Asus M2N32 WS MB, Highpoint 1820A PCI-X card and LSI 1068 non RAID PCIe card

Kaygee

Just swapped out my original unraid motherboard with an Asus M32N32 workstation board. The XFX only had one x1 PCIe slot and one x16 PCIe slot.

The new motherboard has two PCI-X slots (not sure if they are shared), two x16 PCIe slots and two x1 PCIe slots. Dual gigabit NICs.

Downsides are the onboard additional sata marvell controller doesnt seem to be recognized so the three additional onboard sata ports arent usable nor the external esata port. Highpoint 2300 doesnt work in the PCIe X16 slot but works in the X1 slots. I'll try my other x1 sata card in one of the x16 slots at some point (it worked in the x16 slot on the XFX).

Good news is the highpoint 1820a PCI-x board is recognized and works a treat, uses the MV88SX5081. I think this is the same chipset as the Supermicro MV8. The LSI 1068 (Dell 5e non raid) seems to be recognized OK in both x16 slots which will be nice in the future if I need more drives in an external enclosure. For now the highpoints 8 and 6 onboard ports should fill the case nicely. The highpoint 2300 can be retired at least for now. 

The quad port matrox PCI VGA card is due to be swapped for smething a little less power hungry. But has worked well for proving.

The onboard Marvel 8116 NICs seem to work well. 

All in all a good swap, pleased with the results.

Just swapped out my original unraid motherboard with an Asus M32N32 workstation board. The XFX only had one x1 PCIe slot and one x16 PCIe slot.

The new motherboard has two PCI-X slots (not sure if they are shared), two x16 PCIe slots and two x1 PCIe slots. Dual gigabit NICs.

Downsides are the onboard additional sata marvell controller doesnt seem to be recognized so the three additional onboard sata ports arent usable nor the external esata port. Highpoint 2300 doesnt work in the PCIe X16 slot but works in the X1 slots. I'll try my other x1 sata card in one of the x16 slots at some point (it worked in the x16 slot on the XFX).

Good news is the highpoint 1820a PCI-x board is recognized and works a treat, uses the MV88SX5081. I think this is the same chipset as the Supermicro MV8. The LSI 1068 (Dell 5e non raid) seems to be recognized OK in both x16 slots which will be nice in the future if I need more drives in an external enclosure. For now the highpoints 8 and 6 onboard ports should fill the case nicely. The highpoint 2300 can be retired at least for now. 

The quad port matrox PCI VGA card is due to be swapped for smething a little less power hungry. But has worked well for proving.

The onboard Marvel 8116 NICs seem to work well. 

All in all a good swap, pleased with the results.

When you get the time to do the Level Testing stuff outlined on the Hardware Compatibility page let me know and I will get the board updated with the information.