Norco SS500 5 in 3 hotswap stackers (revised)

terrastrife

My bundle of stackers came in, and i havbe to say, Norco have fixed up everything that was wrong with them. The flimsy plastic brackets are gone replaced with a steel tray, the latch is much more sturdy and now spring loaded, the indicator lights ano longer blind your eyes, and the whole unit itself is shorter by half an inch.

theyr epretty cheap too.

v4whw5.jpg

Nice picture. I decided to get this one as well and I love it. Yours are upside down though, or at least the screw holes didn't match up when I tried mine that way. Do you know anything about the one jumper inside? I unplugged the fan and already replaced it with a different one so the jumper setting must not apply to any fan settings. Must be to disable or enable the over temp buzzer.

all the screw holes line up just fine, all of em :)

i rather have the latches, which way do others put them?

I guess it really doesn't matter. But if you put it so the latches and LEDs are at the bottom then it seems to be a little easier to insert the trays. The edge of the tray with the LEDs is a little longer so it makes sense to set it in on that edge and guide the tray in that way.

awful epxensive when:

http://www.xcase.co.uk/X-Case-RM-413-4u-Rackmount-p/case-xcase-rm413-lcd.htm

is a non hot swap 4U server rack complete for 13 disk and not more epxenisve than just one of these Norco things.

Yeah but some people don't want a 4U Server chassis. At $160 before shipping I hardly call that "not more expensive". Besides, I don't know why you are even comparing this to a hot swap cage. This server isn't even hot swap at all. Completely different case for completely different requirements.

the norco 4220 is cheaper than buying 4 stackers (it uses teh exact same trays)  :)

NAS: that rm413 not only does it take up heaps of space, its only got 13 bays and they arent hotswap. drive density is the key here, and it costs money. i have space for 20 HDDs in my cheap steel mid tower case :) i could possible go 22, but thats pushing it and would require me to fabricate. 20 is fine with all off the shelf parts.

awful epxensive when:

http://www.xcase.co.uk/X-Case-RM-413-4u-Rackmount-p/case-xcase-rm413-lcd.htm

is a non hot swap 4U server rack complete for 13 disk and not more epxenisve than just one of these Norco things.

Yeah but some people don't want a 4U Server chassis. At $160 before shipping I hardly call that "not more expensive". Besides, I don't know why you are even comparing this to a hot swap cage. This server isn't even hot swap at all. Completely different case for completely different requirements.

Not even sure how you seen that post. I deleted it immediately after i posted cause my facts didnt add up.