Author Topic: Supermicro X7SPA L/H/HF ATOM serverboards (Level 1 Tested)  (Read 97904 times)

Offline theone

Re: Getting IPMI/remote control to work on X7SPA-HF
« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2010, 07:24:56 AM »
My question now is: Has anyone gotten the JAVA version of IPView to work, specifically, the KVM Console?

I get an error "no iKVM32 in java.library.path"  From my research, it's telling me that the file iKVM32.so (UNIX) or iKVM32.dll (Windows) is not available in a library path.  I'm on OS X so I don't find an iKVM32.so file (there is an libiKVM32.so file), tho I do find a .dll file.

You can tell I'm a n00b to Java  ;D

I get the same blank screen with flashing cursor, and nothing when pressing the Console Redirection button.  :-\
Case: "Two Towers" Custom Build | MB: Supermicro X7SPA-HF | Memory: 2x 2GB Kingston 667MHz | PSU: Corsair CX400W | Boot Device: Patriot 8GB Xporter XT Boost | unRAID version: 5.0.5 i386
Storage: 1x WD30EZRX (parity), 1x WD30EZRX, 2x WD20EARS, 1x WD10EADS, 1x ST3250318AS (cache)
My Plugins: VirtualBox Plugin          Swap File Plugin           YAMJ Plugin

Offline WeeboTech

• Global Moderator
    • My GoogleCode unRAID Support Page
« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2010, 07:33:06 AM »
it's telling me that the file iKVM32.so (UNIX) or iKVM32.dll (Windows) is not available in a library path. 

I'm not sure, but maybe setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the location of the directory storing  iKVM32.so would work.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/pathtowherelibraryistored.
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

then run the IPMI Java application.
If it complained about a .jar file missing, that would be a Java class path.
This seems to be a shared library path.

*shrug* maybe it will help.
My Google Code Page

If you propose to speak, THINK and ask yourself... Is it True ?   Is it Helpful ?   Is it Inspiring ?   Is it Necessary ?   Is it Kind ?

Online Ford Prefect

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2010, 07:35:01 AM »
My question now is: Has anyone gotten the JAVA version of IPView to work, specifically, the KVM Console?

I get an error "no iKVM32 in java.library.path"  From my research, it's telling me that the file iKVM32.so (UNIX) or iKVM32.dll (Windows) is not available in a library path.  I'm on OS X so I don't find an iKVM32.so file (there is an libiKVM32.so file), tho I do find a .dll file.

You can tell I'm a n00b to Java  ;D

If you downloaded the zip file of the JAVA Version
and unzipped it into a Directory (i.e. "IPMIViewer"),
everything is in there.
All you have to do is to start the application from there, pointing the JAVA search
path into that very directory.
There is a linux shell script, called "IPMIView20.sh" in there as well.
Open it, and you can see the command to issue in order to start the IPMIViewer.
Mine states a single command: "java -Djava.library.path=. -jar IPMIView20.jar"
That does the trick on my side.

BTW: When you will use the KVM Console from inside IPMI-Viewer or from inside
the Web-Browser, it will download a JavaWebStart-file. You will need to find out on how
to (auto-)start these files on your platform. For the Browser-version I had to download
a plugin for firefox in order to get it to work and asoftware package for my OS
when launched from IPMIViewer.

Online Ford Prefect

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2010, 07:55:59 AM »
EDIT: Speaking of updating FW, have you updated your BIOS?  Newest is 1.0c and I have 1.0b.  My BIOS tends to randomly not respond to keyboard on me when I'm accessing it so I'm thinking of updating it, however, I have no floppy, no CD drive.  The manual says it can be flashed from a bootable USB device (e.g. Flash Drive) but have you actually updated BIOS under UnRAID?

...once you have IPMIViewer up and running, and the KVM Concole you can
share resources with the unRAID box, like a real CD-drive, an ISO-file or a floppy image.
This will appear as a USB Drive in the Supermicro BIOS...normally, the board would
alter the boot sequence...I have found, however, that I must remove the unRAID flash,
because it would always win against the virtual USB CDROM, no matter what I do.

...I'll used this feature to boot a systemrescue CD ISO but havent'nt tried a BIOS update yet.
Will check for the changelog if it is worth a try, since my board is running fine headless.
...many thanks for the info.

EDIT: hmmm...no changelog?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:02:01 AM by Ford Prefect »

Offline Auggie

• Inhouse Designs, Inc.
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2010, 08:02:40 AM »
All you have to do is to start the application from there, pointing the JAVA search

Uh... how do I "point the JAVA search path"...?  I realize that I had to "point" or "set" some variable path but the "doing" has me stumped and Googling didn't really help me much as their was no clear-cut instrux on exactly step-by-step how to do this.

Yea, I saw the script and I tried running it too, but I get errors about QXPScriptingAdditions not available or found and I still get the error when trying to get the "KVM Console" to actually launch (I can run IPView.jar just fine).

BTW: When you will use the KVM Console from inside IPMI-Viewer or from inside
the Web-Browser, it will download a JavaWebStart-file. You will need to find out on how
to (auto-)start these files on your platform. For the Browser-version I had to download
a plugin for firefox in order to get it to work and asoftware package for my OS
when launched from IPMIViewer.

Are are you referring to logging onto the IPMI side of the board via web browser and launching either Console Redirection or SOL, which attempts to load a Java applet?  If so, the Console Redirection launch button does nothing (Windows XP/7 nor OS X) and for SOL the Launch button in OS X it tells me to "upgrade to the latest Java runtime environment" (which I have the latest) while on the Windows side it launches a black console with flashing cursor that doesn't respond to anything :-(

FYI, on the Windows side, I run the Windows-specific IPView application, not the Java-based one, and it works just fine.  But I natively run OS X and don't want to launch my Windows virtualization just to control my UnRAID box, which is why I'm trying to get the Java based version of IPView (specifically the KVM Console, iKVM.jar) to work.
Media Server, unRAID v5.0.5:
Supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard, Intel Pentium G630T SR05U 2.3GHz, 2x Hynix DDR3-1600 8GB ECC, 1x Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, 2x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SAS/SATA PCIe
Norco RPC-4224 4U Server Case, Norco 120mm Fan Wall Bracket, 3x Noctua NF-P12 120mm PWM Fans, 2x Noctua NF-R8 80mm PWM Fans, SeaSonic SS-520FL2 520W PSU
11x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB, 2x Hitachi Ultrastar 4TB, 4x Western Digital 4TB Green, 6x Western Digital 3TB Green, 1x Western Digital 2TB Green

Offline Auggie

• Inhouse Designs, Inc.
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2010, 08:13:30 AM »
...once you have IPMIViewer up and running, and the KVM Concole you can
share resources with the unRAID box, like a real CD-drive, an ISO-file or a floppy image.
This will appear as a USB Drive in the Supermicro BIOS...normally, the board would
alter the boot sequence...I have found, however, that I must remove the unRAID flash,
because it would always win against the virtual USB CDROM, no matter what I do.

...I'll used this feature to boot a systemrescue CD ISO but havent'nt tried a BIOS update yet.
Will check for the changelog if it is worth a try, since my board is running fine headless.
...many thanks for the info.

EDIT: hmmm...no changelog?

I don't believe you have to use a "shared" resource to update the BIOS.  The Supermicro BIOS update suggests you load the ROM update file at the root level of the bootable Flash drive, then once booted, run the "ami.bat" file with the new BIOS file using the format (boot drive letter):\> ami (name of ROM file).rom and that should flash the BIOS.
Supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard, Intel Pentium G630T SR05U 2.3GHz, 2x Hynix DDR3-1600 8GB ECC, 1x Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, 2x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SAS/SATA PCIe
Norco RPC-4224 4U Server Case, Norco 120mm Fan Wall Bracket, 3x Noctua NF-P12 120mm PWM Fans, 2x Noctua NF-R8 80mm PWM Fans, SeaSonic SS-520FL2 520W PSU
11x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB, 2x Hitachi Ultrastar 4TB, 4x Western Digital 4TB Green, 6x Western Digital 3TB Green, 1x Western Digital 2TB Green

Online Ford Prefect

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2010, 08:32:34 AM »

Uh... how do I "point the JAVA search path"...?  I realize that I had to "point" or "set" some variable path but the "doing" has me stumped and Googling didn't really help me much as their was no clear-cut instrux on exactly step-by-step how to do this.

Yea, I saw the script and I tried running it too, but I get errors about QXPScriptingAdditions not available or found and I still get the error when trying to get the "KVM Console" to actually launch (I can run IPView.jar just fine).
I do not know much about OSX but I assume it is near to linux and not to Windoze.
The JAVA search paths are globally set in your OS...don't know how to do that under OSX, but if you are able to run
other java based apps fine, you should be OK.
The "-Djava.library.path" parameter would add the local dir to that path.
Did you try to run the command from a CLI, while having "cd"-ed into that directory where you unpacked the IPMIViewer package?

Are are you referring to logging onto the IPMI side of the board via web browser and launching either Console Redirection or SOL, which attempts to load a Java applet?  If so, the Console Redirection launch button does nothing (Windows XP/7 nor OS X) and for SOL the Launch button in OS X it tells me to "upgrade to the latest Java runtime environment" (which I have the latest) while on the Windows side it launches a black console with flashing cursor that doesn't respond to anything :-(
Yes, via browser...
Hmm...maybe a browser setting?
Are you able to run JAVA WebStart apps from within your browser?
You are supposed to download a jnlp file whenever you start a KVM session.
Mine looks like this:
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="https://192.168.0.5/">
  <information>
    <title>ATEN Java iKVM Viewer</title>
    <vendor>ATEN</vendor>
    <description>Java Web Start Application</description>
  </information>

<security>
   <all-permissions/>
  </security>

<resources>
    <property name="jnlp.packEnabled" value="true"/>
    <property name="jnlp.versionEnabled" value="true"/>
    <j2se version="1.6.0+" initial-heap-size="32M" max-heap-size="40M"/>
    <jar href="iKVM.jar" download="eager" main="true" version="1.57.3.0x0"/>
  </resources>

<resources os="Windows" arch="x86">
    <nativelib href="libwin_x86.jar" download="eager" version="1.0.1"/>
  </resources>
  <resources os="Windows" arch="x86_64">
    <nativelib href="libwin_x86_64.jar" download="eager" version="1.0.1"/>
  </resources>
  <resources os="Windows" arch="amd64">
    <nativelib href="libwin_x86_64.jar" download="eager" version="1.0.1"/>
  </resources>

<resources os="Linux" arch="i386">
    <nativelib href="liblinux_x86.jar" download="eager" version="1.0.1"/>
  </resources>
  <resources os="Linux" arch="x86">
    <nativelib href="liblinux_x86.jar" download="eager" version="1.0.1"/>
  </resources>
  <resources os="Linux" arch="x86_64">
    <nativelib href="liblinux_x86_64.jar" download="eager" version="1.0.1"/>
  </resources>
  <resources os="Linux" arch="amd64">
    <nativelib href="liblinux_x86_64.jar" download="eager" version="1.0.1"/>
  </resources>

<resources os="Mac OS X" arch="x86_64">
    <nativelib href="libmac_x86_64.jar" download="eager" version="1.0.1"/>
  </resources>

<application-desc main-class="tw.com.aten.ikvm.KVMMain">
    <argument>192.168.0.5</argument>
    <argument>djyazhkjtizmxorl</argument>
    <argument>djyazhkjtizmxorl</argument>
    <argument>5900</argument>
    <argument>2</argument>
    <argument>0</argument>
  </application-desc>
</jnlp>

FYI, on the Windows side, I run the Windows-specific IPView application, not the Java-based one, and it works just fine.  But I natively run OS X and don't want to launch my Windows virtualization just to control my UnRAID box, which is why I'm trying to get the Java based version of IPView (specifically the KVM Console, iKVM.jar) to work.
Yes, I understand. I started the same way. I am running a fedora 12 based machine for desktop.
I never tried to start the iKVM.jar directly...I used to jump off of the Browser-site or via IPMIViewer.

Online Ford Prefect

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2010, 08:35:52 AM »
I don't believe you have to use a "shared" resource to update the BIOS.  The Supermicro BIOS update suggests you load the ROM update file at the root level of the bootable Flash drive, then once booted, run the "ami.bat" file with the new BIOS file using the format (boot drive letter):\> ami (name of ROM file).rom and that should flash the BIOS.

Yes, you do not HAVE to...but what's the reason of having a headless system in that case?
I am also not going to mount a physical drive or prepare a flash in order to boot DOS...only as a last resort  ;D

Offline Auggie

• Inhouse Designs, Inc.
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2010, 08:54:26 AM »
The "-Djava.library.path" parameter would add the local dir to that path.
Did you try to run the command from a CLI, while having "cd"-ed into that directory where you unpacked the IPMIViewer package?

Yea, I cd'd to point to the IPView folder itself, then ran the script file from my CLI (terminal in OS X).  That's when I got the OXPScriptingAdditions errors and no joy on getting KVM Console to launch still.

I am also not going to mount a physical drive or prepare a flash in order to boot DOS...only as a last resort

My sentiments EXACTLY!  Which is why I was inquiring if anyone did a BIOS update under the UnRAID OS  ;D

I only feel like I need to update my BIOS because of intermittent cases where it seems to not respond to keyboard input and eventually will beep after each keypress.  Hitting the reset button is my only recourse.  I don't go into BIOS that often now that I have all my drives installed (I would disable each new drive installed so that the BIOS would not attempt to boot off any of them and would only look at the flash drive).

Online Ford Prefect

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
Yea, I cd'd to point to the IPView folder itself, then ran the script file from my CLI (terminal in OS X).  That's when I got the OXPScriptingAdditions errors and no joy on getting KVM Console to launch still.

Hmm, then I am out of my wisdom here...
I'd try to test my java install with some other apps.
Here on my side I am running a linux x64 OS with additional x32 layers...and not even Sun/Oracle JVM but IBM's J9 implementation of a JVM.
And it works like a charm.
So ..I don't think that IPMIViewer is to blame...might be a general problem with your JAVA installation.

I am also not going to mount a physical drive or prepare a flash in order to boot DOS...only as a last resort

My sentiments EXACTLY!  Which is why I was inquiring if anyone did a BIOS update under the UnRAID OS  ;D

OK...well, strictly spoken no-one ever will perform a BIOS update under the unRAID OS, because you will have
to shutdown unRAID and boot into MSDOS.  ;)

I only feel like I need to update my BIOS because of intermittent cases where it seems to not respond to keyboard input and eventually will beep after each keypress.  Hitting the reset button is my only recourse.  I don't go into BIOS that often now that I have all my drives installed (I would disable each new drive installed so that the BIOS would not attempt to boot off any of them and would only look at the flash drive).
Yes, I did the same thing basically...only I am running unRAID off of a SSD disk (on full slackware).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:30:49 AM by Ford Prefect »

Offline Auggie

• Inhouse Designs, Inc.
Re: Getting IPMI/remote control to work on X7SPA-HF ** SUCCESS!!! **
« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2010, 09:42:06 PM »
Hmm, then I am out of my wisdom here...
I'd try to test my java install with some other apps.
Here on my side I am running a linux x64 OS with additional x32 layers...and not even Sun/Oracle JVM but IBM's J9 implementation of a JVM.
And it works like a charm.
So ..I don't think that IPMIViewer is to blame...might be a general problem with your JAVA installation.

I e-mailed Supermicro direct and they finally responded and gave me the latest IPMI firmware that's not even available on their site (v1.39) and that allows me to log onto the board and successfully have it automatically download and run the Console Redirection Java applet on my Mac!  I'm assuming it's cross-platform so it may solve similar issues on the Windows side (which I couldn't get to work for XP and Windows 7 either, but someday I will try it again with this FW)!

I've now got my virtual KVM going under OS X to the X7SPA board and LUVIN it!

Thanks for offering the time and effort in troubleshooting this with me!

EDIT: FYI, I also got my AOC-SASLP-MV8 card and other than the "normal-sized" backplane not able to fully seat down (tho the board is fully implanted into the PCIe slot), the mobo booted up and recognized the card immediately and UnRAID saw it and its attached drives too.  Truly plug-n-play, which was my hope! :)  It does take a bit longer to fully boot to UnRAID, but now I can expand up to 14 drives if and when the need arises!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:51:24 PM by Auggie »

Offline fortytwo

Re: Supermicro X7SPA L/H/HF ATOM serverboards (Level 1 Tested)
« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2010, 11:06:44 PM »
I got mine tonight and was able to get suspend to RAM and wol working, but I'm having the "no-video-after-resume" issue, so I guess I'll have to give s2ram a try.
EDIT: So far, it looks like s2ram -f -p -s is doing the trick.

Also, for IPMI: I've gotten it working and was able to connect fine through the applet...but is there a way to access it quickly enough in order to be able to press 'delete' to get into the BIOS setup?  I haven't been able to get that...only been able to access it further along in the boot process.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:31:45 PM by fortytwo »

Offline WeeboTech

• Global Moderator
    • My GoogleCode unRAID Support Page
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2010, 05:00:37 AM »
Also, for IPMI: I've gotten it working and was able to connect fine through the applet...but is there a way to access it quickly enough in order to be able to press 'delete' to get into the BIOS setup?  I haven't been able to get that...only been able to access it further along in the boot process.

On mine, I start up the applet first, do what I have to do, then even though the screen is blank. I keep pressing delete until I see the bios come up and start counting memory.  it might be harder if you have quickboot enabled.
My Google Code Page

If you propose to speak, THINK and ask yourself... Is it True ?   Is it Helpful ?   Is it Inspiring ?   Is it Necessary ?   Is it Kind ?

Offline aiden

« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2010, 06:23:53 AM »
On mine, I start up the applet first, do what I have to do, then even though the screen is blank. I keep pressing delete until I see the bios come up and start counting memory.  it might be harder if you have quickboot enabled.
Agreed.  I disabled quickboot on mine so that I have more time to catch the BIOS.  The video for POST won't show up until after it's already booting if you leave quickboot enabled.
Vault (24TB): Intel Xeon E3-1270 | Supermicro X9SCM-F | 16GB Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2 | (7) Hitachi 4TB Deskstar 5K4000 | Kingston DataTraveler Mini Slim 4GB
Grid (12TB): HP Proliant N40L Microserver | (5) Hitachi 3TB Deskstar 5K3000
X7SPA-HF: Discussion Thread | Fan Speed Script

Online Ford Prefect

• Don't Panic!
Re: Getting IPMI/remote control to work on X7SPA-HF ** SUCCESS!!! **
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2010, 08:16:17 AM »

I've now got my virtual KVM going under OS X to the X7SPA board and LUVIN it!

Glad to hear that you are up&running.

BTW: Did you also upgrade the BIOS to 1.0c?