unMenu HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

greybeard

I get one of these lines in the syslog 100% of the time when I click on Main, myMain or refresh either page. The number inside the [ ] just keeps getting larger and larger.

Mar 21 13:41:12 Cyclops ata_id[2108]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

Mar 21 14:08:53 Cyclops ata_id[9936]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

Mar 21 14:08:56 Cyclops ata_id[10023]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

Mar 21 14:08:57 Cyclops ata_id[10110]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

Running unRAID 4.5.3 on ASRock M3A785GXH with one Supermicro MV8 card.

unmenu.awk: Version 1.2 Joe L.... with modifications as suggested by bjp999 and many othersPlug-in-modules

07-unmenu-mymain.awk: 1.45 - contributed by bjp999

08-unmenu-array_mgmt.awk: 1.0 - Joe L.

09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk: 1.2 - print reiserfsck commands for rebuild-tree (if needed) to screen. Joe L.

10-unmenu-links.awk: 1.2 Fixed increment of link counter

16-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: .9  - modified by Joe L. to escape special charaters

17-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: .8  - modified by Joe L. to use a pattern file.

18-unmenu-lsof.awk: Version: .1  - Joe L.

20-unmenu-usage.awk: 1.0

25-unmenu-dupe_files.awk: 1.2 deal with appostraphe in file name

29-unmenu-sysinfo.awk: 1.3 - modified to better deal with utilities not yet installed Joe L.

30-unmenu-file_browser.awk: 1.1.4 fixed handling of directory names with embedded spaces. Joe L.

50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi: .3 - Fixed to allow single quotes in button labels

600-unmenu-file_edit.awk: .2 Updated with ideas borrowed from go-script-manager plug-in to keep backup versions of files.

99-unmenu-utility.awk: 1.0 - contributed by bjp999

990-unmenu-wget.awk: 1.5 Improved handling of download when 404 "not-found" error returned on download URL

999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk: 1.1 Joe L. -- Added parse of "ps" to check for non-standard emhttp port.

I get one of these lines in the syslog 100% of the time when I click on Main, myMain or refresh either page. The number inside the [ ] just keeps getting larger and larger.

Mar 21 13:41:12 Cyclops ata_id[2108]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

Mar 21 14:08:53 Cyclops ata_id[9936]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

Mar 21 14:08:56 Cyclops ata_id[10023]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

Mar 21 14:08:57 Cyclops ata_id[10110]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:32'

Running unRAID 4.5.3 on ASRock M3A785GXH with one Supermicro MV8 card.

unmenu.awk: Version 1.2 Joe L.... with modifications as suggested by bjp999 and many othersPlug-in-modules

07-unmenu-mymain.awk: 1.45 - contributed by bjp999

08-unmenu-array_mgmt.awk: 1.0 - Joe L.

09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk: 1.2 - print reiserfsck commands for rebuild-tree (if needed) to screen. Joe L.

10-unmenu-links.awk: 1.2 Fixed increment of link counter

16-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: .9  - modified by Joe L. to escape special charaters

17-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: .8  - modified by Joe L. to use a pattern file.

18-unmenu-lsof.awk: Version: .1  - Joe L.

20-unmenu-usage.awk: 1.0

25-unmenu-dupe_files.awk: 1.2 deal with appostraphe in file name

29-unmenu-sysinfo.awk: 1.3 - modified to better deal with utilities not yet installed Joe L.

30-unmenu-file_browser.awk: 1.1.4 fixed handling of directory names with embedded spaces. Joe L.

50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi: .3 - Fixed to allow single quotes in button labels

600-unmenu-file_edit.awk: .2 Updated with ideas borrowed from go-script-manager plug-in to keep backup versions of files.

99-unmenu-utility.awk: 1.0 - contributed by bjp999

990-unmenu-wget.awk: 1.5 Improved handling of download when 404 "not-found" error returned on download URL

999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk: 1.1 Joe L. -- Added parse of "ps" to check for non-standard emhttp port.

The number inside of the square brackets is the process ID.  It starts at 1, and will increment up to 32768 and then wrap back to start re-using the lower numbers again. It is simply a unique number of all the processes on the server at any given time. It has no meaning otherwise.

As far as HDIO_GET_IDENTITY, apparently, one (or more) of your disks does not support that low level call to its driver when we try to read its IO statistics.  you can ignore the messages.

As far as HDIO_GET_IDENTITY, apparently, one (or more) of your disks does not support that low level call to its driver when we try to read its IO statistics.  you can ignore the messages.

Thanks! Must be a driver thing. I have 3 identical Samsung 1.5G drives. Put them all on mobo ports, no error messages. If I move one drive to the MV8, no error messages. (Tried several ports.) When two drives are connected to the MV8, I get one error message each time. If I connect all three drives to the MV8 I get two error message every time. Not yet in a position to try connecting more than three drives to the MV8. I can only speculate that adding more will result in more error messages.

I'll do like you suggest and ignore the messages but thought there might be some value in knowing the additional details.

Thanks! Must be a driver thing. I have 3 identical Samsung 1.5G drives. Put them all on mobo ports, no error messages. If I move one drive to the MV8, no error messages. (Tried several ports.) When two drives are connected to the MV8, I get one error message each time. If I connect all three drives to the MV8 I get two error message every time. Not yet in a position to try connecting more than three drives to the MV8. I can only speculate that adding more will result in more error messages.

I'll do like you suggest and ignore the messages but thought there might be some value in knowing the additional details.

It just indicates the MV8 driver does not know how to handle that request for statistics on the drive.  Give the device driver writers a few more iterations and odds are the message will disappear.
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

just to inform, i had the same problem.

when i removed the disk from my MV8 card, it disappeared.

the strange thing is that i had the same message (probably caused to appear every minute by my s3_sleep script) no matter which disk was connected to a particular sas-to-4-sata sata cable. another disk connected to MV8 through a different sata cable from the same sas-to-4-sata bunch, caused no such messages.

i dont know what the cause is, i am speculating that the particular cable is somehow problematic...

i'm getting a LOT of those messages too ... i'll follow Joe L.'s advice ... sooner or later the driver writers will make it disappear.

i hope, because it kept flooding my syslog

but i have a feeling that at least in my case it is more than a minor problem. besides this syslog entry, my write speeds to the disk were erratic. when i changed the cable as i described, not only did the msg disappear but also the speed write speed become stable once again

• 2 months later...

Ok... looks like I am not alone ( which is good ).  I had made a few major changes, all around the same time, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't mess anything up ( I upgraded to UnRaid 4.5.6 , Added an 8 Port SATA Controller, removed HPA and added 2 more HDD ).

I get one of these "errors" about every 61 seconds.    You add into that my clock adjusting itself every 14 minutes, you get one really long syslog!

So...I just need to hold tight and wait for a new release of UnRaid that incorporates an upgraded driver, but not to worry about them.  Got it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... looks like I am not alone ( which is good ).   I had made a few major changes, all around the same time, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't mess anything up ( I upgraded to UnRaid 4.5.6 , Added an 8 Port SATA Controller, removed HPA and added 2 more HDD ).

I get one of these "errors" about every 61 seconds.    You add into that my clock adjusting itself every 14 minutes, you get one really long syslog!

So...I just need to hold tight and wait for a new release of UnRaid that incorporates an upgraded driver, but not to worry about them.   Got it! :)

The newer version of unmenu.awk should eliminate most of those by using an alternate method of determining if the disk is spinning.

Use the "Check for Updates" button on the User-scripts page.

Yes, your version is VERY ancient.  (many many new features)

See this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.0

Joe L.  

You just need to stop working so hard and releasing so many versions of it, then I wouldn't be as far behind :P

Seriously... your efforts are appreciated immensely !  :)

I'll read through that thread and hopefully its as easy to update as the main UnRaid program is :)

Yes, your version is VERY ancient.  (many many new features)

See this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.0

Joe L.  

You just need to stop working so hard and releasing so many versions of it, then I wouldn't be as far behind :P

Seriously... your efforts are appreciated immensely !  :)

I'll read through that thread and hopefully its as easy to update as the main UnRaid program is :)

The thread shows the 1.3 version as it evolved and people suggested improvements based on the new capabilities.

To update unMENU in the future is as simple as pressing the "Check For Updates" button on the user-scripts page and then pressing the "Install Updates" if there are any listed.  It becomes even easier for most people than ever before.  The download and install is done for you.  Backup copies are automatically made of any files upgraded, in case you wish to revert.  You only need to re-configure any updated package where you changed the configurable fields.

Joe L.

Archived