unRAID apps - "Beta" applications

Hi,

I've almost finished setting up all the apps etc. that I want running on my unRAID server and it's all going pretty well but I have a fairly simple question regarding beta applications.

If I install a beta application, what happens when it comes out of beta? Does the beta move into a separate kind of "dev" branch so it keeps updating to bleeding edge or will it just automatically update to the final once that's released?

I'm looking at installing the linuxserver.io ownCloud plugin. All of my other plugins are linuxserver.io and so far I've found them to be consistently good, reliable and, importantly, updated/maintained, which is why I was planning on installing the linuxserver.io version rather than the other non-beta ones (no discredit to the other plugin devs, they've all done a great job and I have used the other ones, but right now linuxserver.io ones seem to be the most up to date).

Thanks, didn't realise that existed. Will check it out. Although looking on unRAID, Nextcloud on unRAID is also in beta so my question still applies.. will it automatically update to the non-beta version when that's available or will I have to set everything up again? If I do have to set it up again, is it as simple as just deleting the docker, getting the new one, and using the same appdata config directory?

Thanks, didn't realise that existed. Will check it out. Although looking on unRAID, Nextcloud on unRAID is also in beta so my question still applies.. will it automatically update to the non-beta version when that's available or will I have to set everything up again? If I do have to set it up again, is it as simple as just deleting the docker, getting the new one, and using the same appdata config directory?

In the general case I would say it depends on the specific docker. In this specific case, I will let CHBMB or someone else from LSIO respond.

Nextcloud is purely in a beta repo, we may however move it to a different repository at some point, I've been using it myself since before we released it (to test)  One issue with Nextcloud is how to update it, at the moment it requires a bit of command line action, which I tested yesterday and upgraded to V10.0.0 but at the moment I can't say whether that will be a permanent thing or whether we'll go a different route.

Nextcloud is purely in a beta repo, we may however move it to a different repository at some point, I've been using it myself since before we released it (to test)  One issue with Nextcloud is how to update it, at the moment it requires a bit of command line action, which I tested yesterday and upgraded to V10.0.0 but at the moment I can't say whether that will be a permanent thing or whether we'll go a different route.

the problem with updating nextcloud through the webui as you would do with owncloud was server side, on v9 it required a fix a couple of versions ago for an incorrect server link that stopped updates, but then the next version that was "fixed" wasn't reporting the installed version to the server so would never update anyways...

you couldn't make it up, lol.

as for v10 updating if and when there is an update in the v10 series, who knows ?

If I install a beta application, what happens when it comes out of beta? Does the beta move into a separate kind of "dev" branch so it keeps updating to bleeding edge or will it just automatically update to the final once that's released?

For more of a general answer to this (rather than detailing with regards to OwnCloud/NextCloud), most of the time an update is available to the docker application.  No uninstallation / installation would be required.  Sometimes the repository that the application is contained within (eg: lsio's beta repository) will get updated and the app will move to the main, non-beta repository but the actual application again would merely show an update available for it.

Ah thanks, that's basically the answer I was looking for. So technically it's not locked to the original repository it was installed from, and the developer has the option to allow the update to use the non-beta repo. Good to know!

Some apps can be labelled as beta but in the regular repository though, As far as I l know we're the only docker guys here who move stuff around.  Better to look at "Beta" as a tag only in general, we sometime move non-beta apps between repositories as well, like we are with our recent reconfiguration.