Onboard Marvell not being recognized

Kaygee

Put together a new server today and all is well except onboard Marvell controller (88SE64xx PCIe device) isnt triggering sata_mv to load, hence no disks on this device are being seen. Can goto bios of the device and all HDDs are recognized OK.

Onboard sata_nv device is working fine.

Board is a Asus M2N32 WS (PCI-X and PCI-e buses, 9 sata ports on board + ESATA).

Tried 4.5b13, 4.5 final and 4.5.3. No joy.

~Unmenu sys info pci devices shows:

09:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE614x SATA II PCI-E controller (rev 01) (prog-if 81)

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 81d6

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11

I/O ports at ac00

I/O ports at a800

I/O ports at a400

I/O ports at a000

Memory at fdeff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Expansion ROM at fde80000 [disabled]

Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2

Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [e0] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00

Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

Syslog attached.

Tried several bios options inc disable ACPI, PnP OS on/off, IDE controllers enabled/disabled. Disable LPT (was on IRQ 7).

Any advice?

syslog-2010-03-28.txt

It's not like sata_mv is missing from unRAID.  I have a Marvell controller, and it's working just fine.

root@Tower:~# lspci
01:05.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 09)
root@Tower:~# lsmod
sata_mv   19903  6
root@Tower:~# grep sata_mv /var/log/syslog
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: sata_mv 0000:01:05.0: version 1.28
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: sata_mv 0000:01:05.0: PCI->APIC IRQ transform: INT A -> IRQ 19
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: sata_mv 0000:01:05.0: Gen-II 32 slots 8 ports SCSI mode IRQ via INTx
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: scsi1 : sata_mv
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: scsi2 : sata_mv
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: scsi3 : sata_mv
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: scsi4 : sata_mv
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: scsi5 : sata_mv
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: scsi6 : sata_mv
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: scsi7 : sata_mv
Mar 11 11:19:26 Tower kernel: scsi8 : sata_mv

So sata_mv is here and well, but for some reason it's not kicking in for your controller.  Maybe somebody else could explain why.

Tried that this am and it didnt appear to do anything. Will confirm later on when I'm home.

hmm, ok. Do it again then type "dmesg". If you can, post the last few lines you see after typing that command. If the driver loaded and found the sata controller it should list some info there on what it found.

You may need to compile a kernel or at least a new driver for it. I personally find it hard to believe that the sata controller on your board isn't supported in linux yet but googling around I keep finding posts from 2007 where people were never able to get it working. That marvel driver in the kernel doesn't specifically list 88SE614x as a supported chipset either.

BUT, I was looking at buying a marvel daughterboard for my mini itx system that uses the same class of chipset that yours has (88SE6145) and they have a driver you can download for it. Look for the ADPE4S sata board and with it there is a linux driver link. You would have to compile the driver for your kernel though. I can try if you want. Just let me know what kernel version or unraid version you are using. Too bad, that's a lot of nice sata ports you have there.

That is a mighty kind offer, I'm running 4.5.3, from what I can tell my assumption sata_mv should be loaded was incorrect (as you pointed out). It should work with the standard ahci driver but doesnt work with that either. Looks like the pata_marvell driver causes mayhem and no one appears to have got it working.

modprobe ahci doesnt offer any insight.

11ab (marvell vendor ID) and 0x6141 is the device id. Something like

{PCI_VDEVICE(MARVELL, 0x6141), board_ahci_mv }, /* 6141 */

or

{PCI_VDEVICE(MARVELL, 0x6141), board_ahci }, /* 6141 */ 

Since no one has a reliable working version I'm happy to disable it in the bios and leave it at that. As you say a shame it doesnt work but with two PCI-x slots and four PCI-e slots left to fill it isnt the end of the world.   

I just tried but that sata driver from jetway would not build OR patch against the unraid kernel. Things in the kernel have probably changed too much for that driver to work as is.

Surprisingly wikipedia has a lot about getting your sata ports working: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvell_Technology_Group_chipsets#88SE61xx_Chipsets_Linux_support

So the drivers that should be able to drive your ports are either pata_marvel or ahci. Probably want to use ahci unless you really need to use your ide ports.

You need to add a module perimeter to enable the marvel apparently. Try this while telnetted into your unraid:

"rmmod ahci"  - that will unload the ahci driver

"modprobe ahci marvell_enable=1" - that should reload it with marvel support. Then hopefully your sata ports will work. If they do (dmesg should help) then just edit your syslinux.cfg on your flash and add "ahci.marvell_enable=1" to the append line of your unraid selection. For example:

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology LLC
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
 menu default
 kernel bzimage
 append initrd=bzroot ahci.marvell_enable=1
label Memtest86+
 kernel memtest

Good luck. Oh, and make sure the sata ports are enabled in the bios and in "ahci" mode, not ide emulation.

• 3 weeks later...

OK been playing around with this again today, and indeed latest AHCI.C doesn't have the PCI device ID for the 6141 version of the chip, 6121 and 6145 are recognized but not 6141. I'm going to try emailing Tom and asking him to add the alias for this chip.

Seems adding the chip has happened many times, no one has done it though...