6.1.6: Zero super.dat and all drives now unassigned

My headless unraid server became unresponse to ping, ssh, and web. I power cycled it. When it came back up the log shows "md: could not read superblock from /boot/config/super.dat" and all my drives are unassigned.

What's the best way to go about recovering this system?

Thanks

Ok. My flash is sda. Parity was sdb. Data drives 1-5 were sdc-sdg. Cache was sdh.

All the data drives added except sdg so it looks like it's died.

Can I start the array without adding the parity and inspect the other drives? That will help me guess at what was on sdg.

just FYI, but don't bother ever keeping track of which drive is which based upon whether its sdX or whatnot.  Those designations are never guaranteed to be the same from one boot of the server to the next.  Always use the serial number.  Additionally, if you happen to use CA's appdata backup feature, then a file is on your flash drive (config folder) named DISK_ASSIGNMENTS.txt that will have all the info.

Thx. Somewhere I have some screenshots after I did the initial setup. I'll find those and confirm the order. I'll also be buying a new drive today.

The dashboard is showing smart status warnings on two of the remaining drives. But the details page for each drive shows that the drive has passed.

Disk 2 has this highlighted:

188 Command timeout 0x0032 100 099 000 Old age Always Never 1

Disk 4 has this highlighted:

5 Reallocated sector count 0x0033 100 100 036 Pre-fail Always Never 2

Is that something I sould be worried about?

CapturFiles_1.png.fd5d5f2a86b6e69393d5446ac208512a.png

I wouldn't worry about those 2 drives for now.

Your screenshots are missing some crucial information so after you get your drive order sorted please post more screenshots. We need to see the FS column for the drives. There is going to have to be a little gymnastics to get it to rebuild the missing disk from a new configuration.

Ok, here's an updated screenshot with the correct ordering. Array started w/o parity drive. Disk 5 is the newly added unformatted WD RED. As far as I remember I had went through the trouble to convert all drives from Reiserfs to XFS. I'm 99.9% sure that disk 5 would have been XFS as well.

Looking at the mounted drives I can see that disk 1 and 3 have the important stuff. Disk 2 is empty. Disk 4 and 5 had time machine backups for all the Macbooks in the house but those quit working after a recent MacOS upgrade and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it.

So at this point I think I'd like to either just add disk 5 as an empty XFS drive and recompute the parity, or upgrade to 6.2.0-rc2 and use disk 5 as a second parity drive.

CapturFiles_5.png.223c83801ce623f83d6963236c834ba0.png

So at this point I think I'd like to either just add disk 5 as an empty XFS drive and recompute the parity, or upgrade to 6.2.0-rc2 and use disk 5 as a second parity drive.

If you don't care about rebuilding disk5 then that makes it easy. I also think upgrade is a good idea whether or not you do parity2, since the issue that has caused some people to lose their array configuration (super.dat) was fixed in rc1.

Ok. I'm upgraded to 6.2.0-rc2. Two parity drives are being rebuilt.

Thanks very much for all the help.

Is there an easy command line util to dump the drive info so I can copy and paste into a text file for safe keeping?

Community Applications has this feature.

It is you're not for whatever reason using the appdata feature a script is available for the user scripts plugin

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk