SAS Controller seems to have loaded but there are NO drives

Thank you in advance for any advice or help. I have looked through forums and sites for 2 or 3 days now and I'm stuck at this point. It doesn't help that I'm new to Linux and this is my 1st unRAID set up.

The box is a SuperMicro SuperServer 6025B-3, Chassis SC825TQ-560LP 2U, Motherboard X7DB3 (with latest firmware), SAS controller Adaptec AIC-9410W, 8 bay Backplane, I had 5 1TB Seagate ST31000524NS drives (bought used, I tested 3 of 5 with Seatools 'passed') and 1 1TB Samsung HD103SJ (pulled from an old Win 7 machine, files and OS still intact). The Samsung is the only one currently in it.

UnRAID booted up without a problem and quite easily I might add (after some CPU / BIOS firmware compatibility issues, no fault of unRAID, I blame SuperMicro for failing to mention certain CPUs listed are not supported until after a certain firmware revision, oh and no thanks to their tech support either). After I got unRAID booted up and went to 'Main' and tried to set a drive, there were / are none. I have tried several, several different things. I used the Samsung drive to attempt to boot the Win 7 OS on it just to see if there was any IO going on with the drive. Windows failed to boot, which I expected but it was able to load the Windows Repair Utility from the drive. So I know the hardware works anyways.

I don't know if this means the SAS is loaded or just ID'd in unRAID but I pulled this from lspci

04:02.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: Adaptec AIC-9410W SAS (Razor ASIC non-RAID) [9005:041e] (rev 09)

Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc AIC-9410W SAS (Razor ASIC non-RAID) [15d9:6080]

Also from the console, I tried 'lspci -vv -d:041e' and got a whole list of info back about the SAS controller.

unraid-diagnostics-20161201-2232.zip

Have you tried with the drives connected to the Intel controller?

No, I haven't tried connecting them directly to the onboard SATA ports, just through the backplane. The chassis doesn't really support internal drives (you can have 2) or the extra power connectors. So it wouldn't be very practical, but I'll string up some cables, just to see what happens.

I didn't work myself through the manuals but you have to set the controller to "pass through" or

JBOD.

I've found little to no information on the SAS controller. The closest thing I saw to that is the SAS controller config utility (separate from the BIOS) has a setting 'RAID support' and I set it to disabled.

No, I haven't tried connecting them directly to the onboard SATA ports, just through the backplane. The chassis doesn't really support internal drives (you can have 2) or the extra power connectors. So it wouldn't be very practical, but I'll string up some cables, just to see what happens.

We had a discussion recently, where someone had a backplane with integrated expander. This also caused some troubles.

I've found little to no information on the SAS controller. The closest thing I saw to that is the SAS controller config utility (separate from the BIOS) has a setting 'RAID support' and I set it to disabled.

Either it's in non-RAID mode now or completely OFF.  ???

But since it is detected in unRAID it's most likely a driver issue, like johnnie already mentioned.