Norco 4224 Thread

Guest Jomp

I could ask... hope it is swapable. It seems to pass to the front, but is that the whole face plate that would need to be replace or does it pop out of the faceplace in the front?

But in regards to broken down, 4 missing backplanes, every wire disconnected do to this, no fan plate attached (to get to the bad backplanes) is pretty broken down... waiting on the replacement STILL. four screws the PSU is out and she's in a box!

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That kind of sucks. no, that seriously sucks.

nothing like having a grand worth of toys you cant use sitting there teasing you.

Here are my "not USB" plugs. plus a few fans I was testing.

The ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan fits the mid and rear fan mounts like a Glove and are pretty quiet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999199

I'm not sure if it is is enough CFM to keep everything cool yet when the  bays are all full if you use them in the middle. I am using the stock mid fans for the moment.

I once knew what those white plugs were for on the backplane? I didn't see them pictured in the manual. can someone remind me?

lVaPU.png

Here is a picture of the Norco wire harness in action. it has 7 female plugs and 1 Male. that should get all 6 backplanes and the fan molex.

The gauge is a little thin IMO. I would definitely consider running 2 sets of these. I have a feeling they were made for fans, but meeh. I live on the edge!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133040

There is also the black tab that broke off my fan quick release the second time i tried to remove it, it got caught on a sharp bur and popped off with no force at all. :( .

qc4hG.png

Thanks for sharing all the pics guys, looking to do the same soon (crossing backplane replacements will all be good). I received my fan shipment:

Rear: 2 x Nexus PWM Series SP802512H-03PWM 80mm Case Fan (PWM Y cable to the MB)

Mid-Plate:

3 x Nexus PWM Series D12SL-12PWM 120mm Case Fan (PWM straight to the MB)

This was the best I could come up with specs, the mid plate definitley moves more air then the stock (4) 80's, but not the rear ones. Still the most CFM/RPM with PWM combo I could find but keep dB levels low.

The MB is set to Performance (next level up would be Full 100% power) for PWM. So once I get enough drives in there I could still take it up a notch (want to check out that fan script someone wrote as well).

The clear housing & blades grew on me, when its all put together. By no means a selling point. My goal it to lock that top cover down, push it into the rack. And only visit it when I am adding drives or unRAID alerts come in  ;)

I once knew what those white plugs were for on the backplane? I didn't see them pictured in the manual. can someone remind me?

There's a manual?

I asked Norco Mike about the headers and white connectors were for and he mentioned that they were for "testing".

My 4 Blackplane replacements came in yesturday!!!

Question if you bought a brand new car right, and unfortunitly after a few months the tranny went (things can happen right?). Would you find it acceptable for the dealer to put in a rebuilt unit on a brand new car?

Heres is a glimps of what I got. All 4 are like this in each SATA connector area.

eOJl7.jpg

C7JBa.jpg

c5AkP.jpg

6084n.jpg

xGhUp.jpg

EtJma.jpg

JUST LOVELY. GLAD I paid to shipped the damaged ones on my tab, then waited for Norco to receieve them to send me this CRAP five days later!!!

Hold on I just may trust my up coming 40TB of Data on these backplanes soldered by a HACK

This is what factory backplanes come like:

Jun8w.jpg

meb6h.jpg

IpGWV.jpg

So when you buy something new you expect the same NEW part back not a referb. Time wasted PRICELESS.

I want to be fare so I will post the facts:

1) Purchase brand new Norco 4224 Case

2) First signs were 1 damaged drive cage, Norco support mailed me TWO replacements without asking for 2.

3) AS a courtesy when I asked for the 120mm mid fan plate it was sent to me for free.

4) When i brought up why the 26" rails did not allow the chassis to come out fully (you cant even remove the cover) they stated it was know and they are working on it, no timeline available. I was sent links two 2 option they could send me to help beaf up the rails at least. I selected one but they did out work. The idea was to be able to put these over the existing brackets. Pictures below.

5) Discovered 4 backplanes had either dead LED lights and/or SATA ports. I had to pay shipping to return and wait until they receive them before they shipped the replacements. What came was the refirbs above.

6) Did not even bother to test these as it was unacceptable. Called NewEgg and RMA'ed the chassis, they stepped up and overnighted a new chassis to me and sent over return label on their dime. The new chassis came with the new style front panel cables which are MUCH better and dont have to bend Motherboard pins to get them all on. The rest was the same. Tested well. Only complaint is front panel led film strip is peeling off from day one and the green power led light is leaking out...

Hope no one ever experience any of this or gets that UNIT i had (dont be buying any open boxes...). So build quality for me is a 3.8 out of 5. Hope no ones blackplanes ever go as the chance of recieve a new one not refirb is questionable. Having a pro build one for you and testing everything out and make sure what you are getting would help things out greatly.

Well my initial thoughts from the quick response on the drives cages, etc...  was 5 Star for Norco support, this experience just killed ALL 5. Newegg has once again stepped up and made thing right big time. Looking like the next one will be a SuperMicro 4U in the future. But will make the best of it with this one.

Q8lyZ.jpg

Sorry for the large pictures imgur is very slow to resize, but they will shortly.

Is it just my 4224 or did the blue activity LEDs get swapped to some really dim led now?

My buddy has a 4020 with the same cages and different backplanes, those are blinding.

I can barely see them when they are lit and if the lights are on, forget it.

The green power lights are OK. not to bright but visible in daylight and not overwhelming at night.

Thanks.

And yes i totally agree that the bright blue LED fad was irritating. but, I have to turn the lights out to get an idea of what drives are spinning.. and even then i have to be head-on to see it.

oh well. maybe that will help to draw less attention to the norco when the wife walks past. keep moving, there is nothing to see here.

Also, has anyone see any issues with them on their side? strange heat convection's?

I have a spot between 2 towers on a shelf at the bottom of my rack with the ear hanging over the front.

I am sure I wont put it there. I'll most likely place it with my other now decommissioned rack mounts. It is just cooler (and more stable) at the bottom of the rack.

My 4 Blackplane replacements came in yesturday!!!

Question if you bought a brand new car right, and unfortunitly after a few months the tranny went (things can happen right?). Would you find it acceptable for the dealer to put in a rebuilt unit on a brand new car?

Heres is a glimps of what I got. All 4 are like this in each SATA connector area.

JUST LOVELY. GLAD I paid to shipped the damaged ones on my tab, then waited for Norco to receieve them to send me this CRAP five days later!!!

Hold on I just may trust my up coming 40TB of Data on these backplanes soldered by a HACK

Well my initial thoughts from the quick response on the drives cages was 5Star for support, this experience just killed ALL 5.

I'm not sure what I should be looking at. :/  Other than the solder rosin which is not corrosive as acid flux isn't used on a PCB's, I'm not finding anything wrong.  Then again, I didn't want to go through all the pictures clicking twice, then going back to post only to repeat. :)  Resize the pictures to fit, circle what you're seeing that I didn't please.  (I only looked at one of them)

Yes, black and red.

Also,

If you got the OEM Norco SAS-to-SAS cables. The first drive is on the right.

If you got the Norco Reverse Breakout cables, drive zero is on the right.

That might save you a few min in your build later.

Don't forget to close the vents on the drive cages you're not using. and of course open them on the drives you are.

I also went back and sealed up the cable holes in the mid fan bracket that I was not using with painters tape. It was pulling some air back into the fan wall gap through there instead of from the front.

Yes, black and red.

Also,

If you got the OEM Norco SAS-to-SAS cables. The first drive is on the right.

If you got the Norco Reverse Breakout cables, drive zero is on the right.

That might save you a few min in your build later.

Don't forget to close the vents on the drive cages you're not using. and of course open them on the drives you are.

I also went back and sealed up the cable holes in the mid fan bracket that I was not using with painters tape. It was pulling some air back into the fan wall gap through there instead of from the front.

Thanks for the answer and the advice.

There are vents on the drive cages?? I did not know this... Where do you access them?

Anyone want to take a guess at how loud (dBA)the stock fans are? Been listening to the fans and it's driving me crazy. I have to replace them!!

No guessing required go a few pages back I posted the specs and links

I found the info on both the rear and mid plate fans that shipped with the Norco 4224:

Mid Plate: (4) Size: 80 x 80 x 25.4 mm / Speed: 3000 RPM / Air Flow: 35.31 CFMs / Noise Level: 31.0 dB-A / Pins: 2 / PWM: NO

Delta Electronics, Inc Part Number: AFB0812H

http://www.datasheetpro.com/508371_download_AFB0812H_datasheet.html

Rear: (2) Size: 80 x 80 x 38 mm / Speed: 5700 RPM / Air Flow: 80.16 CFMs / Noise Level: 52.5 dB-A / Pins: 2 / PWM: NO

Delta Electronics, Inc Part Number: FFB0812EHE

http://www.datasheetpro.com/506649_download_FFB0812EHE_datasheet.html

Thank you!

Anyone want to take a guess at how loud (dBA)the stock fans are? Been listening to the fans and it's driving me crazy. I have to replace them!!

No guessing required go a few pages back I posted the specs and links

I found the info on both the rear and mid plate fans that shipped with the Norco 4224:

Mid Plate: (4) Size: 80 x 80 x 25.4 mm / Speed: 3000 RPM / Air Flow: 35.31 CFMs / Noise Level: 31.0 dB-A / Pins: 2 / PWM: NO

Delta Electronics, Inc Part Number: AFB0812H

http://www.datasheetpro.com/508371_download_AFB0812H_datasheet.html

Rear: (2) Size: 80 x 80 x 38 mm / Speed: 5700 RPM / Air Flow: 80.16 CFMs / Noise Level: 52.5 dB-A / Pins: 2 / PWM: NO

Delta Electronics, Inc Part Number: FFB0812EHE

http://www.datasheetpro.com/506649_download_FFB0812EHE_datasheet.html

Thank you!

;)

With that info and all the posts of what members posted fits in a norco 4224 you can make the right decision for you.

My config with just unraid running I set my PWM fans to Performance in the bios(I have one notch up i can go "Full") With ESXi running (virtulized unRAID) other vm's, and i unleash a VM with Handbrake (v8 procs) the stock fin/fan on my xeon is not enough (plus to LSI controllers) I need to beef up the proc fin/fan combo and change my bios setting to FULL on the PWM fans. 17min to re-encode a DVD   8) The IPMI  is shooting me emails that the proc temp is "HIGH" every 2 mins, I ran down pulled out the chassis from the rack while it was running, put my hand near the proc fan, not good!!! We could barbecue here..

Can anyone recommend a xeon fin/fan combo that is not to tall in this case? I could really use some advice on this one.

• Guest changed the title to Norco 4224 Thread