Author Topic: If a failure occurs ...  (Read 479 times)

Online Squid

• Community Developer
  • Don Juan Prawn
Re: If a failure occurs ...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »
Je comprends mieux. On peut comparer ce système à celui de PARchive (Linux) et QuickPAR (Windows), sauf que ces derniers travaillent au niveaux des fichiers et pas des disques eux-mêmes.

Ça devient plus clair.

Une question me vient de ce fait :

Si ma grappe évolue en taille, je peux sortir un disque de parité et le remplacer par un de plus grande taille ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I understand better. One can compare this system to that of PARchive (Linux) and QuickPAR (Windows), except that they work at the file level and not the disks themselves.

It becomes clearer.

One question comes to me from this fact:

If my cluster grows in size, can I get a parity disk and replace it with a larger one?
I just want to clarify something before you get the wrong idea.  PAR is used to recover corruption within a file.  unRaid's (or any raid system for that matter) does not recover corruption on a disk.  Rather they are used to recover (rebuild) a drive that has failed in operation.

The filesystem tools itself (XFS / btrfs) are used to recover from any file system corruption.  (Most likely cause is a loss of power during a write to the array - get a UPS to solve this problem)

Offline jonathanm

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »
I don't want to discourage you from a good product, but from the conversation so far, I have doubts about your success with unraid. You may wish to email limetech directly sales@lime-technology.com and ask about support options in your language. The forum is english only as you found out, and lack of english fluency will limit your ability to get good help here on the forums without getting frustrated.

You will have to be patient with us on the forums as we try to help you, and likewise you will likely have to wait longer for a response as it can be frustrating communicating with someone who has trouble understanding what we are trying to tell you.

Please understand I want you to have a good experience with unraid, but language may be an issue.

Online trurl

• Global Moderator
  • Constructor
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »
If my cluster grows in size, can I get a parity disk and replace it with a larger one?
Yes you can replace parity with a larger one. And you can replace a data disk with a larger one also. So one way you can increase capacity is to add disks, and another way to increase capacity is to replace existing disks with larger disks.

unRAID will rebuild the contents of the original smaller disk onto the new larger replacement disk. The only restriction is that parity must be at least as large as the largest single disk, so there will be parity bits to cover the size of the largest disk.

And you can do this one disk at a time because it doesn't matter if the data disks aren't the same size since each data disk is independent.
How to Search the Forum (no, it's not obvious)     Need help? Read me first!     Upgrading to UnRAID v6

unSERVER 24TB unRAID 6.3.2 Pro PC-Q25:H87-I:i5-4570S:16GB:SX500-LG:RC-218:AVRG900U
Dockers LogitechMS:NZBGet:PlexMS:RDP-BOINC:Transmission

unBACKUP 15TB unRAID 6.3.2 Pro Node 304:P8H61-I:i3-3220:8GB:ST45SF-G:1430SA

Offline NY152

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 12:27:58 PM »
I don't want to discourage you from a good product, but from the conversation so far, I have doubts about your success with unraid. You may wish to email limetech directly sales@lime-technology.com and ask about support options in your language. The forum is english only as you found out, and lack of english fluency will limit your ability to get good help here on the forums without getting frustrated.

You will have to be patient with us on the forums as we try to help you, and likewise you will likely have to wait longer for a response as it can be frustrating communicating with someone who has trouble understanding what we are trying to tell you.

Please understand I want you to have a good experience with unraid, but language may be an issue.

Aucun soucis, j'arrive à comprendre (et j'espère me faire comprendre aussi lol).

Tout va bien.

La phylosophie de fonctionnement m'echappais un peu mais je commence à en comprendre le fonctionnement. Bon, je n'en ferais pas un serveur principal de sauvegarde, j'aurais un autre NAS (d'une autre marque) en RAID6 comme mirroir réseau avec RSync.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No worries, I manage to understand (and I hope to make me understand also lol).

Everything is fine.

The operating phylosophy escaped me a little but I begin to understand how it works. Well, I would not make it a primary backup server, I would have another NAS (from another brand) in RAID6 as a network mirror with RSync.

Je comprends mieux. On peut comparer ce système à celui de PARchive (Linux) et QuickPAR (Windows), sauf que ces derniers travaillent au niveaux des fichiers et pas des disques eux-mêmes.

Ça devient plus clair.

Une question me vient de ce fait :

Si ma grappe évolue en taille, je peux sortir un disque de parité et le remplacer par un de plus grande taille ?

I understand better. One can compare this system to that of PARchive (Linux) and QuickPAR (Windows), except that they work at the file level and not the disks themselves.

It becomes clearer.

One question comes to me from this fact:

I just want to clarify something before you get the wrong idea.  PAR is used to recover corruption within a file.  unRaid's (or any raid system for that matter) does not recover corruption on a disk.  Rather they are used to recover (rebuild) a drive that has failed in operation.

The filesystem tools itself (XFS / btrfs) are used to recover from any file system corruption.  (Most likely cause is a loss of power during a write to the array - get a UPS to solve this problem)

Oui je comprends bien la distinction.

Le format PAR(2) permet aussi de reconstruire des données absentes, pas forcement corrompues. Et dans le cas d'unRAID on est en présence de données absentes (puisque absence d'un disque dur) qu'il faut reconsctruire. Le principe est pas forcement différent.

Si l'utilisation de la partité est différente, la finalité est un peu identique: La récupération de données (qu'elles soient absentes ou corrompues) est le but premier ^^

Yes, I understand the distinction.

The format PAR (2) also makes it possible to reconstruct data that is absent, not necessarily corrupted. And in the case of unRAID one is present of data absent (since absence of a hard disk) that must be reconstructed. The principle is not necessarily different.

If the use of the partite is different, the purpose is somewhat identical: The recovery of data (whether absent or corrupt) is the primary goal ^^

Yes you can replace parity with a larger one. And you can replace a data disk with a larger one also. So one way you can increase capacity is to add disks, and another way to increase capacity is to replace existing disks with larger disks.

unRAID will rebuild the contents of the original smaller disk onto the new larger replacement disk. The only restriction is that parity must be at least as large as the largest single disk, so there will be parity bits to cover the size of the largest disk.

And you can do this one disk at a time because it doesn't matter if the data disks aren't the same size since each data disk is independent.

Merci pour le complément d'information

Thank you for more information
unRAID 6 with :
Motherbord       : ASRock X99M Extreme4
Processeur        : i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (6 cores/12Threads)
RAM                 : 64 Go DDR4
GPUs for VMs    : 2 x NVidia GTX 750 Ti
Cache SSD        : 275 Go
Storage & Parity : 6x4 To, 2x2 To, 2x1.5 To

Offline Gog

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Je suis francophone et utilisateur unraid de longue date. N'hésite pas a me contacter si la traduction cause probleme

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

unRAID: 6.2
Case: rackmount 16 bays, CPU: Intel  E3-1241 3.5GHz, RAM: 16GB Crutial DDR3-1600, Mobo: Supermicro X10SL7-F-O
Cache: 480GB SSD, Parity: 6TB WD Red, Data: 9 drives, 19TB total

Offline NY152

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »
Merci, je n’hésiterais pas si j'ai des questions :)
unRAID 6 with :
Motherbord       : ASRock X99M Extreme4
Processeur        : i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (6 cores/12Threads)
RAM                 : 64 Go DDR4
GPUs for VMs    : 2 x NVidia GTX 750 Ti
Cache SSD        : 275 Go
Storage & Parity : 6x4 To, 2x2 To, 2x1.5 To