Feature Request: Have early package installation mechanism

ken-ji

In line with the security concerns, I'm really thinking we need a way to install packages early.

• lets have a location /boot/config/patches
  • say samba needs updates, so a new samba.txz is released (or taken from Slackware upstream)
  • we save the package there.
  • during startup, unraid sees the package (before anything else starts up - before the network even) and applies it - upgrading the contents of the ram disk

Of course I see some issues with this as some unRAID installations might become different from other installs of the same "version", but i think this is an important feature /framework to mitigate security issues. or really bad gotcha's with like docker deprecating old versions and what not.

Edit: corrected a typo

The earliest you can get on current systems is using /boot/extra/ for early packages. It is invoked from the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script before any /boot/config/plugins/*.plg are installed, which is also before /boot/config/go script is kicked off that is before emhttp is launched. However, that is all at the very end of what /etc/rc.d/rc.M kicks off, so you still have networking and samba starting before that point.