Unraid System Locks Up

Hello!

I'm hoping I might be able to get some help with my Unraid System. I'm running 6.1.8, and for the last few weeks (maybe even months?) The system has regularly hanged maybe once or twice a day. 

When I say hang I mean:

Connected Monitor goes black

Connected Keyboard becomes unresponsive

Other networked machines can't ping it.

The only thing I can do is a hard reset by holding the power button on the case. Previously the system was running without fault - and there haven't been any significant changes to the system apart from incremental software updates to the server and gui and incremental updates to the dockers that I'm running. Nothing new has been installed hardware or software wise.

I know my way around a computer, but Unraid is a new-ish system for me and I don't (for example) know where to look in the diagnostics for answers. Logs can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zhwjlyy05tva0nw/AABN7GPKgp0lTM9QKloCE3Nza?dl=0

EDIT: I've read the sticky about syslogs. By the time this system has locked there's no way for me to extract the syslog. Any suggestions on how to get there would be awesome :-)

Please let me know if there's any more information I can provide that would be helpful in tracking down the issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

EDIT: I've read the sticky about syslogs. By the time this system has locked there's no way for me to extract the syslog. Any suggestions on how to get there would be awesome :-)

at the console, enter this in

tail -f /var/log/syslog > /boot/syslog.txt

The syslog is going to be continually written to the flash drive.  After a crash, hopefully some information will be contained within it

I rebooted, went to the webgui >Tools > Syslog and downloaded.

That gets the current syslog which is being stored in RAM - not the one you created earlier on the USB stick by running the recommended command.

I guess a reboot has hosed the file and I need to pull the USB sick after a crash and access the file direct rather than rebooting and pulling it from the network.

You can pull it either by removing the USB stick, or over the network by going to the 'flash' share (which is the network view of the USB stick).

Thanks for your patience explaining - makes sense.

Attached is the syslog from last night, I've run the command again this time logging to > /boot/thisSyslog.txt to try and catch the next crash in case the attached doesn't shed any light.

Unfortunately there is nothing to suggest any error in the attached syslog.

Thanks for your patience explaining - makes sense.

Attached is the syslog from last night, I've run the command again this time logging to > /boot/thisSyslog.txt to try and catch the next crash in case the attached doesn't shed any light.

Unfortunately there is nothing to suggest any error in the attached syslog.

Which actually does suggest somethings - namely that its a hardware issue.  Most likely of the bunch would be powersupply, but we could be looking at tons of different things.

Post up your complete hardware specifications including model numbers.

Interesting.

Looking at what everyone's sig's look like here I should add that to mine. Will do after this. I've also attached that extra syslog after a crash this eve.

I'm running:

Intel DZ68BC

Intel Core i7 2600

2x 8GB 1333 Corsair Dominator Ram

Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 HBA

Corsair AX 760

Corsair H80 Cooler

Intel Pro/1000ET Dual Port Gigabit Network Card

2x OCZ 512gb SSD's Raided on the MB and setup as a cache pool

3x WD 3TB Drives WD30EFRX

2x WD 2TB Drives WD20EARS

2x WD 2TB Drives WD2000FYYZ

3x Samsung 2TB Drives HD204UI

EDIT: I've got an AX 860i Sat in its cellophane as a surplus from a different build, if there's a strong feeling that it could be PSU I can switch it out fairly quickly. Would just be a shame not to sell it on as new if not needed. I'm happy to take that chance though :-)

Thanks

Rich

thisSyslog.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for dragging this thread up again, however having followed up with the good advice I got previously I've been looking into hardware issues:

CPU has been swapped, the Watercooling tested and new thermal paste applied.

PSU has been swapped and all cables.

Memtest86+ has been run and not found any errors.

Also, the system will sit happily for hours in BIOS while I was monitoring temps and running Memtest etc.

Therefore I'm back to considering that there's something up with unraid/my install of unraid. So would be really interested if anyone else is having any random shutdowns on their system? Or could suggest further steps to narrow down what's wrong with mine.

Many thanks

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Rich,

When I built my unRAID system, I had some crashes and determined that it was due to BIOS modifications I had made - specifically CPU overclocking. After I removed the overclocking, it's been running great. If you have modified your BIOS it could explain why you are not having issues running while in the BIOS versus crashing after booting into unRAID. Even if you haven't made BIOS changes, you may want to investigate BIOS settings that may improve stability/performance in unRAID - for example virtualization setting for CPU.

Just wanted to share my experience. Hope this helps.

Dave