So frustration aside with trying to correct this problem as stated above....
I've downgraded once again to 6.1.9, the last version that I can use where I'm able to view the NAS on the network. Essentially the upgrades to 6.2 and higher all are taking the NAS off the homegroup/workgroup which technically has no members aside from the NAS, and then making it impossible to connect to.
On 6.1.9, the workgroup is visible on kodi and any laptop, I'm able to browse, etc, no problems.
On anything later, connections timeout and no connection can be made.
I've been attempting to alleviate this for some hours now and with absolutely no luck.
If I put the NAS on its own workgroup/homegroup, why am I unable to see said workgroup/homegroup or any other computer to join?
I know homegroups are a total cluster-f*ck and have caused major pains for everyone since their inception, but is anyone able to help me in the right direction with this? All my network settings are the same as they are in 6.1.9, with the exception of that additional NIC card that 6.2.4 creates, which doesnt actually exist. eth0 is the correct one, all the settings for it are the same.... yet no connection is able to be made, no network discovery of the NAS on any computer, no homegroup visible, etc.
Have a windows 7 laptop and desktop, and a windows10 laptop. Nothing sees this NAS when it's on anything 6.2 or higher, but visible on 6.1.9.
I'm at a complete loss for what my next step should be so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
It's hard to say without your diagnostics. Please see Need help? Read me first!, and attach the diagnostics zip.
I'm not a networking expert, some here would know better, but I've been wondering if downgrading SMB to 2.0.2 would help with this issue too? Anyone know?
I'm posting the 6.1.9 systemlog, followed by the 6.2.4 upgrade system log, as well as the diagnostics.
I'm afraid I don't see anything directly wrong, nothing that clearly causes your machine to not be visible to your Windows machines. In both 6.1.9 and 6.2.4, your Qualcomm networking appears to be setup correctly as eth0, and NTP is happy with it so networking is working, packets are flowing (not many so far, but it just started). The networking config files look fine. So I'll mention various other things I saw below, but I don't see how they could be limiting your visibility.
* You have 3 networking chipsets:
- a wireless controller on the board, no driver so it's ignored; might be a good idea to go into the BIOS and turn it off
- an Intel gigabit chipset onboard, using e1000e, not used but I think is your best one, configured and set to eth1, appears to be setup fine but no connection
- the Qualcomm Atheros gigabit chipset, using alx, 'on the board' but not 'onboard', configured and set to eth0, working fine
* Looks like multiple dependency problems:
- 5 old libraries being loaded from /boot/extra, including 3 old pythons(!) - I strongly recommend deleting them all and using the NerdPack plugin to load only the latest; for 6.2 python should be 2.7.12; if at all possible, /boot/extra should be empty, use NerdPack as much as you can
--- ncurses-5.9-x86_64-2 (something else is also loading ncurses-5.9-x86_64-4)
--- python-2.6.4-i486-1 (32 bit???)
--- python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz (32 bit???)
--- python-2.7.3-i686-5PTr (32 bit???) that's 3 big pythons loaded, the correct one should be python-2.7.12-x86_64-1 from NerdPack
- all of the above are from 2014 or 2013
- in addition, you are running UnMenu and loading more old packages from /boot/packages; I can't see what's in there or what's loaded but I do see a dev environment loaded, a compiler and make, and I have to assume they are old too
- for example, unRAID loaded glibc-2.23-x86_64-1, UnMenu (I assume) loaded glibc-2.17-x86_64-7; both are present
--- at the end of the 6.2.4 syslog, you have a segfault and errors about "version `GLIBC_2.18' not found"; the segfault is the typical error for a dependency conflict
- it's loaded both utempter-1.1.5-x86_64-1 and utempter-1.1.6-x86_64-2
- make sure that kernel-headers-3.10.17-x86-3 is valid for 64 bit
* There's other evidence of old stuff, it's finding an old dynamix.plg and dynamix.kvm.manager and apcupsd; you should clean out anything older
* I imagine you know that ionotify.log is using up almost 2GB of flash drive space. It hasn't been used since March.
* Probably a separate issue or non-issue but the Dockers appear to only be on an internal network. Haven't used this but I think you would need to turn on bridging and set them to use br0, to make them visible externally. The 6.2 networking changes did affect how this works, see bonienl's comments in the Additional Upgrade Advice
I'm sorry I don't see a solution yet. Workgroup name is MEDIAHOME, so any Windows machine in that workgroup should see it. You may be the localMaster but you've been rebooting. May need a little more time for other machines to see you. I'm still curious about the SMB version, hope to see someone respond about that. My apologies in advance if I have made any mistakes above.