to the bottom of that post is the newest version of the S3 script.

MB: P5B-VM DO

unRAID: 4.5-beta8

Experience: love it

NB! there are non-SMART recorded errors on the majority of disks on wake-up; the disks connect at full speed eventually and there appears to be no adverse effects; disks are in Icy-docks but it is unclear if the problem is related to this.

MB: Asus A8R32MVP-Deluxe

unRAID: 4.5-beta6, 4.5-beta8

Experience: Works great with the primary on-board NIC (PCIe) but apparently not with the secondary NIC (PCI). ???

Additional Notes: Enabling BIOS option Power On by PCI/PCI-Ex Devices doesn't do it alone.

Also requires go script line to enable NIC, at least with 4.5-beta6.

i.e.:

# Enable WOL

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

• 2 years later...