GA-MA785G-UD3H won't boot Unraid

Rob Beckers

I've just finished building a media server based on a Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H, AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHZ, 2GB RAM (Kingston KVR800D2N6K2/2G) and the usual. Unfortunately I'm having a heck of a time getting Unraid to work on it. From other posts here I know this motherboard should work fine with Unraid, so I'm scratching my head.

Here's what I've tried sofar:

• Tried 3 different USB sticks, an old 256MB Sandisk Cruzer, 8GB Corsair, and 4GB Verbatim Tuff-N-Tiny. The latter is the one I intend to use for this rig. I've found that to make this motherboard boot from USB it needs FAT (ie. FAT32 won't work), and for the larger sticks I've used FlashBoot to create the right FAT16 structure. Other than that, all three sticks have the same.
  • Prepping the sticks with "format e:" and "syslinux -ma e:" works fine in getting FreeDOS to boot and work.
  • When copying Unraid v4.4.2 to the stick after the above prep it boots to the menu. I can choose and run Memtest86 (ran it overnight, no errors), when selecting Unraid it loads bzimage, and bzroot, briefly flashes "ready" (or was it "done", don't recall), then reboots the computer.
  • When copying Unraid v4.5 to the USB stick it never gets to the menu. Boot fails with "Error: Could not find kernel image: Linux".
  • Since v4.4.2 at least boots to the menu, I prepared a stick with the v4.4.2 files, *except* for bzimage and bzroot. Then copied bzimage and bzroot from v4.5 to the stick instead. This boots to the menu, when selecting Unraid it loads until "ready" and, again, reboots the computer every time.
  • I've tried the latest version of syslinux (from their project page), as well as the version LimeTech has for download, no difference.
  • I've tried the motherboard at its factory default BIOS settings, as well as switching off all the unneeded hardware (COM,LPT,IDE etc.), no difference.
  • I've tried BIOS vF4 (came loaded on it), as well as their latest vF5B, no difference.
  • I've gone over the list of suggestions at http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation, as well as adding the "noapic, nolapic, apic=off" as suggested in a post, no effect.

That about sums it up...

I've been building computers since the early '80s, lots of experience in that area. Very little Linux experience unfortunately. So be gentle!  ;)

Thank you for any help you can give to resolve this!

-Rob-

I've just finished building a media server based on a Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H, AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHZ, 2GB RAM (Kingston KVR800D2N6K2/2G) and the usual. Unfortunately I'm having a heck of a time getting Unraid to work on it. From other posts here I know this motherboard should work fine with Unraid, so I'm scratching my head.

Here's what I've tried sofar:

• Tried 3 different USB sticks, an old 256MB Sandisk Cruzer, 8GB Corsair, and 4GB Verbatim Tuff-N-Tiny. The latter is the one I intend to use for this rig. I've found that to make this motherboard boot from USB it needs FAT (ie. FAT32 won't work), and for the larger sticks I've used FlashBoot to create the right FAT16 structure. Other than that, all three sticks have the same.
  • Prepping the sticks with "format e:" and "syslinux -ma e:" works fine in getting FreeDOS to boot and work.
  • When copying Unraid v4.4.2 to the stick after the above prep it boots to the menu. I can choose and run Memtest86 (ran it overnight, no errors), when selecting Unraid it loads bzimage, and bzroot, briefly flashes "ready" (or was it "done", don't recall), then reboots the computer.
  • When copying Unraid v4.5 to the USB stick it never gets to the menu. Boot fails with "Error: Could not find kernel image: Linux".
  • Since v4.4.2 at least boots to the menu, I prepared a stick with the v4.4.2 files, *except* for bzimage and bzroot. Then copied bzimage and bzroot from v4.5 to the stick instead. This boots to the menu, when selecting Unraid it loads until "ready" and, again, reboots the computer every time.
  • I've tried the latest version of syslinux (from their project page), as well as the version LimeTech has for download, no difference.
  • I've tried the motherboard at its factory default BIOS settings, as well as switching off all the unneeded hardware (COM,LPT,IDE etc.), no difference.
  • I've tried BIOS vF4 (came loaded on it), as well as their latest vF5B, no difference.
  • I've gone over the list of suggestions at http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation, as well as adding the "noapic, nolapic, apic=off" as suggested in a post, no effect.

That about sums it up...

I've been building computers since the early '80s, lots of experience in that area. Very little Linux experience unfortunately. So be gentle!  ;)

Thank you for any help you can give to resolve this!

-Rob-

Do a google search for the the HP Flash formatting tool and try using that quick.  See if it changes anything and then report back.

Do a google search for the the HP Flash formatting tool and try using that quick.  See if it changes anything and then report back.

Tried that, but can't make any bootable USB sticks with the HP tool (tried several versions), at least not for this PC. On the other hand, a stick made with syslinux boots fine, it's when control is passed to the kernel that things go kaboom.

-Rob

I used the Lexar Firefly 2Gb with my 785G-UD3H setup and have had no issue.  Just switched to boot from the USB, ensured HPA was off so as not to cause issues with parity drive size and off I went.  I formated my stick within windows 7 using nothing special.  I formatted as FAT 32 and had no problem booting from it.  Where did you read that this MoBo won't use FAT32? Actually, per the unRaid Wiki, the stick must be FAT32.  Reformat as FAT32 and reinstall unRaid on it and try again.  Make sure to follow these instructions exactly http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation (like nameing the volume UNRAID in all caps.)

Like I said, that's the mother board I'm using and actually in the process of Level 2 compatibility testing.  You also have the same CPU and same amount of RAM (though different brand) so I don't think it's a hardware issue.  Also, I've noticed none of the three USB sticks you've mentioned using are listed at http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#USB_Flash_Drives .  I'm sure that most new ones should work fine, but you never know, maybe you just got unlucky with your selections, though I bet it's just that you're formatting at FAT and not FAT32. 

Also, one more, did you try unlocking your second core on the 140?  I did on mine, it looked like it worked and was recognized in bios; however, it wouldn't let me boot into unRaid.  Just froze up trying to get the second core.... If you unlocked it, just reset that setting and see what happens, if not, I'm sticking by my FAT32 comment above.

Hi Vampyre,

Nope, didn't try to unlock the second core (after reading that unRaid doesn't use it there didn't seem much point, plus I'm trying to keep power use of this box down so a second core would just have added to the load).

I started my trials to boot from USB with the 8GB Corsair stick, and couldn't get that to boot unless I formatted it as FAT rather than FAT32, limiting it to 4GB. That's what caused me to think the MB couldn't do FAT32 for USB booting. This was for running FreeDOS, before I tried unRaid. By the way, the instructions on http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation do mention "for others, selecting a file system of FAT or FAT16 was necessary", so FAT32 doesn't seem a requirement for unRaid.

Just tried the 256MB Sandisk Cruzer stick with FAT32 (b.t.w. Sandisk is on the LimeTech "approved" list), and yes, it does boot with that file system. So, we'll put that issue down to Corsair-specific problems. Unfortunately that has no resolved the larger difficulties of getting unRaid to boot/run. Even when formatted in FAT32, with the volume label set to "UNRAID", when I put the v4.5 files on it I get the message "Error: Could not find kernel image: Linux".

When using the v4.4.2 release it does start loading bzimage and bzroot, briefly flashes "ready", then reboots the system (and that will repeat).

As you say, you have the same MB and it just works. So there must be something simple/stupid I'm overlooking. If only I could put my finger on it. Did you set anything special in the BIOS? HPA is off as far as I can tell, and that's the BIOS default.

I should add that I'm using XP to prepare the USB stick.

-Rob-

Hi Vampyre,

Nope, didn't try to unlock the second core (after reading that unRaid doesn't use it there didn't seem much point, plus I'm trying to keep power use of this box down so a second core would just have added to the load).

I started my trials to boot from USB with the 8GB Corsair stick, and couldn't get that to boot unless I formatted it as FAT rather than FAT32, limiting it to 4GB. That's what caused me to think the MB couldn't do FAT32 for USB booting. This was for running FreeDOS, before I tried unRaid. By the way, the instructions on http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation do mention "for others, selecting a file system of FAT or FAT16 was necessary", so FAT32 doesn't seem a requirement for unRaid.

Just tried the 256MB Sandisk Cruzer stick with FAT32 (b.t.w. Sandisk is on the LimeTech "approved" list), and yes, it does boot with that file system. So, we'll put that issue down to Corsair-specific problems. Unfortunately that has no resolved the larger difficulties of getting unRaid to boot/run. Even when formatted in FAT32, with the volume label set to "UNRAID", when I put the v4.5 files on it I get the message "Error: Could not find kernel image: Linux".

When using the v4.4.2 release it does start loading bzimage and bzroot, briefly flashes "ready", then reboots the system (and that will repeat).

As you say, you have the same MB and it just works. So there must be something simple/stupid I'm overlooking. If only I could put my finger on it. Did you set anything special in the BIOS? HPA is off as far as I can tell, and that's the BIOS default.

I should add that I'm using XP to prepare the USB stick.

-Rob-

What version of syslinux are you using?  Many have posted that newer versions are needed for some MB and newer versions of unRAID.

You mentioned a few of the boot codes, but it did not sound like you tried them all, just those mentioned in one post.

I think you'll find your answer to booting that MB there...  I'd experiment with the 4.4.2 version, since it seems to get the furthest in your tests so far.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Boot_Codes

Hmm.... I missed the part about FAT for other USB sticks in that instruction set.  Also, the Cruzer Micro is supported not the plain Cruzer (are they different anymore?)  Though I don't really think it's a USB stick compatibility issue.  Have you tried redownloading all the files and reinstalling to make sure something in the original download wasn't corrupted?

I've tried both the latest syslinux (v3.84), as well as the version on the LimeTech download site (not sure what version that is). Same lack of success.

I've also downloaded the unRaid distributions multiple times, and used different programs to unzip/copy the files just in case something was corrupting them.

There is some progress: The Sandisk stick with unRaid v4.5 boots fine on an ancient P4 box I dragged up from the basement. So it would seem the stick and files on it are fine. Same stick on the GA-MA785G-UD3H results in ""Error: Could not find kernel image: Linux". That message comes from syslinux, meaning that it is loading syslinux and executing the MBR.

In short, evidence is pointing to the Gigabyte board as the culprit. Not a clue though why it's not working; as others reported the same MB works fine for them, and  I can boot from USB stick to FreeDOS without a hitch as well on that same MB (also using syslinux as the boot manager, just as unRaid uses). The head-scratching continues...

-Rob-

I've tried both the latest syslinux (v3.84), as well as the version on the LimeTech download site (not sure what version that is). Same lack of success.

I've also downloaded the unRaid distributions multiple times, and used different programs to unzip/copy the files just in case something was corrupting them.

There is some progress: The Sandisk stick with unRaid v4.5 boots fine on an ancient P4 box I dragged up from the basement. So it would seem the stick and files on it are fine. Same stick on the GA-MA785G-UD3H results in ""Error: Could not find kernel image: Linux". That message comes from syslinux, meaning that it is loading syslinux and executing the MBR.

In short, evidence is pointing to the Gigabyte board as the culprit. Not a clue though why it's not working; as others reported the same MB works fine for them, and  I can boot from USB stick to FreeDOS without a hitch as well on that same MB (also using syslinux as the boot manager, just as unRaid uses). The head-scratching continues...

-Rob-

I've been there... exactly the same set of symptoms... and was falsely thinking that unRAID could not handle a flash drive bigger than 512 Meg.    Obviously, it can...

I had purchased a pair of 1Gig drives for my server when lime-tech moved to the 3.0 release series.  They would boot perfectly fine on my laptop, but not in the unRAID server.  The original 128 Meg lime-technology provided flash drive was working perfectly on the older version 2.XX of unRAID, so I knew the MB was fine.

The issue was the MB BIOS was unable to deal with the geometry of the flash drive as reported by it.  I had to use the HP formatting tool which re-sets the reported geometry.

Joe L.

I've re-flashed the MB back to BIOS vF4, the default that it comes with rather than the beta vF5 I was trying before. Did this by booting from a USB stick to FreeDOS. This was the 4GB Verbatim stick, and I had to reformat it to FAT16 or the MB wouldn't boot syslinux from it.

Also disconnected all hard disks, and unneeded connectors from the MB (such as audio, external USB etc.), just in case something was messing up the works.

The 256MB Sandisk stick with unRAID on it, on FAT32, still shows the same error on boot though, as described in the previous post.

Still no luck...

-Rob-

Thanks Joe!

I'll try that next (my previous post and yours overlapped). There are several versions of the HP out there, that do something slightly different, any favorite?

As mentioned, I did try the HP tool(s) before in an attempt to make a bootable FreeDOS USB stick for this same MB and didn't have much luck. But, I'm getting desperate and will try again!  :-\

-Rob-

Thanks Joe!

I'll try that next (my previous post and yours overlapped). There are several versions of the HP out there, that do something slightly different, any favorite?

As mentioned, I did try the HP tool(s) before in an attempt to make a bootable FreeDOS USB stick for this same MB and didn't have much luck. But, I'm getting desperate and will try again!  :-\

-Rob-

I'd stick with FAT, since you know that booted freeDOS.

Make sure you remove any U3 software on the flash drives... (if any)

My version of the HP tool is version 2.0.6 and is from 2004 when I last used it.

Joe L.

Joe, you're my hero! SUCCESS!!!

Reformatted the Sandisk and the 4GB Verbatim using the HP Disk Storage Format Tool v2.1.8, in FAT32, then "syslinux -ma d:", and copied the unRaid v4.5 files onto them. Both now boot like a charm and unRaid is running! Just writing it down here in some detail, in case someone else runs into the same issues. This took me 4 solid days of trial-and-error (mostly error)...

I have no explanation why previous attempts with the HP tool were unsuccessful. At that time I was trying to make the 8GB Corsair stick boot FreeDOS and couldn't get that to work. Maybe it's the stick. Maybe it was something else.

By the way, the MB BIOS settings are all absolutely default at this time, the only change was to select USB-HD as the boot device. That's probably not the best for unRaid, and I'll make changes, but in case anyone else is trying with this MB it might be good to know.

Thanks everyone!

-Rob-

I would update the BIOS back to the current version for your motherboard.  With the Gigabyte boards you have to be aware of the HPA issue (search the Topical Index for info) and how to fix it.  I think the newer BIOS should allow you to disable it completely which to do what to do!

Took a little time, as I wanted to test it with the drives I have before answering, and pre-clear took almost 2 days to run on those drives (2TB each). They are online now.

As mentioned in a previous post I've flashed the BIOS back to version F4. That is the current shipping version of this MB. There is a beta F5, but I'd rather not use betas since this is to be a production file server (stability is more important than the latest and greatest). The F4 version has a setting named "Backup BIOS image to HDD", which by default is disabled. This, I believe, controls HPA. In any event, unRaid is working fine with those drives and BIOS settings.

In other words, and for anyone that buys this MB, the BIOS version that it ships with, and the default settings of that BIOS, will work without any issue as far as HPA is concerned.

-Rob-

I just built an unraid server last week with this board as well (although different processor and ram).  I had to use the HP formatting tool as well in order to get the memory stick to boot.  As already noted, the HPA was disabled by default.   My system has been working great for a week, although I haven't added a parity drive or battery backup yet.

Edit: For future readers, the usb stick I used was a Patriot XPorter 4 GB.  Also, I'm getting transfer speeds of 70+ MBS moving mp3s from my windows machine to my unraid server (with parity off)  ;D.

• 1 year later...

Data point: requiring the HP tool seems more dependent on the motherboard than the stick. I formatted some 8GB Lexar's with windows and ran the AIO setup and it booted fine on two newer machines but would not boot from my unraid box until I formatted with the HP utility and ran the AIO. FTR I used HP Disk Storage Format Tool v2.1.8 as suggested by Joe.