rsnapshot

Hello,

On my old home-made NAS I used to use rdiff-backup for local incremental backup. I since switched to rsnapshot (http://rsnapshot.org/) because of its speed and simplicity (symlinks). Rnapshot website says that it is based on perl and use rsync as back-end. Assuming I install rsync vi unMENU, is there an easy way to get rsnapshot running on unRAID? A quick google search revealed some already existing Slackware packages, although I don't know if they can be used as is.

Thanks

Alphazo

Hello,

On my old home-made NAS I used to use rdiff-backup for local incremental backup. I since switched to rsnapshot (http://rsnapshot.org/) because of its speed and simplicity (symlinks). Rnapshot website says that it is based on perl and use rsync as back-end. Assuming I install rsync vi unMENU, is there an easy way to get rsnapshot running on unRAID? A quick google search revealed some already existing Slackware packages, although I don't know if they can be used as is.

Thanks

Alphazo

rsync is part of the stock unRAID, "perl" is not.  You'll need to install "perl" and whatever rsnapshot needs otherwise.  You do not need to install rsync unless it needs a newer version than supplied with unRAID. (4.5beta12 has rsync  version 3.0.2)

I too used this tool but replaced it when i discovered Crashplan. Worth a look

from their site: If you are backing up more than 100GB, your initial backup could take weeks

given 7 TBytes, i think i'll come up with a local strategy.

You can do that with crashplan just fine.  I back up my laptop to my server (does not take long when it is on the same network) and the crashplan cloud.  I also have my parents back up to my server and to the crashplan cloud.  From there I have the server back up certain parts of itself to crashplan, just to make sure I have redundant backups and am protected should something happen.

There is a thread for setting up Crashplan on the unRAID server in the "lounge" forum and there are probably directions in the unRAID wiki somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

:) Got it working. It was pretty straightforward.  I now have a nice fault-tolerant NAS with automatic rolling backups (7 days and 4 weeks at the moment). I will post a how-to soon. Rsnapshot shares one thing with unRaid... simplicity (with the cost of extra storage requirement though). No software or command to learn when you want to recover a snapshot. Just navigate into the snapshot dir and grab the files.

Alphazo