Question on feedback on parity sync and data rebuild

I am currently running the fix for a dual drive failure, I have a parity sync and a data rebuild running at the same time.

The parity is doing a parity sync for 8TB, the data rebuild is for a 6TB drive.

The array reports -one- completion percentage for both actions. I would expect however that there would be two... If both rebuilds go exactly as fast the data rebuild should be finished at 75% of the parity rebuild.. Right ?

Or am I missing something..?

That is what I thought... Might be nice if those progresses were individually visible... I can calculate it back ofcourse, I expect the data rebuild to be finished on 75% of the parity sync (since 6 is 75% of 8)

Appears to be not true though... I am at 76% and the data drive still shows the yellow mark and is still spun up..

The rebuild is done but I expect the status will only change when both are done.

You are right... I gave the disk a spin down command and it stays spun down..

This could also an enhancement request for a future version: change the status of rebuilds based on the individual disk , not on the longest during action..

More importantly, what would happen if there was an error and the parity sync didn't complete? Would that disk need rebuild again? I'm guessing yes.

I missed that... Could be...

Depends on the moment unraid writes the disk back in the array... If it only does that on the end it would force a complete rebuild while it would be -not- necessary.. With that added I think this qualifies as somewhat of a bug...

Yep, just tested it and it's like I though, I canceled the rebuild after the first smaller disk was done and still shows emulated, don't know if it can be considered a bug or a limitation.

Doesnt really matter... in an ideal world it would be different... I can imagine its not to difficult to resolve..

In a case where two array devices are targets in data rebuild/parity sync, the progress is reported based on the size of the largest target device.  The 'status' of both target devices (from invalid to valid) is not updated until the entire operation succeeds.  Hence there is a small window, from when the data rebuild/parity sync passes the smaller device, to when the operation finally completes, where if the operation gets terminated, both devices will remain 'invalid'.  To improve this wouldn't be all that involved, but honestly there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.

In a case where two array devices are targets in data rebuild/parity sync, the progress is reported based on the size of the largest target device.  The 'status' of both target devices (from invalid to valid) is not updated until the entire operation succeeds.  Hence there is a small window, from when the data rebuild/parity sync passes the smaller device, to when the operation finally completes, where if the operation gets terminated, both devices will remain 'invalid'.  To improve this wouldn't be all that involved, but honestly there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Fully understand, just something that could be on a list somewhere..

Ofcourse the real interesting question is what are those big fish and what are you frying :-)