Supermicro X7SPA L/H/HF ATOM serverboards (Level 1 Tested)

Lol.  Don't feel too bad.  I did the same thing with the RAM on that board.  You think you have it pushed in all the way when you don't, and it let's you push it down and click even if it's not making contact.

Yup, exactly.  Now I just have to decide what to do with the new 2GB stick I ordered just before figuring that out.  Is there any benefit to 4GB over 2GB, or should I just return the new stick?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hah no one's even downloaded my mid-session syslog, oh well.

It's been a month and I have a syslog captured for an L2 test of this board.  The first parity check is on Nov 6 and the 2nd is on Dec 1.  I can run another parity check if the monthly Dec 1 check is not deemed close enough to the end :)

I don't see anything in the logs that look troublesome, but I would appreciate it if someone (Raj?) would confirm that this is good enough for considering this board Level 2 tested.

System is:

Motherboard/CPU: MBD-X7SPE-HF-O (Newegg Link)

RAM: Kingston 2GB DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Model KVR667D2S5/2G (Newegg Link)

Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 (Newegg Link)

Harddrives: 4x WD20EARS-00J, 1x ST31000523AS, 1x ST31000340AS

Flash Drive: Lexar JD FireFly

Nothing else is plugged into the system other than a KB/mouse.  The pcie slot is empty.

Edit: I haven't kept an exact count on transfer to/from the box during the past month, but it is >= 1TB for sure.

Any questions or concerns, please let me know!

MBD-X7SPE-HF-O-syslog-2010-12-07.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Been reading here on this forum for quite a while and I've decided to go the unRAID way (after not being satisfied with cost/performance of NAS Systems)

The uses of the unRAID server: Stream HD/SD Video to Plex on a Mac mini

Here is what I've come up with:

Sharkoon Rebel 12 Economy Editon (lots of expansion room for later)

SUPERMICRO X7SPA-HF

Kingston ValueRAM, 2x2 GB, DDR2-667, CL5, SODIMM

6x Western Digital Caviar Green, 64MB, 2TB, SATA-II

Later I plan to add at least 1 5in3 HD Cage and an 8 Port SATA-II Controler.

That should get me started. I'm missing a PSU and am open for suggestions... :)

How can I tell which have the much desired 12V single Rail?

How many Watts would I need for about 10-12 HD like the ones mentioned above?

Anybody see any conflicts with the start up config?

Any other suggestions? :)

Looking forward to your answers!

David

First of all, welcome to the forums and to unRAID!

I don't see any issues with your setup, assuming you're using the EXACT model RAM that others have indicated good results with.  Supermicro boards are VERY picky about their memory, so just double check the model number before you order it.

As far as the PSU goes, I used a Corsair 620HX until I changed cases to a rackmount.  For what we do, the 5V power rating is the most important when finding a PSU.  Your green drives will be very gentle on your power load, and along with the low power requirements of the rest of the system, you can probably get away with just about any moderately rated unit out there.  I would say anything above 350W should be more than enough.

One rule of thumb that you should be wary of is that you should try to use different models / brands / batches of drives instead of all being exactly the same made at the same time.  This helps avoid the potential disaster of a manufacturer making a bad run of drives that all fail around the same time (IBM Deathstar, Seagate firmware, Samsung F4, etc).  If you plan to buy your drives all at once, then I would buy different models.  If you can wait and grow your capacity as you need it, which is a major feature unRAID has that others don't, then you could stick with the same model because the drives will be built at different times.  For example, I have 6 of the same drive, but they were manufactured over the past year and a half.

Thanks for the reply. Well then I guess I am on the right track. I did some more reading and I really like the 20 drive beast thats suggested on the HW compatibility page. I might just build that. Basically only the board changes for that setup. Oh an of course I would need a CPU. Thinking about the suggested i3 540, or maybe even smaller.

But I do have a quick question regarding that board: LimeTech suggests unregistered and unbuffered RAM. If I read correctly the board manufacturer suggests registered RAM. So who is right?? :)

Registered RAM would require a Xeon processor, and most people are using an i3 with the X8SIL-F (I'm assuming that's the board your looking at now), which will not work with registered RAM.  unRAID's guidelines are simply guidelines.  Ultimately you have to use memory that is compatible with the board you chose.  Buffered, registered, Error Correcting, etc, are all terms for more expensive memory that has certain desirable qualities over basic memory.

Using this board with the Supermicro 1u 503 case (as pictured a few pages ago), how did you solve the problem of the power supply fan not turning on because the 8 pin power connector is not used?

We have 2 systemboards, 2 cases and they both do the same thing. However, if we use a different board that accepts the 8 pin power from the power supply, then the fan works.

Ideas? Are we missing something?

yep looking at the SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-O with a i3 proc. So do I take registered or unregistered RAM?? :)

Use simple ECC memory (unregistered) if you are going to use only one or two slots. Registered memory is only used when you are shouting to have the max amount of RAM available (and populated)

Now i3 does not have ECC functionality so is you want to use this feature you will have to go for a Xeon CPU.

Important - this particular chipset uses only memory with internal organization of x8 (for example 1GBit chips have to be 128Mx8, modules build using 256Mx4 or 64Mx16 DRAMs are not supported)

Search on Newegg - some people provide memory part numbers that will work in their comments)

Using this board with the Supermicro 1u 503 case (as pictured a few pages ago), how did you solve the problem of the power supply fan not turning on because the 8 pin power connector is not used?

We have 2 systemboards, 2 cases and they both do the same thing. However, if we use a different board that accepts the 8 pin power from the power supply, then the fan works.

I haven't run into this issue.  Have you contacted Supermicro support?  They're usually pretty quick in getting a response back to you.

I haven't run into this issue.  Have you contacted Supermicro support?  They're usually pretty quick in getting a response back to you.

..ditto from my side.

Since I do not use the 8-Pin connector as well, I think

what you see as an effect is related to the other mobo.

The Power Supply in the "200B" cases 503/502 is a 80Plus certified one.

...according to the X7SPA and this case or PSU respectively I found these in the FAQ:

- it came with a 20Pin connector while the Mobo has a 24 pin....although the little Atom

should do fine when using 20Pin, I went for an adapter to go with 24pin. -> see: http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=10493

- the fan should only stop if power draw is VERY low...it never happened to me with that board (even with only one SDD as disk connected)

see: http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=10404

...I did not use a kill-a-watt but other users reported power draw to be below that threshold mentioned in the FAQ.

Since the fans did not stop spinning for me, it might be related to using a 24pin power connector.

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed this exact configuration at my boss's house, and it's as straight forward as it can be with regards to unRAID.  It's truly plug and play assuming you're using the latest stable unRAID version.  As far as the connectors go, Raj pointed to exactly the right spot for the breakout cables.  The cables run about $15 to $20 depending on brand.  I found that due to the peculiar PCIe slot position, I had to unscrew the mounting bracket on the card and flip it to the other side to get a better alignment with the case slot.  Otherwise, it's an easy way to get to 14 drives.

Did the SASLP card just work for you without any problems?

No matter what I try, I cannot get it to work on my X7SPE-HF. It doesn't show any sort of BIOS screen, or any other indication that it's there. It does light all the LEDs when the PC boots, but that's it... doesn't light anything when I try to connect the breakup cable to HDs.

I updated my firwmare to the latest one, but saddly still nothing...

I've been using my X7SPE-HF for a while now... I really like it (love the IPMI stuff), but I needed to add more SATA ports.. 

I'm not sure what is going on... did you have to turn off something on the BIOS/Jumpers?

My first post... I've been reading the forum for a while now, and started using unRaid this month.

It's an awesome forum, so I'll definitely hang around more and try to contribute whenever possible..

Did the SASLP card just work for you without any problems?

Yes, I simply plugged it in and went.  I've also done this at home with no issues and no adjustments.

No matter what I try, I cannot get it to work on my X7SPE-HF.

I updated my firwmare to the latest one, but saddly still nothing...

The X7SPE should be the same board except the change in physical dimensions, but just to make sure, did you download the firmware for the X7SPE and not the X7SPA?  FWIW, I've never updated my firmware.

I'm not sure what is going on... did you have to turn off something on the BIOS/Jumpers?

Not that I recall.  It's possible you have a bad SASLP card or a bad PCIe socket.  Can you test the card in another system?  You could also email SM and see what they recommend.

Not that I recall.  It's possible you have a bad SASLP card or a bad PCIe socket.  Can you test the card in another system?  You could also email SM and see what they recommend.

Yeah, I think it's definitely the SASLP card itself.

I tried it on my main desktop PC, and I don't see anything either..

And I also tried some generic PCIe SATA card I had, and it works fine on the X7SP motherboard... so the PCIe socket is good..

I should see some special SASLP BIOS when the computer is booting up right? Even if there are no HD connected to it?

I'll get in touch with Supermicro support and get it replaced...

Thanks!

I just built my first unRaid machine with the Atom 525 version of this board. I posted this elsewhere in the forum but thought it wouldn't hurt to put it in this thread :)

Right now I'm pre-clearing 3 brand new 2TB WD WEARS hard drives.  Once these three are ready to go, I have another 2TB and two 1TB hard drives sitting in my gaming computer ready to be copied to the array and then cleared and added into the server case.

I bought a 4U server case that can hold 15 hard drives (this board can support 14 with an 8 port SuperMicro add in card) and I will have a backup drive ready to go in the case.

This board is the "flex-atx" Supermicro's proprietary board size. It's about 1" longer than mini-itx. Supermicro included some plastic standoffs that snap to the board since most cases won't have tapped holes in the extra spots for standoffs.

img1198sl.jpg

img1212s.jpg

img1218sk.jpg

img1204s.jpg

Can't wait for the hard drives to be ready so I can build an array and get some peace of mind with my data :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice  :)

I myself built my first Unraid server about 1 month ago.

I opted for the small footprint Chenbro ES34069 chassis

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=42

Originally I fitted a GIGABYTE GA-D525TUD motherboard. It worked really well.

However I read so many excellent reports about the Supermicro board, plus the fact that it supports

the wide range of indicators available on the Chenbro case, I just had to find one.

This wasnt easy being in the UK. However I tracked down a supplier, and took delivery

of the X7SPA HF D525 board just the other day.

If anyone is interested, I bought it from here.

http://www.the-it-department.co.uk/index.html

I did the transplant into my unraid server yesterday.

I am totally impressed with this board, All I had to do was rearrange the disks in my array, and it all went well.

I love the BMC controller on this board, since my unraid is running headless, it gives full control of the box from any pc on the network.

This board is thoroughly recommended.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I just built my first unRaid machine with the Atom 525 version of this board. I posted this elsewhere in the forum but thought it wouldn't hurt to put it in this thread :)

I'd just like to update everyone and say my Atom525 board is working just great. I just took the server down for a few minutes to replace the stock fans with 2 80mm and 1 120mm GEILD PWM fans.

The motherboard only has 2 PWM fan headers so the two rear 80mm exhaust fans are split with a Y cable to connect to the PWM header.

Also, I'm up to 6 HDDs and using unRaid Plus. When I fill up my space (still got a ways to go) I need to buy the Supermicro 8 port SATA card before I can add any more drives.

smittyunraid.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This board is the "flex-atx" Supermicro's proprietary board size. It's about 1" longer than mini-itx. Supermicro included some plastic standoffs that snap to the board since most cases won't have tapped holes in the extra spots for standoffs.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by plastic standoffs; could you please post pictures? Do you think this board will work with the Lian-Li Mini-ITX PC-Q08 case? This case has built-in standoffs (see pictures in link). If it doesn't fit, I'll have to go with the D510 version of the Supermicro board.

bcbgboy13 says: "Important - this particular chipset uses only memory with internal organization of x8 (for example 1GBit chips have to be 128Mx8, modules build using 256Mx4 or 64Mx16 DRAMs are not supported)"

I am planning to use the X8SIL-F-O board.

The Supermicro memory spec. calls for: "1-Gb or 2-Gb x8 devices only", is this the restriction you are talking about?

I how do I identify memory modules that are 128Mx8??

I'd just like to update everyone and say my Atom525 board is working just great. I just took the server down for a few minutes to replace the stock fans with 2 80mm and 1 120mm GEILD PWM fans.

The motherboard only has 2 PWM fan headers so the two rear 80mm exhaust fans are split with a Y cable to connect to the PWM header.

Also, I'm up to 6 HDDs and using unRaid Plus. When I fill up my space (still got a ways to go) I need to buy the Supermicro 8 port SATA card before I can add any more drives.

So far I've had no issues with my SM X7SPA-HF board with SASLP MV8.  I've now maxxed out all SATA ports (6 MOBO and 8 PCI card), all with 2TB WD drives.  My only "expansion" option left is to wait for a SuperMicro UEFI board that supports 3TB drives (and unRAID 5+) and then start swapping out the 2TB for 3TB drives.

The reason I want to stick with SuperMicro is because of their IPMI feature as this is an invaluable feature for me as it allows me to run this machine headless and I am able to control this machine from anywhere.  Over an internet connection, it's performance is very slow, which is why I remote to one of my computers and control the SuperMicro from there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by plastic standoffs; could you please post pictures? Do you think this board will work with the Lian-Li Mini-ITX PC-Q08 case? This case has built-in standoffs (see pictures in link). If it doesn't fit, I'll have to go with the D510 version of the Supermicro board.

This particular sized motherboard varies a bit from the mini itx version. It has spots for standoffs in a few places most mini-itx boards do not. So, supermicro gives you small plastic standoffs that clip into the standoff holes in the motherboard and then just rest on the case beneath them. They are secured to the motherboard instead of the case.

I don't think you will have any issues with the built in standoffs on your case.

Flex-ATX boards are 7.5" x 6.75", and the mini-ITX spec is 6.75" x 6.75".  But there are D525 versions in both layouts.

Correct, newegg only had the flex-atx version when I purchased it. Looks like the mini itx version still hasn't hit retailers yet. As far as I can tell the two boards are identical besides the slight size variance.

So far I've had no issues with my SM X7SPA-HF board with SASLP MV8.  I've now maxxed out all SATA ports (6 MOBO and 8 PCI card), all with 2TB WD drives.  My only "expansion" option left is to wait for a SuperMicro UEFI board that supports 3TB drives (and unRAID 5+) and then start swapping out the 2TB for 3TB drives.

The reason I want to stick with SuperMicro is because of their IPMI feature as this is an invaluable feature for me as it allows me to run this machine headless and I am able to control this machine from anywhere.  Over an internet connection, it's performance is very slow, which is why I remote to one of my computers and control the SuperMicro from there.

Cool, I didn't realize IPMI worked outside the LAN. I might have to check that out sometime. I've filled about 3.5TB out of my 8.0TB of useable space so I should have some time before I need to buy that 8 port card. I'm considering getting a blu ray drive and ripping my blu ray collection. Right now I watch blu ray on my PS3.

Also, I would like to say my system is two months old and has exactly ZERO crashes. I accidentally pulled the power once and the computer booted back up and passed a parity check.

I do occasionally get hicups streaming over gigabit ethernet and long delays when first accessing the shares but 99% of the time it is flawless.

I love this board!

I have 2 already and just ordered an open box one from the egg 2 days ago for $108!

I have no clue what i am going to do with it, but at that price i would have shot myself if i didn't get it.

I have one in a CHENBRO ES34069-BK-180 and one in a mid tower with a SASLP MV8 and supermicro 3-in-5 cage.

I would get a second Chenbro, but the price has gone way up. It's a nice case but the $200 price point is pushing it.

Does anyone know if the 120 watt version will work with this board, 4 gigs of ram and 5 drives, 4 green 2tb's and 1 laptop 7200?

I would like to keep the clean look of all matched  cases. If not I'll change brands.

Very nice  :)

I myself built my first Unraid server about 1 month ago.

I opted for the small footprint Chenbro ES34069 chassis

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=42

Did you use the 120 watt or the 180 watt PS for your build?