Author Topic: How to mount an external USB drive shared via unmenu  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Chris

How to mount an external USB drive shared via unmenu
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
This may seem like a silly question, but how does one view/browse an external USB drive which has been mounted and shared via unmenu? After mounting and sharing with unmenu, the Disk Management page shows: Sharing /dev/sdd1 as sdd1

I mounted that drive so I could move lots of ISO images (movies) to my newly built unRAID box. Will I need to telnet to the unRAID box to copy those files over, or can I use a wirelessly-connected Windows laptop to do that? With the Windows laptop, I can see the two disks (I have no parity drive for now), and can move files to the unRAID box, but I cannot figure out how to see/browse that external USB drive.

Offline mcs

Re: How to mount an external USB drive shared via unmenu
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:46:35 PM »
From memory, unMenu mounts the USB drives under /mnt/... in a similar way to the array disks are mounted as /mnt/disk*
You should be able to see sdd1 as a network drive in Windows once it is shared, as you can see disk1, disk2, and flash.
Also make sure windows is set up to display hidden/system files.

Do not try to copy by drag and drop with your laptop as this will in effect copy the file from the USB to the lapto and then from laptop to the array.
Instead use the following http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Transferring_Files_Within_the_unRAID_Server

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:31:20 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply, especially this valuable tidbit here:
Do not try to copy by drag and drop with your laptop as this will in effect copy the file from the USB to the lapto and then from laptop to the array.

I used the 'background' copy feature of Midnight Commander and it appears to be running still, even though I've exited MC and exited the telnet session (putty). This is exactly what I wanted - something I could leave running overnight to move large amounts of data off an external drive.

Thanks again!

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »
I meant to ask for clarification... about how to browse to the external USB drive in a Windows laptop. In other words, in the same way I type \\tower to browse to the tower, what would I type to get to the external drive? I've tried numerous things to no avail, like: \\tower\mnt\disk1\sdd1 , \\sdd1 , \\tower\disk1\sdd1 , \\tower\sdd1  etc

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »
I meant to ask for clarification... about how to browse to the external USB drive in a Windows laptop. In other words, in the same way I type \\tower to browse to the tower, what would I type to get to the external drive? I've tried numerous things to no avail, like: \\tower\mnt\disk1\sdd1 , \\sdd1 , \\tower\disk1\sdd1 , \\tower\sdd1  etc
It would be the last
\\tower\sdd1

There is a second "button" on unMENU to actually share the mounted USB drive.  You'll need to press it to share the drive you mounted.  It shows up after you mount it in place of the button that allows you to mount the drive. 

Once shared, it turns into an un-share button, and once un-shared, it turns back into an un-mount button.

Joe L.

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »
That's one I tried, but no luck. And I did find that button and after mounting it, I shared it. There is even a "confirmation" message that tells me it's being shared (Sharing /dev/sdd1 as sdd1). Yet browsing to \\tower\sdd1 brings up a Windows error box something to the effect of not being able to find it and to check the spelling.

I feel like I must be very close, and it's probably something quite obvious that I'm doing wrong... but currently it has me baffled.

Offline mcs

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:29:38 AM »
That's one I tried, but no luck. And I did find that button and after mounting it, I shared it. There is even a "confirmation" message that tells me it's being shared (Sharing /dev/sdd1 as sdd1). Yet browsing to \\tower\sdd1 brings up a Windows error box something to the effect of not being able to find it and to check the spelling.

Are you able to find \\tower\disk1 etc in the browser?
Have tried looking at which network drives are available in explorer?

I use unMenu this way to mount USB disks I use for off site backup, and I have never had any problems. 

Offline Kaygee

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:25:42 AM »
Check your settings for disk shares, unraid menu, shares, export shares, disk shares.

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 04:39:08 AM »
I can see/browse the array disks fine, just not the external (unprotected) disks. Looking at the unRAID menu, I have the flash share not exported, and the disk shares (SMB) exported read/write hidden. Even when not hidden, the external disk didn't show up in the list. Also, the the disk shares (NFS) box is blank. Perhaps something goes into that empty box in order for this to work?

Offline mcs

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 04:56:39 AM »
I can see/browse the array disks fine, just not the external (unprotected) disks. Looking at the unRAID menu, I have the flash share not exported, and the disk shares (SMB) exported read/write hidden. Even when not hidden, the external disk didn't show up in the list. Also, the the disk shares (NFS) box is blank. Perhaps something goes into that empty box in order for this to work?

Have you tried to export the flash?
Can you see the USB disc on it's mount point with the console?
Are there any messages in the syslog re the USB?
Have you enabled explorer to show hidden and system fies?

Also a blank NFS is fine, it isn't needed in this case.

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 05:21:12 AM »
First, did you rename your server to something other than "tower" ?? if so, use your alternate name.

Next, after pressing the button in unMENU to share a unprotected disk, either on a telnet connections or after logging in at the system console, type
testparm

It will list the names of the "shares" on your server.  "sdd1" should be there.

In unMENU, once you share the un-protected disk, the button will change to "Un-Share" if it is then being shared.  Did the label on the button change?

Lastly, what version of unMENU are you using?  and what version of unRAID?   (The location of the samba control files changed from early versions of unRAID.  If you are using an old version of unMENU it might be the reason for your problems.)

Joe L.

Offline kapperz

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:21:09 AM »
What is the proper command to mount and share if you wanted to script this process in the go script upon boot (if the usb device was always plugged in)?

Thx
My Rig (~7.0TB): CM 590 case - GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H - 3 x Rosewill RC-207 - 3 x CM STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - AMD X4 635 2.9GHz (overkill, but for Handbrake) - G.SKILL 4GB DDR2
Pictures Here

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »
What is the proper command to mount and share if you wanted to script this process in the go script upon boot (if the usb device was always plugged in)?

Thx
Unfortunately, it is not as easy as a single command.

You must
1. create the mount point
2. mount the disk on the mount point
3. add entries to the samba config to define a new share, using the mount point
4. request smbd (the samba daemon process) to re-read the samba config to make the newly created share accessible

So, at minimum, 4 commands, and one of them involves editing a config file.

Joe L.

Offline Chris

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 10:18:53 AM »
Have you tried to export the flash? Yes, and when I do I can see it fine.

Can you see the USB disc on it's mount point with the console? Yes, it shows to be at /mnt/disk/sdd1

Are there any messages in the syslog re the USB? Nothing unusual - just normal stuff about registering, bus number, etc.

Have you enabled explorer to show hidden and system fies? Yes, but it's still not listed. Only the two shares (Movies and Music). The flash drive shows up whenever I export it, too.

This is with the latest beta (13) for the 4.5 series.

Offline kapperz

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »
You must
1. create the mount point
2. mount the disk on the mount point
3. add entries to the samba config to define a new share, using the mount point
4. request smbd (the samba daemon process) to re-read the samba config to make the newly created share accessible
Step 1 & 2 are easy enough. Step 3 & 4 I don't understand. Could you share a quick example please?

My Rig (~7.0TB): CM 590 case - GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H - 3 x Rosewill RC-207 - 3 x CM STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - AMD X4 635 2.9GHz (overkill, but for Handbrake) - G.SKILL 4GB DDR2
Pictures Here