GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H - Level 1 Testing Complete

Got the Level 1 testing completed for the GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H MoBo.  Syslog is attached. 

My system with this board is:

AMD Semprom 140 (unlocking 2nd core was unsuccessful ) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698

G-Skill 2x1gb DDR2 1066  PC2 8500 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Drives:

Parity: Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM

Data: 1x Seagate 2TB LP; 1x 1.5TB Seagate LP

Newegg Link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128395&Tpk=gigabyte%20ga-ma785g-ud3h

Manufacturer Link: http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3140

Key Specs.:

CPU

1. Support for Socket AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 processors: AMD Phenom™ II processor/ AMD Phenom™ processor/ AMD Athlon™ II processor/ AMD Athlon™ processor/ AMD Sempron™ processor

Hyper Transport Bus

1. 5200/2000 MT/s

Chipset

1. North Bridge: AMD 785G

2. South Bridge: AMD SB710

Onboard Video Chipset ATI Radeon HD 4200

Memory

1. 4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)

2. Dual channel memory architecture

3. Support for DDR2 1333(O.C.) /1066/800 MHz memory modules (Note 2)

LAN

1. Realtek 8111C chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

Expansion Slots

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1) (Note 5)

2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4_1) (Note 6)

(The PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX4_1 slots support ATI Hybrid CrossFireX technology and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

3. 3 x PCI Express x1 slots (The PCIEX1_2 and PCIEX1_3 slots share the same PCIe bus with the PCIEX4_1 slot.) (Note 6)

4. 2 x PCI slots

Storage Interface

South Bridge:

1. 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices

2. 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices

3. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10 and JBOD

6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors

(Note 1) Due to Windows Vista/XP 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.

(Note 2) Whether 1066MHz or above memory speed is supported depends on the CPU being used. * DDR2 1333+ is supported with combination of AM3 processors and qualified memory modules, please refer "Memory Support List" for detail memory support information. 

(Note 5) If you are installing a PCI Express graphics card, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot.

(Note 6) The PCIEX1_2 and PCIEX1_3 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX4_1 slot. When the PCIEX4_1 slot is populated with a x4 card, the PCIEX1_2 and PCIEX1_3 slots become unavailable.

Testing:

Ran Memtest for 24 hours with no errors.

Speed Testing with Parity (didn't run a speed test prior to setting up the parity drive)

Writing to a share:         12-17 MB/sec *edit* - my write speed has moved up to about 19-21 on my last few writes.

Reading from a share:          45-52 MB/sec

Verifying Parity: @52 MB/Sec

I will be purchasing the Pro License shortly to begin the Level 2 testing.  I will be moving my 3 WDC Green 1TB into the server shortly for a total of the 6 drives required.  Hopefully will have a positive post in about a month.

Want to add that the BIOS also offers the option to disable HPA in BIOS, which shouldn't cause any problems in case of BIOS failure since this board also has Gigabytes DualBios, which means there is a second BIOS chip that stores a backup of the BIOS already.  I also confirmed that HPA is not present on any drive.  I disabled it prior to installing a drive as well.  I believe the setting to disable to 'backup bios to HDD' or something very similar. 

Anyway, you may also want to look at the User Benchmarks Page and consider adding your information in there for reference.

I've begun adding some of my info to the User Benchmarks page.  I'm starting with the preclear times for my drives.  I'll run a parity check starting tonight so should have the times for that when I get off Shift sunday morning.  Can't wait to help with more testing! I plan to start level 2 testing within a few days.  Also, for level 2, since you have to run for a month straight, how does 'sleep to s3' mode affect that? If I have my server go to sleep for say, 50% of the 1 month period (when I'm sleeping or at work) will that be fine?

Anyway, you may also want to look at the User Benchmarks Page and consider adding your information in there for reference.

I've begun adding some of my info to the User Benchmarks page.  I'm starting with the preclear times for my drives.  I'll run a parity check starting tonight so should have the times for that when I get off Shift sunday morning.  Can't wait to help with more testing! I plan to start level 2 testing within a few days.  Also, for level 2, since you have to run for a month straight, how does 'sleep to s3' mode affect that? If I have my server go to sleep for say, 50% of the 1 month period (when I'm sleeping or at work) will that be fine?

I would say that as long as the server does not crash entirely and have to be restarted you will be fine.

Just wanted to post an FYI I finally began my Level 2 testing last night.  Rebooted for a clean syslog to start (lots of playing to get S3 to work previously filled it up pretty nicely, no errors, just long).  Began the starting parity check last night and will make a new post for level 2 testing once the 30 days is up.

• 2 weeks later...

Argh! Level 2 testing will be interrupted temporarily.  I do not currently have an APC on my server as well, the power grid in my area is very reliable, only 2 power failures in 6 years and both associated with funnel clouds..... until last night.  When some genious decided to crash into a power pole right outside my station, snapping the pole in half and plunging half the town into darkness, including my house.  Thankfully, the driver was uninjured, but he had to stand by and watch us stand around and let his car burn to the ground as we weren't gonna spray water on it due to the live wire on the car.  Needless to say, my syslog was emptied, my server was running a parity check when I came home.  nothing happened to any data as it was in S3 sleep, just a setback as I was just past the halfway point of the 30 days for level 2. :P  oh well! stupid murphy's law, you know when I get the APC UPS, we'll never have another power outage again!