unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Joe,

I have another user script button to contribute quick.  If you want to put it in the "release_list" file feel free.  Also, one that can accompany this one is the one attached to my post on page 9.

Both buttons are now on the release_list.

Joe L.

I've got a problem I can't seem to find the answer to.  I have had unMENU running great for some time, but noticed there were a lot of new scripts added to the community so I got the latest version of the installer 1.3.2 and did the unmenu_install -u and it downloaded the lastest of everything.  I stopped AWK and restarted uu.  Problem is that I don't see any of the new buttons that I assume should appear in the User Scripts list (e.g. crashplan scripts, S3 sleep, etc.).  

Am I missing some key step?  In case it was a bad config issue I renames /boot/unmenu to /boot/unmenu.old and re-installed from scratch with the same problem...

Thanks for any help/guidance.  And thanks for unMenu is it truly amazing!

UPDATE: I noticed the note about conditional buttons, and I did use the swapfile package and saw buttons were added... is that why the other buttons are missing for me (e.g. crashplan).

I've got a problem I can't seem to find the answer to.  

<snip>

UPDATE: I noticed the note about conditional buttons, and I did use the swapfile package and saw buttons were added... is that why the other buttons are missing for me (e.g. crashplan).

Yes, if you do not have "crashplan" downloaded, or, more accurately, if the /boot/packages/crashplan.tar file not exist, those two buttons will not be visible.

I updated unmenu today after seeing the thread...and the MyMain page appears to be working again for me. No idea why, but its working now ;D.

Good.

Did you fix something or is this one of those unexplained phenoma?

I did upload a new myMain_local.conf, but it should not have changed yours.  I'd say you re-starting unMENU probably did it.

I setup a user script to killall python (for SABnzbd+ and Sickbeard use it) to help with clean shutdowns or if I want to restart them.  And this is where I have a problem.  The button/script for killing python works, but the button/script for starting them back up doesn't seem to work.  It shows up but pressing it seems to have no effect....  The execution lines work fine from a terminal prompt and my go script.  Am I doing something wrong?  Does the path to python need to be specified explicitly?  Here is the script contents...

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 1 $ $Date: 2010-04-13 15:12:15 -0600 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) $
#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL Start SABnzbd+ and Sickbeard
#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR This will start SABnzbd+ and Sickbeard
echo "<pre>"
python /boot/installs/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 192.168.111.3:88 -f /boot/config/sabnzbd.ini
cd /mnt/cache/.installs/sickbeard/
nohup python SickBeard.py &

I setup a user script to killall python (for SABnzbd+ and Sickbeard use it) to help with clean shutdowns or if I want to restart them.  And this is where I have a problem.  The button/script for killing python works, but the button/script for starting them back up doesn't seem to work.  It shows up but pressing it seems to have no effect....  The execution lines work fine from a terminal prompt and my go script.  Am I doing something wrong?  Does the path to python need to be specified explicitly?  Here is the script contents...

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 1 $ $Date: 2010-04-13 15:12:15 -0600 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) $
#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL Start SABnzbd+ and Sickbeard
#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR This will start SABnzbd+ and Sickbeard
echo "<pre>"
python /boot/installs/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 192.168.111.3:88 -f /boot/config/sabnzbd.ini

Yes, you either need to put the full path to the "python" command, or add a line to set the $PATH variable so it will be found.

You can determine the full path to python by typing

which python

after you log in and install python

So, either add one line like this at the top of the script

PATH=$PATH:/path/to/pythonDirectory/

or change the other two lines to have the full path

/full/path/to/python /boot/installs/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 192.168.111.3:88 -f /boot/config/sabnzbd.ini

and

nohup /full/path/to/python SickBeard.py &

Joe L.

Yes, you either need to put the full path to the "python" command, or add a line to set the $PATH variable so it will be found.

which python

/full/path/to/python /boot/installs/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 192.168.111.3:88 -f /boot/config/sabnzbd.ini

and

Joe L.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Between my post and yours I did try the full path as you describe above with the same results (no execution of the two python apps).  The which python command confirmed /usr/bin/ as the directory in which python is located.  I then tried the path line PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/ but again no go.  Weird... Is there any logging that can be turned on to see what it actually doing vs. what I want it to do?

Thanks again for your time!

which python

and

Joe L.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Between my post and yours I did try the full path as you describe above with the same results (no execution of the two python apps).  The which python command confirmed /usr/bin/ as the directory in which python is located.  I then tried the path line PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/ but again no go.  Weird... Is there any logging that can be turned on to see what it actually doing vs. what I want it to do?

Thanks again for your time!

You would not need to add /usr/bin, as it is already in the path.  The command output and error output is already being sent to the browser.

To see the path, and see what is happening, add a few lines at the top.

set -xv

echo $PATH

which python

When you invoke python you can add the "-vv" option to it.  (very verbose)

You would not need to add /usr/bin, as it is already in the path.  The command output and error output is already being sent to the browser.

set -xv

echo $PATH

which python

Figured it out.  I noticed that nothing was showing up in the browser for output when I pressed the button, I looked at the HTML source for the User Scripts page and realized that the "+" I had in button label may have been causing a problem, I removed it and it runs.  I did have unmenu crash the first time (don't know why) but it works now!  Thanks for your help.

set -xv

echo $PATH

which python

Figured it out.  I noticed that nothing was showing up in the browser for output when I pressed the button, I looked at the HTML source for the User Scripts page and realized that the "+" I had in button label may have been causing a problem, I removed it and it runs.  I did have unmenu crash the first time (don't know why) but it works now!  Thanks for your help.

I did not notice that.  Yes, there are a few characters that will get it confused.  I  tried to capture the common ones, but the plugin page for users-scripts is itself just a shell script, and the web-server just an awk script...

Sorry for any inconvenience,  happy to see you are creating buttons to make your life easier.

Joe L.

I did not notice that.  Yes, there are a few characters that will get it confused.  I  tried to capture the common ones, but the plugin page for users-scripts is itself just a shell script, and the web-server just an awk script...

Sorry for any inconvenience,  happy to see you are creating buttons to make your life easier.

No inconvenience, all part of the learning process...  I thought I was all good, but not I can confirm that the script somehow kills unmenu when run.  After I press the button, the processes startup as expected, but the browser shows "waiting for Tower" in the status bar and never comes back.  When I try to load up http://tower:8080/ I see unmenu is unresponsive till I manually start it again.  Here's the latest script code...

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 5 $ $Date: 2010-04-13 15:12:15 -0600 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) $
#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL Start SABnzbd and Sickbeard
#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR This will start SABnzbd and Sickbeard
echo "<pre>"
echo "Executing SABnzbd on Port 88"
echo "Executing Sick Beard on Port 86"

G

No inconvenience, all part of the learning process...  I thought I was all good, but not I can confirm that the script somehow kills unmenu when run.  After I press the button, the processes startup as expected, but the browser shows "waiting for Tower" in the status bar and never comes back.  When I try to load up http://tower:8080/ I see unmenu is unresponsive till I manually start it again.  Here's the latest script code...

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 5 $ $Date: 2010-04-13 15:12:15 -0600 (Tue, 13 Apr 2010) $
echo "<pre>"

G

has unmenu died, or is it still running waiting for your user-script to finish running?

echo "<pre>"

has unmenu died, or is it still running waiting for your user-script to finish running?

Not sure, but I know that it never comes back to the browser after 10 minutes of waiting, when I try to go back to unmenu it gives me an error like it's not running or non-responsive.  A ps -all does show that AWK is running.

I put an echo command after every line and started with just an echo command and added till I got the problem of unmenu never coming back to me.  It's the last "nohup python SickBeard.py &" command that causes the behavior.  The rest comes back instantly.

I searched to learn more about nohup and found a wikipedia article that led me to try this:

nohup python  SickBeard.py > foo.out 2> foo.err < /dev/null &

And it works perfectly now!

G

Glad you figured it out. 

unMENU had not crashed.  It was just waiting for your button script to end.

The process you put in the background still had open file descriptors to the button-script, therefore unMENU was waiting for it to finish.

Joe L.

Hi Joe,

I have been using unmenu successfully, thanks again. I did not have time to test the mail package earlier so I wanted to give it a try. I cannot manage to install it. I have installed C compiler and development tools, and then the mail and ssmtp. However, everytime when I try to install the mail, I get: "Installed but version is different" notice, and the button beside still reads "install sstmp_2.61.orig.tar.gz" - what am I doing wrong?

- when I test the mail by typing: echo "this is a a test" | mail -s "testing mail" root, I get: /usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory

Also I get this after trying to install:

#####

Verifying package openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz.

Installing package openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

# openssl (Secure Sockets Layer toolkit)

#

# The OpenSSL certificate management tool and the shared libraries that

# provide various encryption and decryption algorithms and protocols.

#

# This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project for

# use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.openssl.org).  This product

# includes cryptographic software written by Eric Young

# ([email protected]).  This product includes software written by Tim

# Hudson ([email protected]).

#

Executing install script for openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz.

Package openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz installed.

loading cache ./config.cache

checking for gcc... gcc

checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

sed: can't read Makefile: No such file or directory

/boot/packages/ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz.manual_install: line 22: make: command not found

cp: cannot stat `ssmtp-2.61/ssmtp': No such file or directory

ln: accessing `/usr/sbin/ssmtp': No such file or directory

ln: accessing `/usr/bin/sendmail': No such file or directory

Verifying package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz.

Installing package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

# mailx (a simple mail client)

#

# Mailx is derived from Berkeley Mail and is intended provide the

# functionality of the POSIX mailx command with additional support

# for MIME, IMAP, POP3, SMTP, and S/MIME. It provides enhanced

# features for interactive use, such as caching and disconnected

# operation for IMAP, message threading, scoring, and filtering.

# It is also usable as a mail batch language, both for sending

# and receiving mail.

#

# The maintainer and primary developer of mailx is Gunnar Ritter.

Executing install script for mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz.

Package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz installed.

#####

Please find attached my screencapture showing the wrong version in orange text.

mail.jpg.710ae4e1c7061313c782c0da1b61c4c6.jpg

Hi Joe,

I have been using unmenu successfully, thanks again. I did not have time to test the mail package earlier so I wanted to give it a try. I cannot manage to install it. I have installed C compiler and development tools, and then the mail and ssmtp. However, everytime when I try to install the mail, I get: "Installed but version is different" notice, and the button beside still reads "install sstmp_2.61.orig.tar.gz" - what am I doing wrong?

- when I test the mail by typing: echo "this is a a test" | mail -s "testing mail" root, I get: /usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory

Also I get this after trying to install:

#####

Verifying package openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz.

Installing package openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

# openssl (Secure Sockets Layer toolkit)

#

# The OpenSSL certificate management tool and the shared libraries that

# provide various encryption and decryption algorithms and protocols.

#

# This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project for

# use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.openssl.org).  This product

# includes cryptographic software written by Eric Young

# ([email protected]).  This product includes software written by Tim

# Hudson ([email protected]).

#

Executing install script for openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz.

Package openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz installed.

loading cache ./config.cache

checking for gcc... gcc

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

/boot/packages/ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz.manual_install: line 22: make: command not found

cp: cannot stat `ssmtp-2.61/ssmtp': No such file or directory

ln: accessing `/usr/sbin/ssmtp': No such file or directory

Verifying package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz.

Installing package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

# mailx (a simple mail client)

#

# Mailx is derived from Berkeley Mail and is intended provide the

# functionality of the POSIX mailx command with additional support

# for MIME, IMAP, POP3, SMTP, and S/MIME. It provides enhanced

# features for interactive use, such as caching and disconnected

# operation for IMAP, message threading, scoring, and filtering.

# It is also usable as a mail batch language, both for sending

# and receiving mail.

#

# The maintainer and primary developer of mailx is Gunnar Ritter.

Executing install script for mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz.

Package mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz installed.

#####

Please find attached my screencapture showing the wrong version in orange text.

The error says it pretty plainly.  You do not have the "C" compiler and tools installed.

checking for gcc... gcc

Yes I understand, but does not it install via unMENU package manager like it says "currently installed, will be automatically re-installed" in the attached file. Or should I search for it and install manually? I would be happy if you could kindly give me some hints. Thanks.

gcc.jpg.0f5b847d942e76b2d9a87ee0258dfdf6.jpg

Yes I understand, but does not it install via unMENU package manager like it says "currently installed, will be automatically re-installed" in the attached file. Or should I search for it and install manually? I would be happy if you could kindly give me some hints. Thanks.

First, make sure your version of unmenu is up to date.  Lots of tiny fixes in the past week.

You can use the button on the user-scripts page.  If it does not exist, then for sure you are not up to date.

Then, you can type at the command prompt.

rm /usr/bin/cc

and then re-install the "C" compiler. then install the mail program.

Thank you, solved. I had to reinstall the most recent version of unMENU as well as the C compiler. Now all are installed. iStat, which is new, is cool :)

Ps: However, now under the "File browser" all I see are "black bullets within squares" - no directories. Earlier, I was able to see the full path to the files. Is it me, again, or newer unMENU?

Thank you, solved. I had to reinstall the most recent version of unMENU as well as the C compiler. Now all are installed. iStat, which is new, is cool :)

Ps: However, now under the "File browser" all I see are "black bullets within squares" - no directories. Earlier, I was able to see the full path to the files. Is it me, again, or newer unMENU?

I don't honestly know.

The file browser disks are defined in unmenu.conf or in unmenu_local.conf

There are a few examples, commented out with the leading "#"

# if allowed_folders are defined here, only those will be allowed to be accessed in the file_browser.

#ALLOWED_FOLDER = /mnt/user/

#ALLOWED_FOLDER = /mnt/disk11/

#ALLOWED_FOLDER = /mnt/user/Movies/

Have you made any changes to unmenu.conf or unmenu_local.conf?  Or, have you changed any directory or file permissions?

Joe L.