Upgrading parity drive

Hiker

I'm running 5x1TB at the moment. When I want to start moving to larger drives, is it a simple matter of stopping the parity drive, replacing it with a larger drive and syncing? I'm assuming also that if I do that, I'll need to clear the old parity drive if I want to add it back as a data drive (i.e. unRAID might freak a bit if it sees 2 parity drives. Or is it a case of the parity drive being tied to whatever controller you set it up on, so adding an old parity drive back on a different controller will cause no probs?)

unRAID will only see one parity drive as it will be the one assigned to the parity slot on the Devices page.

My suggestion when upgrading parity is to:

1. Run preclear on the drive a could of times (not necessary but will stress test the drive to find early failure)

2. Take out the old party by disconnecting it

3. Hook up new parity drive and assign it as parity once the computer is started back up

4. Let parity rebuild and then run a check on it to make sure nothing is going funky.

5. Shut down the server and hook the old parity drive back up

6. Run preclear on the old parity drive and let it complete

7. Assign the old parity drive to a slot and your all done.