unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

Many thanks,

Still a bit stuck though. I've created the unmenu directory on the flash drive and copied the unzipped file to it (file name is unmenu_install135). Managed to log on to the server and changed to the boot/unmenu directory. When I type the command "unmenu_install -i -d /boot/unmenu" I get an error message "-bash: unmenu_install -i -d: command not found".

BTW I'm a 57 year old carpenter with a bit of computer knowledge - not an IT expert by any means.

When you un-zipped the file it should have been named "unmenu_install"

Assuming you just gave it a different name, you can just either re-name it to unmenu_install by typing

cd /boot/unmenu

mv unmenu_install135 unmenu_install

or

invoke it as

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install135 -i -d /boot/unmenu

Either will work.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brilliant.

You sir are a star. Thanks very much. (Can't for the life of me think how I managed to rename the file).

I'll no doubt be back when I've chance to play around with it, but it's late now and time for some shut eye.

Once again, many thanks.

Trying to download/install the mail and ssmtp and I get this message from the package manager.

(MD5 of existing downloaded file NOT matched - download may be corrupted or download URL no longer valid.)

Not Found

The requested URL /debian/pool/main/s/ssmtp/ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz was not found on this server.

I found ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz on that same server, but honestly I don't know what works best or how to change the package installer to say "lets install that one instead."

Weird thing is when I look in the /boot/packages I see ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz sitting there. I guess I'm a bit confused.

Of course as a test I had test to see if it was actually installed. I looked through a few of these pages and found this.

echo -e "Subject: a test\n\nThis is the email body." | ssmtp -d root

which of course gave me this message.

-bash: ssmtp: command not found

Weird thing is when I look in the /boot/packages I see ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz sitting there. I guess I'm a bit confused.

If you exampled the file a tiny bit closer you would find it had in it the "html" for exactly the same message as was shown in the package-manager... basically:

Not Found

The requested URL /debian/pool/main/s/ssmtp/ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz was not found on this server.

And, if you clicked on the link for ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz in the package manager in your browser, you would have gotten the exact same message because the source server no longer has version 2.61 source code available for download. 

I see they do have version 2.62 now available (but, of course, a different URL is needed for it).

Of course as a test I had test to see if it was actually installed. I looked through a few of these pages and found this.

echo -e "Subject: a test\n\nThis is the email body." | ssmtp -d root

which of course gave me this message.

-bash: ssmtp: command not found

Yes, since you did not download the source code, you did not compile it, and not install it.

Since there is a newer version available I decided to point to it instead.  The only way to do that is to modify the .conf file used by the package manager.  I just finished doing exactly that and uploading it and a new release list to google.code.  I actually had to make a few other changes to accommodate how they now have the source directory named in the "tar" file and deal with those users who have the older version installed and working.

If you use the "Check for Updates" button on the User-Scripts page in unMENU, you'll see there are two new files available.  One is the new package file for ssmtp, the other eliminates an error message written to the syslog when you do not have a specific directory on your server.

Press the button to download and install them, and then re-try the installation of ssmtp.  It should now work again (or rather, it should work until they move/replace the source code with a still newer version at some unknown time in the future.) 

Joe L.

Thanks,

This is the newest one after I downloded the updates and ran the installer.

ssmtp_2.62.orig.tar.gz installation:

The C compiler has not been installed.  ssmtp compile not possible

ssmtp_2.62.orig.tar.gz apparently did not install properly, /usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf does not exist.

I'm running a "Rebuilding Parity" right now and my machine is acting a little wonky so I'll give it another try in the morning.

However thank you for jumping on that so quick I am really grateful.

Thanks,

The C compiler has not been installed.  ssmtp compile not possible

ssmtp_2.62.orig.tar.gz apparently did not install properly, /usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf does not exist.

I'm running a "Rebuilding Parity" right now and my machine is acting a little wonky so I'll give it another try in the morning.

The '"C" compiler and development tools' is a package in the package manager.  Download and install it using the buttons in the package manager.  

You'll probably also need to download and install the "Infozip" package (it is at the end of the list of available packages)

Otherwise, if you attempt to install the ssmtp package it will let you know if the gunzip program has not yet been installed.

Then you can re-select the ssmtp mail package and install it.  It should then compile.  You may want to install the swap-file package if you only have 512 Meg of RAM, as you might not be able to compile otherwise without running out of RAM and causing the kernel to start killing off processes in an attempt to free some for itself.

Don't forget to edit the fields on the ssmtp package for your e-mail provider.

unRAID Test server failed to power down when the mains power to the UPS was turned off.

UPS = APC Smart UPS 700 (serial connection only)

unmenu 1.3

apcupsd-3.14.3-i486

unRAID Test server

unRAID Server Basic version: 4.5.4

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+

2Gb Ram

ASUS A8N SLI Premium Motherboard

1 x SATA HDD 1Tb (Data drive)

unmenu_ups_settings.PNG.b6a708a8ece554a010b7048aa483a101.PNG

UPS_Status.PNG.2a50dac390b3abf5665d288b93881fa5.PNG

unRAID Test server failed to power down when the mains power to the UPS was turned off.

UPS = APC Smart UPS 700 (serial connection only)

unmenu 1.3

apcupsd-3.14.3-i486

unRAID Test server

unRAID Server Basic version: 4.5.4

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+

2Gb Ram

ASUS A8N SLI Premium Motherboard

1 x SATA HDD 1Tb (Data drive)

Have you installed the powerdown package?  If there was anything running on the server that was keeping it busy it would have failed to shut down.  Install the powerdown package and try your test again.

Have you installed the powerdown package?  If there was anything running on the server that was keeping it busy it would have failed to shut down.  Install the powerdown package and try your test again.

Thank you for your prompt reply, would the powerdown package be "Clean Powerdown"? if so does it need to be configured in anyway?

Would constantly refreshing the UPS Status via unmenu stop the server from shutting down?

Kind Regards

Thank you for your prompt reply, would the powerdown package be "Clean Powerdown"? if so does it need to be configured in anyway?

Kind Regards

Yup, the "Clean Powerdown" package is the one that you want. and it does not need to be configured from what I remember (have not set it up lately myself, but it should be straight forward).

Thank you for your prompt reply, would the powerdown package be "Clean Powerdown"?

Yes
if so does it need to be configured in anyway?
No

Would constantly refreshing the UPS Status via unmenu stop the server from shutting down?

No

Kind Regards

You are welcome.

Thanks,

The '"C" compiler and development tools' is a package in the package manager.  Download and install it using the buttons in the package manager.  

You'll probably also need to download and install the "Infozip" package (it is at the end of the list of available packages)

Otherwise, if you attempt to install the ssmtp package it will let you know if the gunzip program has not yet been installed.

Then you can re-select the ssmtp mail package and install it.  It should then compile.  You may want to install the swap-file package if you only have 512 Meg of RAM, as you might not be able to compile otherwise without running out of RAM and causing the kernel to start killing off processes in an attempt to free some for itself.

Does this need to be set to reinstall every reboot? The reason I ask is well I did and I was tinkering around with my case since I wasn't happy with the wire layout and I'm trying to figure out why one of my drives is acting up. Anyways I had everything set to reinstall and it almost appeared after reboot I coudn't get an ip address then I couldn't even view the contents of /boot from command line. It was like my machine went a little bonkers. I more or less erased my USB stick and started over. I don't have tons of time invested, but you know... just trying to figure out things and my data is protected either way.

Thanks,

Does this need to be set to reinstall every reboot? The reason I ask is well I did and I was tinkering around with my case since I wasn't happy with the wire layout and I'm trying to figure out why one of my drives is acting up. Anyways I had everything set to reinstall and it almost appeared after reboot I coudn't get an ip address then I couldn't even view the contents of /boot from command line. It was like my machine went a little bonkers. I more or less erased my USB stick and started over. I don't have tons of time invested, but you know... just trying to figure out things and my data is protected either way.

no, the compiler does not need to be re-installed every time you reboot. It was just needed to compile the ssmtp program with SSL libraries for secure communications to the e-mail server.

You do need to press the button to re-install the ssmtp and mail programs on re-boot.

Now that I upgraded to 4.5.4, I finally decided to install unmenu.  The package manager is great, but I am getting some weird results on reboot...  I have downloaded several packages to my machine using the package manager, installed them and set them to automatically reinstall.  However, when I reboot, they don't actually get reinstalled.  So, I must be doing something wrong with the setup of unmenu...  What is the mechanism that triggers the packages to get installed?

I see that the packages are getting created in the /boot/packages directory and the '.auto_install' files appear to be getting created correctly.  However, they just don't seem to be getting installed.  Do I need to be using the latest unraid (4.5.6)?  Or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Now that I upgraded to 4.5.4, I finally decided to install unmenu.  The package manager is great, but I am getting some weird results on reboot...  I have downloaded several packages to my machine using the package manager, installed them and set them to automatically reinstall.  However, when I reboot, they don't actually get reinstalled.  So, I must be doing something wrong with the setup of unmenu...  What is the mechanism that triggers the packages to get installed?

I see that the packages are getting created in the /boot/packages directory and the '.auto_install' files appear to be getting created correctly.  However, they just don't seem to be getting installed.  Do I need to be using the latest unraid (4.5.6)?  Or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Odds are good that you had previously added a line to the bottom of your "go" script.  Theh exact same scheme has been used on every version of unMENU since the beginning.  It will work with any version of unRAID.

Take a look there in the config/go script, the line unMENU adds should be at the very bottom of the "config/go" script, and on its own line, and look exactly like this:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

You can even use the "Config View/Edit" function built into unMENU to look at it and fix it.

Of course, if you've added something ahead of it in the "go" script that causes it to never get to that line, then

"cd /boot/packages; find . -name ... etc" then it will never execute either.

Joe L.

Take a look there, the line unMENU adds should be at the very bottom of the "config/go" script, and on its own line, and look exactly like this:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

The instructions end with adding a  /boot/unmenu/uu  to your go script.  No mention of also adding the above line.

It is thus reasonable to expect that unMENU will take care of the autoinstall packages, as its package-manager promises.

Initialy I was puzzled about the reboots too.  Took me a little time to figure it out.

Take a look there, the line unMENU adds should be at the very bottom of the "config/go" script, and on its own line, and look exactly like this:

The instructions end with adding a  /boot/unmenu/uu  to your go script.  No mention of also adding the above line.

It is thus reasonable to expect that unMENU will take care of the autoinstall packages, as its package-manager promises.

Initialy I was puzzled about the reboots too.  Took me a little time to figure it out.

The first time you ask that a package be auto-installed upon reboot, the line is added for you to the go script by the package manager.   (with one tiny exception, and that is if you added a "custom/etc/rc.d" folder.  if you did on your own it is assumed you are already processing the files in it, so an additional file is added to the custom/etc/rc.d folder to perform the auto-install.)

In neither case do you need to do anything special, although, as I said, depending on what you've already done to the "go" script, it might not get to the last line to invoke it.

Joe L.

The instructions end with adding a  /boot/unmenu/uu  to your go script.  No mention of also adding the above line.

Initialy I was puzzled about the reboots too.  Took me a little time to figure it out.

The first time you ask that a package be auto-installed upon reboot, the line is added for you to the go script by the package manager.   (with one tiny exception, and that is if you added a "custom/etc/rc.d" folder.  if you did on your own it is assumed you are already processing the files in it, so an additional file is added to the custom/etc/rc.d folder to perform the auto-install.)

In neither case do you need to do anything special, although, as I said, depending on what you've already done to the "go" script, it might not get to the last line to invoke it.

Joe L.

It was a fresh install of unMENU following the instructions to the letter.  Nothing was added to my go script.

No big deal really.  Could maybe add one more line to the instructions.  Or, make unMENU do the autoinstalls instead of the go script.

Joe L.

It was a fresh install of unMENU following the instructions to the letter.  Nothing was added to my go script.

No big deal really.  Could maybe add one more line to the instructions.  Or, make unMENU do the autoinstalls instead of the go script.

That is odd.  I'll investigate.  Did you push the "re-install on re-boot" button on one of the packages?  I did a fresh install recently and had no such problem.

As far as changing how things are done, I'll wait until I see what 5.0 brings first.  So far, you are the only one reporting such an issue.

Joe L.

Joe L.

That is odd.  I'll investigate.  Did you push the "re-install on re-boot" button on one of the packages?   I did a fresh install recently and had no such problem.

As far as changing how things are done, I'll wait until I see what 5.0 brings first.  So far, you are the only one reporting such an issue.

Turns out, not the only one.  oconnellc reported it 6 posts above.

I wasn't even going to bother you reporting it until I saw oconnellc's post.

Yes, I did push "re-install on re-boot", rebooted, pushed "re-install on re-boot" a few more times, rebooted again...

The package manager told me that it "Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot", and I believed it.  :)