[Plugin] CA Fix Common Problems

This plugin is designed to find and offer up suggestions to a multitude of configuration errors, outright problems, etc for numerous aspects of your unRaid server.

To install this plugin, just head over to the Apps tab and search for Fix Common Problems.

After installation, you will see a lifesaver within Settings / User Utilities which will launch a manual scan (and give you the option to set the background scan settings)

For every error or warning that this plugin finds, a suggested course of action will also be displayed.  Additionally, should you seek additional help for any error / warning, the errors are all logged into your syslog so that persons helping can easily find the issue when you post your diagnostics.

Scans can be scheduled to run automatically in the background (you have the option of hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly).

Additionally, if the background scans find an issue they will send out a notification (depending upon your notification settings in this plugin)

The current list of tested items will be maintained in the second post of this thread.

Any support for problems this plugin finds, should be posted in the General v6 section of these forums.  Problems relating to false positives, suggestions for more checks, why I made the decisions I did, wording mistakes in suggestions, etc. should be posted here.

As usual for anything written by me, updates are frequent as new ideas pop into my head.  Highly recommended to turn on auto-updates for this plugin.

Most of the tests will include a link to a "More Information" post about the specific error.  These are all contained within this thread:

A video with a basic run through of FCP can be found here: (at about 18:25)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 9
  • Implied Cache Only shares do not have files / folders stored outside the cache drive
  • Cache Only shares do not have files / folders stored outside the cache drive
  • Array Only shares do not have files / folders stored on the cache drive
  • Dynamix checking for plugin updates
  • Dynamix checking for docker updates
  • Community Applications Installed - Only because of its plugin auto update feature
  • Community Applications set to auto update itself
  • Dynamix WebUI set to auto update (via Community Applications)
  • This plugin set to auto update itself (via Community Applications)
  • Powerdown plugin installed
  • Ability for the server to communicate to the outside world (ping github.com)
  • Ability to write a file to each drive in array and cache
  • Ability to write a file to the flash drive
  • Ability to write a file to the docker image
  • Similar named shares only differing by case (eg: MyShare and myshare)
  • Default appdata storage location is set to /mnt/cache/.... (skipped 6.2-rc3+)
  • Default appdata storage location is a cache only share
  • Look for disabled disks
  • Look for missing disks
  • Look for read errors
  • Look for file system errors
  • Look for SSD's within the Array
  • Check if plugins are up to date (and ignore if autoupdate settings are enabled in CA)
  • Check for 32 bit packages in /boot/extra and /boot/packages
  • Check for docker applications updates available
  • Check individual docker application's /config mappings set to /mnt/user (should be /mnt/cache) (skipped 6.2-rc3+)
  • Check for /var/log greater than 50% full
  • Check for tmpfs greater than 75 % full
  • Check for docker image file greater than 80% full
  • Check for scheduled parity checks
  • Check for shares with included and excluded disks both set
  • Check for shares with both included and excluded disks having overlaps
  • Check for global share settings both included and excluded disks set
  • Check for global share settings with included and excluded disks having overlaps
  • Check for docker containers having UD mounted volumes not being passed with slave option
  • Check for only supported file system types (reiserFS, xfs, btrfs) on array / cache devices
  • Check for flash drive formatted as fat32
  • Check for built-in FTP server running
  • Check for destination set for Alert level notifications
  • Check for destination set for Warning level notifications
  • Check for email server and recipient addresses set if email notifications are selected
  • Check for plugins installed being blacklisted
  • Check for plugins installed not being known to Community Applications (implies incompatible)
  • Check for ad blocker's interfering with unRaid
  • Check for illegal characters in share names
  • Check for docker applications not running in the network mode template author specifies
  • Check for HPA on drives (Error on parity, other warning for all other drives)
  • Check for illegal suffixes on cacheFloor settings
  • Check for cache free space less than cacheFloor
  • Check for cache floor greater than cache total space
  • Check for permissions of 0777 on shares
  • Check for Hack Attacks on your server
  • Check for Moderated / Blacklisted docker applications
  • Check for plugins incompatible for your unRaid version
  • Check for cache only shares, but no cache drive
  • Check for user shares named the same as a disk share
  • Check for CPU Scaling Driver installed
  • Check for extra parameters set via Repository section instead of Extra Parameters Section (docker Apps)
  • Check for multiple registration key files stored on the flash drive (Excludes Trial keys)
  • Check for Out Of Memory errors
  • Check for MCE errors
  • Check for Files / Folders contained within /mnt (anything other than disk1,disk2, etc or cache or disks
  • Check for exhaustion of inotify watches
  • Check for irq xx: nobody cared messages
  • Check for SSD cache drive formatted as reiserFS (format does not support trim)
  • Check for SSD cache drive, but Dynamix SSD Trim not installed
  • Check for missing/different TemplateURL field in docker application's template
  • Check for Marvel Based controller
  • Check for Directory Bread's (ie: flash drive disconnected)
  • Check for Ryzen CPU running on unRaid < 6.4
  • Check for minimum 2G memory installed
  • Incompatible docker applications installed
  • Check for CPU overheating
  • Check for Stats plugin installed, but Preclear Not installed
  • Mover logging enabled
  • Zenstates not running on Ryzen CPU
  • PHP Warnings enabled via Tips and Tweaks plugin
  • Disk included in share setting that doesn't exist on array
  • Check for deprecated --cpuset-cpus in extraparameters AND via CPU pinning via GUI
  • Check for collisions on CPU isolation and Docker CPU pinning (multiple collisions only)
  • Check for invalid docker template xml's
  • Check for write cache disabled on drives

Extended Tests:

• Check every file / folder for permission issues
  • Check every file / folder for invalid characters
  • Check for duplicated files
  • Check for folders with same name but different case

Edited by Squid
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

There may be a false positive reported with regards to auto update of Dynamix webUI and Community Applications, and this plugin.

If you have not made any changes to CA's auto update settings, a false positive will be reported for these warnings.  Just go to Autoupdate Settings (Community Applications Settings) and make a change, any change and apply.  From here on in those warnings will be legitimate.  I have to update CA in the next day or so to fix this one time false positive

I agree this sort of thing should be flagged because most of the time it is a problem, and as long as nothing happens automatically we'll be fine.  Although if there was a way to mark a specific share to be ignored, that would be cool too :)

What I'll do is switch it over to being a warning, as its not exactly a major error, and the system is still functional with it like that.

Thought even more about it, and what I'm going to do is completely remove the options to have this plugin move the data around for you to/from the cache, and instead point them to dolphin / krusader / mc.  I'll just leave the suggestion to fix the settings however.

Makes my job a ton easier, and takes me off the hook if anything unexpected should happen during the move.

Ahhhh ...

You just tossed the holy grail back in the cave!  Here I thought we were on a course to a tool that could find all problems, then fix them too!  Like the Elysium movie medical machine.  ;)

I agree this sort of thing should be flagged because most of the time it is a problem, and as long as nothing happens automatically we'll be fine.  Although if there was a way to mark a specific share to be ignored, that would be cool too :)

What I'll do is switch it over to being a warning, as its not exactly a major error, and the system is still functional with it like that.

Thought even more about it, and what I'm going to do is completely remove the options to have this plugin move the data around for you to/from the cache, and instead point them to dolphin / krusader / mc.  I'll just leave the suggestion to fix the settings however.

Makes my job a ton easier, and takes me off the hook if anything unexpected should happen during the move.

Ahhhh ...

You just tossed the holy grail back in the cave!  Here I thought we were on a course to a tool that could find all problems, then fix them too!  Like the Elysium movie medical machine.  ;)

Yeah, and if I start automatically fixing issues (even if having to punch a button to do it) then I wind up taking all responsibility for everything.  Its one thing for CA to backup appdata, its another thing for me to start moving somebody's family pictures off of the cache drive onto the array.

Not saying that it won't happen with certain of the found problems, but lets take this one step at a time.  Besides a some of the potential fixes require stopping / starting of the array to change certain settings, etc.

EDIT:  after 5 minutes of thought, now I'm starting to feel guilty about it and will begin adding FIX ME buttons for some of the simple fixes that don't require actual decisions to be made by the user.

Yeah, I'd be leery too.  There's no way I'd do it in less than a multi-step process - double check the destination is valid and has space, copy the files, verify the copies are perfect, then and then only delete the originals.  And I'd probably tell the user to try it first with test files, to make sure it's configured and working right.

Yeah, I'd be leery too.  There's no way I'd do it in less than a multi-step process - double check the destination is valid and has space, copy the files, verify the copies are perfect, then and then only delete the originals.  And I'd probably tell the user to try it first with test files, to make sure it's configured and working right.

But, like my edit above implies, its nothing for me to say delete 32 bit packages it finds, or delete the user list from FTP settings, or set autoupdate settings.  Simple config changes.  Most items however require a decision to be made, and even then it *would* be possible to come up with a script, but realistically am I going to invest a ton of time creating a script to walk through the process, getting input from the user that may only get used once?  And then hoping that it actually works under all the variables present in a server...

I think that the suggested fixes (and the buttons to actually take you to the correct page in the webUI) will suffice for those items.

Updated:

Errors now logged into syslog.  Fix RobJ's unique setup of no user shares and no docker returning errors

Just ran the new version, looks great!

My personal opinion, I think that the auto-update for this plugin (Fix Common Problems) should be a Warning not an Error, but it's not a big deal.

Updated:

Errors now logged into syslog.  Fix RobJ's unique setup of no user shares and no docker returning errors

Just ran the new version, looks great!

My personal opinion, I think that the auto-update for this plugin (Fix Common Problems) should be a Warning not an Error, but it's not a big deal.

Of the autoupdates, its the only one that generates an error instead of a warning so that people turn it on to keep the thing updated with new problems / suggestions.  Its a choice I made...  If everyone complains I'll demote it.

Check for updates as that check changed a couple times yesterday.  It now checks to see if there are any entries in the authorized users.  There is a big with the ftp server where if it's disabled it's going to re enable it in the next boot.

But it's a warning anyways just to drive home the point about opening up the server to the internet. 

If there is no users listed then post back here

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48975.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48931.msg469644#msg469644

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, I can add another check to see if its actually disabled when there are valid users present.  Will update it tonight.

Getting this:

2 drive cache pool btrfs formatted

Disk cache2 is formatted as The only supported file systems are ReiserFS, btrFS, XFS. This error should only happen if you are setting up a new array and the disk already has data on it. Prior to with a fix, you should seek assistance in the forums as the disk may simply be unmountable. Whatever you do, do not hit the format button on the unRaid main screen as you will then lose data

Myk

Getting this:

2 drive cache pool btrfs formatted

Disk cache2 is formatted as The only supported file systems are ReiserFS, btrFS, XFS. This error should only happen if you are setting up a new array and the disk already has data on it. Prior to with a fix, you should seek assistance in the forums as the disk may simply be unmountable. Whatever you do, do not hit the format button on the unRaid main screen as you will then lose data

Myk

Can you give me your diagnostics.  I wasn't 100% sure how it was going to respond to a cache pool

Will do as soon as I get home

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I spent a day trying to go through a ton of diagnostics online but obviously missed that one

johnnie, are you able to test this on the cache drive?  Remove any cache drive, install UD so that the ntfs drivers are guaranteed to be there, and set up a cache drive with an NTFS formatted drive.  This works on my simulated disks.ini file, but I've looked around here, and believe it or not I can't find a hard drive that I don't currently have in use somewhere.

It works.

Disk cache is formatted as fuseblk	The only supported file systems are ReiserFS, btrFS, XFS. This error should only happen if you are setting up a new array and the disk already has data on it. Prior to with a fix, you should seek assistance in the forums as the disk may simply be unmountable. Whatever you do, do not hit the format button on the unRaid main screen as you will then lose data

Updated to 2016.05.09

- Fix false positive on valid file system checks when cache pool present

- Enhanced detection on FTP server running

- Add Notification Checks

(No destination (browser, email, agents) set for warnings or alerts

(If email is selected on any type of alert, check for recipient address and server address within smtp settings)

Now checks for blacklisted plugins installed

Checks for unknown plugins installed (unknown as in not known to CA) - This will get rid of users still having S.N.A.P installed, old 6.0 only plugins, etc

Further enhancements to the FTP detection, along with a comment that if it is disabled, but users are defined, then its going to wind up getting enabled when you reboot

Checks for unknown plugins installed (unknown as in not known to CA) - This will get rid of users still having S.N.A.P installed, old 6.0 only plugins, etc

Further enhancements to the FTP detection, along with a comment that if it is disabled, but users are defined, then its going to wind up getting enabled when you reboot

Very nice!

I'd like to request another feature - can we have an option to disable any checks that cause disks to spin up?  I like that this can run on a regular basis, but I'd rather not spin my drives up unnecessarily.  Thanks!

Very nice!

I'd like to request another feature - can we have an option to disable any checks that cause disks to spin up?  I like that this can run on a regular basis, but I'd rather not spin my drives up unnecessarily.  Thanks!

I'll add it, but TBH I don't really see the point in skipping what is arguably the most important test there - can unRaid actually store a file within every drive.  To my mind, this is no different than spinning up the disks for a monthly parity check, except that this actually does a basic test on the file system. 

Depending upon how another program is deciding to write the file, you may not even know that a write failed....  But, to each his own.

EDIT: As a meet half way type thing, what I'll do is instead of skipping the tests that can potentially spin up a drive is only run the test on the drive is unRaid thinks its spun up if you select that option.