NFS support in v6.2?

I'm new to UnRAID, been playing with it for only a couple days now (mostly waiting on parity builds!).  I'm starting out with 6.2 beta for the dual parity feature.  My use case is mostly NFS and rsync daemon with just a little SMB.

I'm finally trying to define my first shares.  The deeper I dig the more I'm discovering that UnRAID is really all about Windows.  Unless I'm missing something, NFS support seems to be really lacking in this product.  I found a 2010 post from the developer explaining the limitations of NFS security and a follow up in 2015 confirming it's still the same.

I've also seen references to people setting NFS "rules" somewhere but I can't find them anywhere in the 6.2 GUI.  I don't see any suspect files in /boot/config I could manually edit either.  What I need is basic UNIX NFS style permissions.  I want to define which hosts can connect to each share and I want to disable squashing on some shares but not others.  UnRAID appears to make every share wide open and squashed without any ability to override by the user.  What am I missing here?

The only solution I can think of right now is to use the go script to completely overwrite /etc/exports with my own hand-crafted version at every boot.  How kludgy!

I REALLY want to like UnRAID.  I've already bought a bunch of new hardware to run it on.  But the more I look the more I think it may not the right tool for me.  Is anyone else using this product for NFS?  Do you just run it wide open without regard for file ownership/permissions?  That would probably be okay for media shares and the like, but not for everything.

Go to 'Settings', then look on the 'Network Services' line.  Click on the 'NFS' icon and 'Enable NFS'.  (Now, turn on 'Help' by clicking on that button on the tab row on the GUI for help in what you are going to be doing next!) 

Start by going to 'Shares'.  Then left-click on the "Share Name" on the left side of the page.  Now click on the 'NFS Security Settings'.  Turn on 'Export and make the desired security settings.  (Now, there is a "goof" in the Help for this screen BUT by looking at the 'SMB Security Settings', you will find out what each setting will do.)  (SMB and NFS are both using the same underlying Linux file system for security/file-access so you get the same options for either.) 

You can set the most common security settings here but understand that you will have to set up users (including a user for yourself as unRAID does not allow the super user--- root --- to log onto shares for security reasons!) if you set the security to anything but 'Public'.

Thanks for the info Frank.

Just to close out this thread on a positive note I finally found what I was looking for.  To see the "rule" field you must change the security to private AND hit the apply button.  Although I could have sworn I already did that I guess I'm mistaken.  Now I see the rule field everyone is referring to.

Then, examining how the private setting affects /etc/exports and how the rule field extends it I can now accomplish what I want with my NFS shares.  Manually adding those rules is definitely not at all user friendly but as a UNIX Sysadmin it doesn't bother me too much.

Yeah, as you have discovered, the primary user base has been home users, generally more technically experienced ones, but still not many 'sysadmins' like yourself.  We have some, have had since the beginning, but they have always been a small minority.  With the new features added, the community is growing lately and in new directions.  It's time NFS users spoke up again (squeaky wheel and all that), and hope you or another will consider adding a Feature Request for more NFS support.  I wouldn't be surprised if Tom or others at LimeTech don't feel a bit guilty about NFS support, as it's been awhile since they have given it much attention.