SMB Problem (Cant access \\Hostname, 0x80070035)

Hey guys,

I've set up unraid and it was all running pretty good for about 3 days now. Ive had a few problems with dockers but found great help here, I hope you can help me once again :)

At first all windows machines in the network were able to connect to the SMB Server via Explorer -> Network. After 3 days one of the PCs couldnt anymore, said "Cant connect to \\hostname" with the details being "Error Code 0x80070035, The network path wasnt found". My PC is set to german, so I'm translating here. All other PCs could still access it and see the shares this way.

I spent quite a while on trying to fix this. Just as a test, I changed the server name in the unraid settings. I was able to connect to the new hostname.

A day has passed and I'm facing the error on the same pc again, I just cant connect. I've tried several things google gave me. dns flushing, entering the machines ip and hostname to the hosts file...Nothing worked. Whats weird is that if i ping the hostname, it gets resolved correctly, its pinging my unraid machines IP and it happyly resonds. If I mount a network drive, \\Hostname\Sharename, it mounts it, I can connect to it and see the files in it. Also, if I enter \\192.168.178.100, which is the ip on the unraid machine, in the windows search...I can access it perfectly fine.

So I can connect via the IP, and my pc resoves the hostname to the correct IP. I also get to the webinterface via http://hostname just fine. I just dont understand why I cant connect to it via the Network tab in the windows explorer.

I have rebooted the PC, there were no firewall changes made (I even disabled it to try if that is the issue) and no windows updates were had in this time period.

Of course I could just place a shortcut to \\192.168.178.100 somewhere, but I'm wondering what could be causing this.

If anyone of you has an idea, any help is appreciated!

Edit: Running unraid 6.2.1, Client is a Win 10 machine.

Edit2: I created a second user accound on my windows machine. It connected to the server in the network explorer view right away. Switched back to my actual user accound, and it connected now too...Deleted the second user account, restarted the pc and its back to the error...this is so frustrating. It doesnt make any sense

Unbenannt.PNG.048220237c605913807715b1219c4ddc.PNG

First thing, I would suggest is to make your unRAID server the Master Browser.  You can do this by going to 'Settings' >>  'SMB' >>  'Workgroup Settings' and set "Local master browser:" to 'Yes'.  (NOTE:  This works best if you unRAID server is on 24/7.)

If you have already done this (or if you are doing for the first time), install the 'Dynamix Local Master' plugin.  This will allow you to quickly determine which of the many SMB enabled devices on your network has 'won' the election to become your Master Browser.  You can find the plugin here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.0

I assume that you have cleared all of the credentials by using the Credential Manager found in the Control Panel.

Next thing to check is that the workgroup name is identical on all of the computers.  Capitalization is significant as Linux uses it and Windows ignores it.  In the olden days, all Windows file names were CAPITAL letters and I would suggest using all CAPS if nothing seems to solve the problem.  I am not sure how SMB handles this issue. 

If you unRAID server is having problems with becoming the Master Browser, post back and I will give you instructions that will guarantee that it will always win the election!  (The problem is that MS has always biased the election process by making it more likely that later release of the Windows OS will win the election.  The second problem is that if a Master Browser is quickly found during the boot process, the booting computer may decide to make itself the Master  Browser and you can end up with two of them on the same network--- Not a good situation.  It seems by having the same computer always being the Master Browser solves this problem for most people.)

One more comment.  Win 10 seems to have caused some problems by itself.  The automatic (and frequent) updating of the OS means that the user is unaware of those updates.  Some of these updates seem to be security related and they may cause issues with SMB access.  Plus, Win 10 has (at least) three major versions and the security models are different for each one.  This makes troubleshooting on this end difficult.  Plus, the folks that maintain the SMB module are always playing catchup in dealing with these changes!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having this same issue whereby my win10 client would not connect to my unraid box.

After changing the Workgroup in the SMB settings page to something different to my actual PC workgroup, all my shares became connected again.

WOW!!! Please post up details of what your original configuration was that did not work.

Than post up what you changed it to that did work. 

• 2 weeks later...

well, I tried to recreate the issue I had to no avail.

my current setup that seems to be working now is my win10 pc is in the same workgroup as the smb settings in unraid.

Also and I think this was the reason, my unraid server is the current local master browser whereas before it wasnt, the win 10 pc was.

It does seem that having one computer always being the Master Browser seems to solve a lot of issues  (Plus, I suspect that MS has made some changes to SMB again in the Win 10 version with the LINUX SMB team playing catch-up.  With the auto update situation and the lack of information of what those updates contain, Win10 is black hole.  An additional confusion factor is that there three major versions of Win 10--- Home, College, and corporate.  And I suspect that the security protocols for each one is a bit different...)

• 4 years later...

Omg I am pulling my hair out with this , everything is set up yet I still cannot connect . So frustrating, I’m giving unraid a chance here with trial , hoping to get things set up and test this fingers crossed I can solve this . 

Edit confirmed unraid is the local master still broken . 

Edited by Mooseknuckles