Can't mount external ext3 USB harddrive?

Is ext3 support enabled in unRAID?  Keep getting filesystem type uknown error.

Can anyone tell me the command to temporarily mount an ext3 drive, or how to install necessary support?

Darren

There is no ext3 driver module in unRAID, but if the ext3 file-system was cleanly unmounted, and there are no journal entries to replay, it may be mounted as ext2.

Thanks for your prompt responses guys - seems mounting it as ext2 worked.

For other peoples benefit...

# vol_id /dev/sdd1 reported it as ext3

# mount -t ext2 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/usb_temp seemed to work eventually

This will do as I just want to get the data onto one of the permanent disks and then get it out of there.

Lots of strange behavioiur in doing it though.  Kept complaining the device was busy, took a few restarts and then eventually when it did mount the drive as ext2 it seemed to trash the other mount points setup by unRAID.  So I manually remounted one of my disks and the copy seems to be working now.  Time will tell in a few hours when the transfer is complete.

Hopefully after another reboot it will clean it all up :-)

• 9 months later...

well i got problems too

anyone can help , look at http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5904.165

First of all, what is the filesystem of that external drive that you are trying to mount? From your posts it is not ext2 and probably not ext3 either. You need to know the filesystem first if Linux is not autodetecting it when you try to mount it.

actually it is ext 2/3

but i've solved the problem on my own, not like i wanted to but hey.. its copying now at 11 MB/s thats a bit more than the earlier 2MB/s (from the dune)

its also no external drive but an internal sata wd 20ears

i've taken the drive outside the server, plugged it into my vista pc, and using teracopy its now copying to my unraid data disk

i thought it would go faster; at least 20MB/s but i think in some way teracopy is holding back i dunno why

actually it is ext 2/3

but i've solved the problem on my own, not like i wanted to but hey.. its copying now at 11 MB/s thats a bit more than the earlier 2MB/s (from the dune)

If you are copying the data over a 100mbit ethernet connection then 11 or 12 MB/s is the fastest you can get.

i've taken the drive outside the server, plugged it into my vista pc, and using teracopy its now copying to my unraid data disk

i thought it would go faster; at least 20MB/s but i think in some way teracopy is holding back i dunno why

What ext2/3 driver did you install in Vista to mount the drive? ext2fsd?

actually it is ext 2/3

If you are copying the data over a 100mbit ethernet connection then 11 or 12 MB/s is the fastest you can get.

What ext2/3 driver did you install in Vista to mount the drive? ext2fsd?

yes its 100mbit for now...

i have to buy a gigabit switch very soon lol

and yes; its ext2fsd