Docker Path Questions

I am currently reinstalling all of my apps etc and I want to get it as perfect as possible the first time.  Iwas wondering how apps should stuff be installed on the SSD cache drive?

Should it be like this:

/mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver

or like this?

/mnt/cache/appdata/plexmediaserver

I have an appdata share but not a cache share.

I am currently reinstalling all of my apps etc and I want to get it as perfect as possible the first time.  Iwas wondering how apps should stuff be installed on the SSD cache drive?

Should it be like this:

/mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver

or like this?

/mnt/cache/appdata/plexmediaserver

I have an appdata share but not a cache share.

Your appdata share should be set to be cache-only, as if its not, when Mover runs it can play havoc with permissions, etc and mess up the files within.

Of the two options for referencing it, you should always use /mnt/cache/appdata/plexmediaserver (contrary to the LT defaults) because some applications have problems (due to symlinks) when you use /mnt/user/...

Of course, all of this requires a cache drive to begin with.

Thank you Squid!

So apply the same to all of the other dockers/apps as well? Such as:

/mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd/

/mnt/cache/appdata/coachpotato/

etc?

absolutely.  (and as a side benefit, access to /mnt/cache is marginally faster than access to /mnt/user)

Great. So I can leave the other options as is?

E.g.

Plex:

/data = /mnt/user

SAB:

/mnt/user = /mnt/user

/data = /mnt/user

This is a great help, thank you!

Any path where you want the app to be able to access any of your shares (and those listed above *appear* to fit the bill), you have to use /mnt/user/...

Great. Do I need both for SAB?

Can't stand SAB (I use NzbGet instead).  But, since they are both set to the same host path, the answer is technically "No".  But, since you're appdata is already set up according to those two overlapping paths, you're best off keeping both as it won't require any adjustments within SAB's settings (or CP / Sonarr).

Can't stand SAB (I use NzbGet instead).  But, since they are both set to the same host path, the answer is technically "No".  But, since you're appdata is already set up according to those two overlapping paths, you're best off keeping both as it won't require any adjustments within SAB's settings (or CP / Sonarr).

I have completely redone everything. Starting a fresh.

The only thing that I have installed is Plex.

What should it be? I want to get it right this time :)

In Putty I have:

/mnt/cache/appdata

and

/mnt/user/appdata

If the bottom one is incorrect; how do I remove/delete it?

The absolute easiest way of setting up any container is to pass /mnt/user/ mapped to /mnt/user/ with RW privileges.

Personally, I don't do that, and only pass through whichever shares the app actually requires with either RW or RO privileges depending upon the app's requirements.  (ie: Why the hell would I give plex potential access to my "special pictures" or to my banking information, and why would I allow it RW access when it only needs RO access to my media)

See the Docker FAQ for some attempts at explaining host vs container mappings.

If you don't understand the FAQ in that section (and most people don't because its not the easiest concept to explain), just pass /mnt/user to /mnt/user and be done with it.

In Putty I have:

/mnt/cache/appdata

and

/mnt/user/appdata

If the bottom one is incorrect; how do I remove/delete it?

All of your user shares are in /mnt/user, including your cache-only user share appdata. The only thing that might screw things up is if you also have appdata on disks other than cache. Check each of your /mnt/disk# to see if appdata is also listed there. If so you should delete them.

Thanks for the help :)

Struggling to get Transmission installed/working at the moment:

Error response from daemon: no such id: Transmission

Error: failed to remove containers: [Transmission]

Ask in the appropriate support thread, with a screen shot