Author Topic: unRAID Server Release 6.2 Stable Release Available  (Read 46823 times)

Offline RobJ

• Global Moderator
  • Epox MF570 (nForce570)
Re: unRAID Server Release 6.2 Stable Release Available
« Reply #420 on: December 02, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »
So frustration aside with trying to correct this problem as stated above....
I've downgraded once again to 6.1.9, the last version that I can use where I'm able to view the NAS on the network.  Essentially the upgrades to 6.2 and higher all are taking the NAS off the homegroup/workgroup which technically has no members aside from the NAS, and then making it impossible to connect to.

On 6.1.9, the workgroup is visible on kodi and any laptop, I'm able to browse, etc, no problems.
On anything later, connections timeout and no connection can be made.
I've been attempting to alleviate this for some hours now and with absolutely no luck.
If I put the NAS on its own workgroup/homegroup, why am I unable to see said workgroup/homegroup or any other computer to join?

I know homegroups are a total cluster-f*ck and have caused major pains for everyone since their inception, but is anyone able to help me in the right direction with this?  All my network settings are the same as they are in 6.1.9, with the exception of that additional NIC card that 6.2.4 creates, which doesnt actually exist.  eth0 is the correct one, all the settings for it are the same.... yet no connection is able to be made, no network discovery of the NAS on any computer, no homegroup visible, etc.

Have a windows 7 laptop and desktop, and a windows10 laptop.  Nothing sees this NAS when it's on anything 6.2 or higher, but visible on 6.1.9.

I'm at a complete loss for what my next step should be so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to say without your diagnostics.  Please see Need help? Read me first!, and attach the diagnostics zip.

I'm not a networking expert, some here would know better, but I've been wondering if downgrading SMB to 2.0.2 would help with this issue too?  Anyone know?

I'm posting the 6.1.9 systemlog, followed by the 6.2.4 upgrade system log, as well as the diagnostics.

I'm afraid I don't see anything directly wrong, nothing that clearly causes your machine to not be visible to your Windows machines.  In both 6.1.9 and 6.2.4, your Qualcomm networking appears to be setup correctly as eth0, and NTP is happy with it so networking is working, packets are flowing (not many so far, but it just started).  The networking config files look fine.  So I'll mention various other things I saw below, but I don't see how they could be limiting your visibility.

* You have 3 networking chipsets:
 - a wireless controller on the board, no driver so it's ignored; might be a good idea to go into the BIOS and turn it off
 - an Intel gigabit chipset onboard, using e1000e, not used but I think is your best one, configured and set to eth1, appears to be setup fine but no connection
 - the Qualcomm Atheros gigabit chipset, using alx, 'on the board' but not 'onboard', configured and set to eth0, working fine

* Looks like multiple dependency problems:
 - 5 old libraries being loaded from /boot/extra, including 3 old pythons(!)  - I strongly recommend deleting them all and using the NerdPack plugin to load only the latest; for 6.2 python should be 2.7.12; if at all possible, /boot/extra should be empty, use NerdPack as much as you can
 --- ncurses-5.9-x86_64-2 (something else is also loading ncurses-5.9-x86_64-4)
 --- python-2.6.4-i486-1 (32 bit???)
 --- python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz (32 bit???)
 --- python-2.7.3-i686-5PTr (32 bit???) that's 3 big pythons loaded, the correct one should be python-2.7.12-x86_64-1 from NerdPack
 --- unrar-5.0.14-x86_64-1ponce
 - all of the above are from 2014 or 2013
 - in addition, you are running UnMenu and loading more old packages from /boot/packages; I can't see what's in there or what's loaded but I do see a dev environment loaded, a compiler and make, and I have to assume they are old too
 - for example, unRAID loaded glibc-2.23-x86_64-1, UnMenu (I assume) loaded glibc-2.17-x86_64-7; both are present
 --- at the end of the 6.2.4 syslog, you have a segfault and errors about "version `GLIBC_2.18' not found"; the segfault is the typical error for a dependency conflict
 - it's loaded both utempter-1.1.5-x86_64-1 and utempter-1.1.6-x86_64-2
 - make sure that kernel-headers-3.10.17-x86-3 is valid for 64 bit

* There's other evidence of old stuff, it's finding an old dynamix.plg and dynamix.kvm.manager and apcupsd; you should clean out anything older

* I imagine you know that ionotify.log is using up almost 2GB of flash drive space.  It hasn't been used since March.

* Probably a separate issue or non-issue but the Dockers appear to only be on an internal network.  Haven't used this but I think you would need to turn on bridging and set them to use br0, to make them visible externally.  The 6.2 networking changes did affect how this works, see bonienl's comments in the Additional Upgrade Advice.

I'm sorry I don't see a solution yet.  Workgroup name is MEDIAHOME, so any Windows machine in that workgroup should see it.  You may be the localMaster but you've been rebooting.  May need a little more time for other machines to see you.  I'm still curious about the SMB version, hope to see someone respond about that.  My apologies in advance if I have made any mistakes above.
Need V6 help? Read me first!      Guide to Upgrading to UnRAID v6      Tips and Tweaks
Need other help, start here:  Troubleshooting      Questions?  Try the FAQ      Please help update the unRAID Wiki

Offline magiin83

« Reply #421 on: December 02, 2016, 09:01:39 AM »
So frustration aside with trying to correct this problem as stated above....
I've downgraded once again to 6.1.9, the last version that I can use where I'm able to view the NAS on the network.  Essentially the upgrades to 6.2 and higher all are taking the NAS off the homegroup/workgroup which technically has no members aside from the NAS, and then making it impossible to connect to.

On 6.1.9, the workgroup is visible on kodi and any laptop, I'm able to browse, etc, no problems.
On anything later, connections timeout and no connection can be made.
I've been attempting to alleviate this for some hours now and with absolutely no luck.
If I put the NAS on its own workgroup/homegroup, why am I unable to see said workgroup/homegroup or any other computer to join?

I know homegroups are a total cluster-f*ck and have caused major pains for everyone since their inception, but is anyone able to help me in the right direction with this?  All my network settings are the same as they are in 6.1.9, with the exception of that additional NIC card that 6.2.4 creates, which doesnt actually exist.  eth0 is the correct one, all the settings for it are the same.... yet no connection is able to be made, no network discovery of the NAS on any computer, no homegroup visible, etc.

Have a windows 7 laptop and desktop, and a windows10 laptop.  Nothing sees this NAS when it's on anything 6.2 or higher, but visible on 6.1.9.

I'm at a complete loss for what my next step should be so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to say without your diagnostics.  Please see Need help? Read me first!, and attach the diagnostics zip.

I'm not a networking expert, some here would know better, but I've been wondering if downgrading SMB to 2.0.2 would help with this issue too?  Anyone know?

I'm posting the 6.1.9 systemlog, followed by the 6.2.4 upgrade system log, as well as the diagnostics.

I'm afraid I don't see anything directly wrong, nothing that clearly causes your machine to not be visible to your Windows machines.  In both 6.1.9 and 6.2.4, your Qualcomm networking appears to be setup correctly as eth0, and NTP is happy with it so networking is working, packets are flowing (not many so far, but it just started).  The networking config files look fine.  So I'll mention various other things I saw below, but I don't see how they could be limiting your visibility.

* You have 3 networking chipsets:
 - a wireless controller on the board, no driver so it's ignored; might be a good idea to go into the BIOS and turn it off
 - an Intel gigabit chipset onboard, using e1000e, not used but I think is your best one, configured and set to eth1, appears to be setup fine but no connection
 - the Qualcomm Atheros gigabit chipset, using alx, 'on the board' but not 'onboard', configured and set to eth0, working fine

* Looks like multiple dependency problems:
 - 5 old libraries being loaded from /boot/extra, including 3 old pythons(!)  - I strongly recommend deleting them all and using the NerdPack plugin to load only the latest; for 6.2 python should be 2.7.12; if at all possible, /boot/extra should be empty, use NerdPack as much as you can
 --- ncurses-5.9-x86_64-2 (something else is also loading ncurses-5.9-x86_64-4)
 --- python-2.6.4-i486-1 (32 bit???)
 --- python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz (32 bit???)
 --- python-2.7.3-i686-5PTr (32 bit???) that's 3 big pythons loaded, the correct one should be python-2.7.12-x86_64-1 from NerdPack
 --- unrar-5.0.14-x86_64-1ponce
 - all of the above are from 2014 or 2013
 - in addition, you are running UnMenu and loading more old packages from /boot/packages; I can't see what's in there or what's loaded but I do see a dev environment loaded, a compiler and make, and I have to assume they are old too
 - for example, unRAID loaded glibc-2.23-x86_64-1, UnMenu (I assume) loaded glibc-2.17-x86_64-7; both are present
 --- at the end of the 6.2.4 syslog, you have a segfault and errors about "version `GLIBC_2.18' not found"; the segfault is the typical error for a dependency conflict
 - it's loaded both utempter-1.1.5-x86_64-1 and utempter-1.1.6-x86_64-2
 - make sure that kernel-headers-3.10.17-x86-3 is valid for 64 bit

* There's other evidence of old stuff, it's finding an old dynamix.plg and dynamix.kvm.manager and apcupsd; you should clean out anything older

* I imagine you know that ionotify.log is using up almost 2GB of flash drive space.  It hasn't been used since March.

* Probably a separate issue or non-issue but the Dockers appear to only be on an internal network.  Haven't used this but I think you would need to turn on bridging and set them to use br0, to make them visible externally.  The 6.2 networking changes did affect how this works, see bonienl's comments in the Additional Upgrade Advice.

I'm sorry I don't see a solution yet.  Workgroup name is MEDIAHOME, so any Windows machine in that workgroup should see it.  You may be the localMaster but you've been rebooting.  May need a little more time for other machines to see you.  I'm still curious about the SMB version, hope to see someone respond about that.  My apologies in advance if I have made any mistakes above.

So... it looks like one of those dependencies in /packages could've somehow been conflicting with the network discovery.  Just deleted everything that was in there since they were in fack from 2013 and 2014, and cleared out the go script as well as that also needed some cleaning (and should've really been done before I did the 6.2.4 upgrade).... and voila! network discovery! At least from my end at work, I wasn't able to get this far and have kodi detect the workgroup, but now it is!  That has to be a good sign.

I'm glad you mentioned those older dependencies, reminded me I really had to go through them.
A million thank you's! Hopefully when I get home, I'll get much further with this and have this cleared out, but it's already a major improvement
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:20:01 AM by magiin83 »

Offline Frank1940

« Reply #422 on: December 02, 2016, 09:31:07 AM »
Be aware the SMB can take a lot of time to resolve everything the network (It  was written basically back in the days when the 80368 was the 'king of the hill') and was intended to add as little overhead to the CPU as possible.  As a result, its polling intervals are actually quite long--- think minutes!  Be sure that all of the name of your workgroup on all of your computers have the same name and all are in CAPS only.  (Windows ignores capitalization and Linux honors it.  I have never figured out quite how Samba resolves this issue.)  Sometimes, the best way to resolve issues is to shutdown every computer using SMB.  Then restart with your server and after about ten minutes start to add back in your computers slowly one at a time. 

What OS are you having issues with?

Plus, there are some nagging issues as MS has recently revised their version of SMB and the Samba group is still playing catch up.  I tend to suspect that some of their updates have broken some things...

If you want to force your unRAID server to become the Local Master, add these lines to the 'Settings'  >>  'SMB' icon  >>  'SMb Extras' tab:

Code: [Select]
[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

You might also install the  "Local Master" plugin for Dynamix.  You can find it listed in this post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.msg339559#msg339559

It will show which computer on the network is the Local Master.
Media Server --- Asus ATX DDR4 Motherboard H170-PRO/CSM, Intel 3.70 GHz Core i3-6100 CPU, 8GB RAM, 1 X WD RED 3TB, 5 x Seagate 3TB, StarTech.com 4 Port PEXSAT34RH (PCI Express 2.0 SATA III), Coolmaster RS450 PS, APC BX1000G UPS -- Currently running Ver 6.3.1 Pro

Test Bed for Software and Interface evaluation --- MSI Z97 PC Mate MB, Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, 3TB WD RED (Parity), 1TB Hitachi DeskStar HD(Parity 2),  3 X 1TB Hitachi DeskStar HD,     SATA2 PCI-Express x1 RAID Controller Card (Silicon Image SIL3132), CyperPower CP600LCD UPS  --Currently running Ver 6.3.1 Pro.

Offline magiin83

« Reply #423 on: December 02, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »
Be aware the SMB can take a lot of time to resolve everything the network (It  was written basically back in the days when the 80368 was the 'king of the hill') and was intended to add as little overhead to the CPU as possible.  As a result, its polling intervals are actually quite long--- think minutes!  Be sure that all of the name of your workgroup on all of your computers have the same name and all are in CAPS only.  (Windows ignores capitalization and Linux honors it.  I have never figured out quite how Samba resolves this issue.)  Sometimes, the best way to resolve issues is to shutdown every computer using SMB.  Then restart with your server and after about ten minutes start to add back in your computers slowly one at a time. 

What OS are you having issues with?

Plus, there are some nagging issues as MS has recently revised their version of SMB and the Samba group is still playing catch up.  I tend to suspect that some of their updates have broken some things...

If you want to force your unRAID server to become the Local Master, add these lines to the 'Settings'  >>  'SMB' icon  >>  'SMb Extras' tab:

[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

You might also install the  "Local Master" plugin for Dynamix.  You can find it listed in this post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.msg339559#msg339559

It will show which computer on the network is the Local Master.

Good to know about the Local Master plugin, I've installed it, and according to unraid workgroup settings, unraid is now the local master.
I believe those leftover dependencies that were in boot/packages (still from the hayday of unmenu... I know, I know, I just never got around to clearing things out, clearly a major oversight) we're causing this malfunction with the workgroups, or possibly something that was in the go script.

Regardless, at least from vpn'ing into my network, kodi now finds those drives that it could before, which is a very good sign at least until I get home.  Hopefully all the windows 7 and 10 computers will be able to see it as easily.  Unraid at the moment is the only thing turned on on the network at home, so that helps.

Online johnnie.black

• Leeloo Dallas Multi Pass
« Reply #424 on: December 02, 2016, 09:44:59 AM »
I'm still curious about the SMB version, hope to see someone respond about that.

I don't know if it will help but no harm in trying, he can try downgrading to SMB 2.0.2 or SMB 3.0.0 that is the same used by unRAID 6.1.9 (6.2.4 uses SMB 3.1.1)

To downgrade go to Settings -> SMB -> and add to "Samba extra configuration:"

max protocol = SMB2_02
or

max protocol = SMB3_00
Apply and then stop and re-start array, connected clients may need to reboot to reconnect, probably best to try 2.0.2 first due to the performance issues with v6.2 and SMB3.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:03:38 AM by johnnie.black »

Offline magiin83

« Reply #425 on: December 02, 2016, 09:52:20 AM »
I'm still curious about the SMB version, hope to see someone respond about that.

I don't know if it will help but no harm in trying, he can try downgrading to SMB 2.0.2 or SMB 3.0.0 that is the same used by unRAID 6.1.9 (6.2.4 uses SMB 3.1.1)

To downgrade go to Settings -> SMB -> and add to "Samba extra configuration:"

max protocol = SMB2_02
or

max protocol = SMB3_00
Connected clients may need to reboot to reconnect, probably best to try this 2.0.2 first due to the performance issues with v6.2 and SMB3.

I'll keep this in mind once I get home and see what the status is properly.
But I'm glad the parameters can be added if need be.
Thanks

Offline magiin83

« Reply #426 on: December 02, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
So after using the Local Master plugin and the smb commands to enter as extras, I'm able to in fact see the NAS now, on kodi.
As for windows 10, as soon as I booted up the computer, it showed on unraid that the windows 10 laptop took over as local master, even though I had entered those smb extra settings:
[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

So clearly win10 has it's own privileges.
Regardless, kodi can now find it on its own.  Windows 10 however, network discovery does not find it, but by ip I can connect to it no problem.
Anyway, thanks again too all who helped!  I agree with frank, this issue of networking is definitely off topic from the rest of this thread, but still very important for others to find information on.

Offline BobPhoenix

« Reply #427 on: December 02, 2016, 04:20:22 PM »
So after using the Local Master plugin and the smb commands to enter as extras, I'm able to in fact see the NAS now, on kodi.
As for windows 10, as soon as I booted up the computer, it showed on unraid that the windows 10 laptop took over as local master, even though I had entered those smb extra settings:
[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

Regardless, kodi can now find it on its own.  Windows 10 however, network discovery does not find it, but by ip I can connect to it no problem.
Anyway, thanks again too all who helped!  I agree with frank, this issue of networking is definitely off topic from the rest of this thread, but still very important for others to find information on.
Try using this:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters]
"MaintainServerList"="No"
See if that fixes your Windows 10 box from becoming the master browser.
1 - 6.0b5a unRAID server: Lian Li V2000, Tyan S5512GM4NR, 16GB, E3-1240, IBM M1015 to Intel RES2SV240, Win7x64 VM 6GB.
2 - 5.0rc16c unRAID server: Lian Li V2000, Tyan S5512GM2NR, 2GB, VM - ESXi 5.0, E3-1230, IBM M1015 to Intel RES2SV240.
3 - 5.0rc16c unRAID server: Lian Li V2000, Tyan S5512GM2NR, 2GB, VM - ESXi 5.0, E3-1230, IBM M1015 to Intel RES2SV240.
4 - 6.0b5a unRAID server: Lian Li V2000, SM X7SBE, 8GB, Q9550, 10x 3TB Toshibas - 1 WHS2011 VM.
5 - 5.0 unRAID server: N54L, 5 - 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000 1 3TB ST3000DM001
6 - 6.0b5a unRAID server: N54L, 9 - 2,3,4TB 7200rpm Hitachi drives 5 in external cage

Offline Frank1940

« Reply #428 on: December 02, 2016, 06:48:35 PM »
[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

Did you reboot the server?  It requires a reboot for those settings to take affect.
Media Server --- Asus ATX DDR4 Motherboard H170-PRO/CSM, Intel 3.70 GHz Core i3-6100 CPU, 8GB RAM, 1 X WD RED 3TB, 5 x Seagate 3TB, StarTech.com 4 Port PEXSAT34RH (PCI Express 2.0 SATA III), Coolmaster RS450 PS, APC BX1000G UPS -- Currently running Ver 6.3.1 Pro

Test Bed for Software and Interface evaluation --- MSI Z97 PC Mate MB, Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, 3TB WD RED (Parity), 1TB Hitachi DeskStar HD(Parity 2),  3 X 1TB Hitachi DeskStar HD,     SATA2 PCI-Express x1 RAID Controller Card (Silicon Image SIL3132), CyperPower CP600LCD UPS  --Currently running Ver 6.3.1 Pro.

Offline magiin83

« Reply #429 on: December 03, 2016, 07:49:29 AM »
[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

Did you reboot the server?  It requires a reboot for those settings to take affect.

Just did, as well as rebooted the windows 10 machine, unraid successfully took over as master now.
Hooray! Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:13:58 AM by magiin83 »

Offline alroofi

« Reply #430 on: December 03, 2016, 08:54:32 AM »
Lime-Tech is doing a tremendous job in developing a one stop shop for NAS & virtualization with hardware pass through for the non-experts! For those in the industry, very exciting news for home users. Kudos to Lime-Tech!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alroofi

« Reply #431 on: December 03, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »
Can't wait to upgrade tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RobJ

• Global Moderator
  • Epox MF570 (nForce570)
« Reply #432 on: December 22, 2016, 10:32:30 AM »
I finally got back to this, have moved the Windows issues discussion to its own thread:  Windows issues with unRAID
Need V6 help? Read me first!      Guide to Upgrading to UnRAID v6      Tips and Tweaks
Need other help, start here:  Troubleshooting      Questions?  Try the FAQ      Please help update the unRAID Wiki

Offline dAigo

« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
  • VLAN and multiple Ethernet support
I am currently looking into vlans in unraid. I could not find any detailed discussion/explanation, so i'll ask here.

http://blog.davidvassallo.me/2012/05/05/kvm-brctl-in-linux-bringing-vlans-to-the-guests/
From what i can see, LT went the first route, because I can see multiple sub-interfaces on eth0 when enabling VLANs.

The difference is that when subinterfaces are defined  on eth0, as noted previously Linux will strip the vlan tag, but when defined on the bridge, the vlan tags are kept. The vNICs are both members of the bridge, with the result that the tagged traffic is presented directly to them, with the VLAN tagging intact.

So you could send tagged traffic out, but the returning traffic won't be tagged anymore and, unless defined as PVID/native vlan, therefore ignored by the application inside your VM.

If you need ONE inteface in your VM with MANY vlans you would need to add every br0.X interface to the VM and build a bridge in the VM. (packets still wouldn't be tagged)
IF kvm would be the main reason for adding/using vlan (in my case it is...) the second way would be far better.
I think you could still use br0.X if your vm can't handle vlans (windows vm...).

I was looking into pfsense, vmware and other "vlan-aware" applications, but from what I see, that won't work?
I am not sure what a change from the current system would mean for other vlan use-cases or even normal usage, maybe it could get changed without harm?
Could I still disable vlans in the gui and manually add vlans to the bridge, or does it actually disable any vlan-functionallity?

If it was already discussed, i missed the party, sry :)

I could open another thread if you want to keep the anouncement clean :)
unRAID 6.2.4
MB: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING | CPU: i7-6700K (watercooled) | RAM: 32GB DDR4 (2x16GB) | GPU: NVIDIA GTX 980 TI (watercooled)
Cache: Intel 750 NVMe (400GB) | Parity: WD RED 6TB | Data: WD RED (2x 4TB + 2x 3TB) & Samsung 830 (256GB)
Plug-ins: "Community Applications", "Unassigned Devices", "VM Wake On Lan", "SNMP", "Cache Directories"