<Support> Kru-x - Wekan and MongoDB-wekan templates

Kru-x

Giiday chaps,

I have created a docker template for the brilliant kanban style board "Wekan" https://wekan.io to get it to work in my unraid server and it is working mint on my setup.

This is to add Maxime Quandalle's image to unRAID. All credit for the images goes to Maxime and the wekanteam

9th of April 2019:

I have now updated my repo and are using the container from the wekanteam/wekan.

Until the Community Application has merge the changes you can install the container by:

Installation Go to the unRAID control panel -> extensions -> Docker In the textarea for Template repositories add https://github.com/Kru-x/unraid-docker-templates and press save.

Use the MongoDB container from Taddeusz' Repository, can as well be found in Community Applications.

Thanks

Edited by Kru-x
Updated my repo

OK, got it up and running.  Here's what I've noticed so far.

PUID & PGID are environmental variables that we've implemented in our containers, they aren't transferable to any container just by putting them in a template, looking at the dockerhub site for MongoDB I can't see that they have implemented this, so those could be removed from your template.

The folder mapping for /mnt/user:/unraid I'm not sure is necessary and one of the nice things about docker is the ability to restrict access to the host from the container, still not sure what the purpose of this mapping is for and I removed it.

Personally I'd remove the home ip address as a default in your container, and put some reference in the readme that this needs to be set to your server ip address.  A fairly common cause of confusion is the fact docker containers get an "internal" ip address so 127.0.0.1 defaults to that.  Probably just leave it blank as that forces people to engage brain rather than blindly clicking.

Also, I'd probably leave the default port mapping as 80:80 and allow the end user to select how they want to manage that. (But that's just an opinion) people can be quite particular about how they like things setup so it's best to let them sort that out for themselves.  Only got to get one user who's already using 5555 and they'll moan, but then again people will moan that they need to change it from 80 so who knows what's for the best.  ;)

I like that it's two separate containers rather than rolled in one, we tried that a while back and for a number of reasons decided against the approach.

Looks a great app and I'm sure that people will find it useful, so thanks for taking the time to create some templates and post here.  I know we're currently implementing an internal kanboard system at ls.io so I was interested to check this opensource version out.

I'm going to have a play around with the linking some more as that's something I've not used before.  :)

Great work and welcome to GitHub.

Edit:  I'd post links to the relevant docker hub pages as well in your thread so people can check them out.  ;)

Thank's CHBMB,

please bear with me, i am new to github and pulling my hair out to understand it. I saw you deleted the "<HostDir>/mnt/user/appdata/MongoDB/</HostDir>" but isn't this necessary for keeping the data? if the container is deleted or updated the data would be lost? That's why i used it.

The mongoDB is one of the most popular on docker hub and should be able to be used for other applications as well and that's why I would like to take away the linking and use its ip address instead but this is how they did the image for Wekan and i don't know if it can be done without making a new image for it. OR even better if it was added as a variable in unraid as there is quite a few images that uses linking (maybe there is a way that I have not found yet)

Wekan is the easiest and non frill Kanban board i found, needed a easy one for my wife to give me my "tasks" :-[ when I get home :o

Ill work on it and all your points are very valid, thanks!

Thank's CHBMB,

please bear with me, i am new to github and pulling my hair out to understand it. I saw you deleted the "<HostDir>/mnt/user/appdata/MongoDB/</HostDir>" but isn't this necessary for keeping the data? if the container is deleted or updated the data would be lost? That's why i used it.

Ignore that I was going to redo the template and put in a PR but stopped when I spotted PUID & PGID and then posted a reply instead.  Yep it does need that folder and you're spot on with how you've done it.

The mongoDB is one of the most popular on docker hub and should be able to be used for other applications as well and that's why I would like to take away the linking and use its ip address instead but this is how they did the image for Wekan and i don't know if it can be done without making a new image for it.

I can't see what difference it makes whether you link to it by name or ip personally.  When I've installed this here I've renamed it mongodb (I never use capitals in my Linux system, makes life easier for me)  so I linked to the mongodb like this.

--link "mongodb:db"

Haven't quite worked out if I could link a second container to the same MongoDB container, I'm not sure it is possible.  But I'm learning this stuff too...

Wekan is the easiest and non frill Kanban board i found, needed a easy one for my wife to give me my "tasks" :-[ when I get home :o

Ill work on it and all your points are very valid, thanks!

Let me get this straight..... YOU made it easier for your wife to give you jobs to do.... You mad?!  ;D

Quote from: JK on Today at 05:35:00 PM

The mongoDB is one of the most popular on docker hub and should be able to be used for other applications as well and that's why I would like to take away the linking and use its ip address instead but this is how they did the image for Wekan and i don't know if it can be done without making a new image for it.

I can't see what difference it makes whether you link to it by name or ip personally.  When I've installed this here I've renamed it mongodb (I never use capitals in my Linux system, makes life easier for me)  so I linked to the mongodb like this.

Code: [select]

--link "mongodb:db"

Haven't quite worked out if I could link a second container to the same MongoDB container, I'm not sure it is possible.  But I'm learning this stuff too...

The problem is that the image is made with a --link statement where the name of the database has the be the same name as the database and that creates the problem with unRAID templates if someone wants to name the mongo database just like you did, you have to know that the option is in the Extra Parameters, I didn't even know it was there until I started. It would be a nice feature of unRAID if you could choose the --link command just as you can with a variable. Would be easier for a nob like me! :P 

Let me get this straight..... YOU made it easier for your wife to give you jobs to do.... You mad?!  ;D

I know it's my self-destructive way, but I figured I can delete tasks she can't ::) I can just sit at the computer and assign here a task "bring me a beer, babe!" and she gets the email right away, then it is just to wait for the beer come flying over the room. 8)

• 4 months later...

Hey Kru-x,

Surprisingly, I don't have any issues at all.  I installed the mongo-db and Wekan and they are both just working.  Which means, THANK YOU! 

I do have a question though, is the mongo db usable for any other dockers or is it somehow locked in for just your wekan repo? 

Again, thanks a million :)

4 hours ago, noja said:

Hey Kru-x,

Surprisingly, I don't have any issues at all.  I installed the mongo-db and Wekan and they are both just working.  Which means, THANK YOU! 

I do have a question though, is the mongo db usable for any other dockers or is it somehow locked in for just your wekan repo? 

Again, thanks a million :)

Glad it worked,

The DB can be used for anything, it is the official release of MongoDB for docker and apparently it is one of the most popular docker containers out there. For what I do not know!

Kru-X 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, darock999 said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread but is this still the best way to get Wekan on my unraid box?

No worries and I am not entirely sure what you mean with "still the best way"?  Docker is the best way to keep any program separated from unraid (the server) itself and even if you probably could install it or make a plugin for it, why would you? So yes I believe it is still the best way, depending on what exactly you mean of course.

great! I was only curious as the container is running an older version of Wekan so I wasn't sure if it was still maintained/updated.  It does seem to work very well!

Have you looked into a method to make it run on https connections? if i attempt to use an https:// in the URL setting, I get an SSL not supported error message.

What version is pulled? When I did the template I used mquandalle's official image but now it seems like the project has been tanken over by someone else, but still the image should have been updated with the latest version. Have not used it for a while but is going to install it again and will update to right docker if needed in due time.

And for the http's connection it would work, just a matter how you do it, have you set up your server for it it wouldn't be any problem. But to be honest I wouldn't open-up my server just to have access to this program, but it depends on your requirements of-course.  I have only opened up my server for my web site and ftp, all other tasks I need to do in my server I use openvpn to connect to it when on the road.

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, boxland said:

Hi.

I am trying to install your docker, but i get this error "Error response from daemon: could not get container for mongodb-wekan: No such container: mongodb-wekan."

- Boxland

Have you also installed mongodb wekan and wekan?

Hi Boxland,

The easiest to do is to install the brilliant Unraids Community plugin (made by Squid, that answered you earlier), read: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/38582-plug-in-community-applications/

There you can install and search most of the apps for unraid and no need to add individual template libraries, let me know. 

29 minutes ago, boxland said:

I cannot find the mongodb-wekan container. I added https://github.com/Kru-x/unraid-docker-templates to my docker templates, but mongodb-wekan is not found.

Sorry Boxland,

It seem like it is gone from there as well, don't know what have happened, but you can use the mongodB that is there it won't matter what MongoDB container u use. I have to look in to what have happened.

44 minutes ago, boxland said:

I cannot find the mongodb-wekan container. I added https://github.com/Kru-x/unraid-docker-templates to my docker templates, but mongodb-wekan is not found.

Now I am really confused, it wont show up in the community application but if I add my repo it will, so it should work. In the docker tab under Docker Repositories: is this where you added my repo? If you did it should show up in templates when you add a new container.

Hi Kru-x.

That was my problem also. It does not show up in community applications. I ended up copying the xml from your repository and manually put it in the dockerMan template folder. Now I am able to install it.

Is it possible for you to take a screenshot of your mongodb-wekan docker setup?'

Edit: Never mind. I got it up and running. Thanks.

- Boxland

Edited by boxland

It's not much to show, the key is the --link "mongodb-wekan:db" in Extra Parameters in Advanced View this links the DB to the wekan container. The rest should be straight forward, the variables ex. ROOT_URL is for connecting from the outside world and I use port 5555, so in my setup I connect to it 192.168.1.100:5555, I also have it setup so I reach it from internet but that is a longer story not needing it to work from the internal network. The share path I use /mnt/user and the AppData Config Path: /mnt/user/appdata/mongodb-wekan/ where the DB is stored.

Hope it helps,

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Kru-x, 

This docker looks amazing and I have been trying to get this up and running but haven't had any luck. I know I am missing something easy but being a complete novice I'm not sure what I am missing so any help / guidance would be appreciated.

Currently when I start the wekan app I get the following error, 

Capture2.thumb.JPG.2bda07a4c8c8f1537b309ea6cd7d1a6b.JPG

These are my settings

Capture.thumb.JPG.39a7f045df4033a45b269be8cefa6e22.JPG

I am using the following link to add the Wekan and Mongo DB dockers. 

https://github.com/Kru-x/unraid-docker-templates

Hi and yes it is a great program I use it all the time, you have to link the DB container under Extra Parameters, have you done this? If not flick the switch "Advance View" and in the field add --link "mongodb:db" this will link (connect) the two containers together.

Let me know if it works for you,

R

Kru-x

Edited by Kru-x
Wrong info

Sorry for any inconvenience there was a change that I didn't take in to account, I have now updated my repo and are using the container from the wekanteam/wekan.

Until the Community Application has merge the changes you can install the container by:

Installation Go to the unRAID control panel -> extensions -> Docker In the textarea for Template repositories add https://github.com/Kru-x/unraid-docker-templates and press save.

Use the MongoDB container from Taddeusz' Repository, can as well be found in Community Applications.