The New Drobo FS

prostuff1

So it would appear that Drobo has finally released a true NAS device and not some "add on" device (DroboShare) to make there old Drobos into a "fake" NAS.

Here is the link to the Drobo FS on the Drobo site. Along with a link to an Engadget Article.

I am not going to give up my unRAID system by any means but the small footprint of these is was really makes them look good.  If i could only find a case that is similar to this that I could install unRAID onto that would be great.

One of the things that does annoy me a little bit is that there is no USB port.  I would have loved to see one so that i could have plugged a UPS into the machine.  I had 2 power blips last night during a huge thunderstorm and the UPS saved my unRAID server from shutting down.  As far as I am concerned no NAS should be without a UPS!

Reckon I could end up getting one of these http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product∏=39 if/when they become available in the UK. 

My current case only really can handle 12 drives but really needs a couple of 5-in-3's to make it practical which can be quite expensive.  I actually have another identical case which I was thinking I would setup as a 2nd unraid server at some point but may end up trying to go with the above case and use 6 drives instead of 12.

Reckon I could end up getting one of these http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product∏=39 if/when they become available in the UK. 

My current case only really can handle 12 drives but really needs a couple of 5-in-3's to make it practical which can be quite expensive.  I actually have another identical case which I was thinking I would setup as a 2nd unraid server at some point but may end up trying to go with the above case and use 6 drives instead of 12.

Thanks for pointing out that case. I ti pretty much exactly what i am looking for.  Unfortunately I can't find it in the US either so i will just keep an eye out for when they do come available. 

It is a nice system, what with the small footprint, all the one-click apps, and the lack of USB bottleneck (though I agree UPS support is needed).  However $699 gets you an empty 5 bay model, whereas $699 could also get you an empty 12 bay RB-1200 (when they are in stock).

• 3 weeks later...

That fractal ITX case I linked to is on ebuyer for £150 which seems a lot to me  :(

Alternative is the Lian Li PC-Q08.  The lian-li doesn't include a PSU whereas the fractal does but the lian-li looks like it should be available for just over £90.

Think I may spec up a machine using these as I am at the point of thinking about getting a new PSU and 5-in-3 to move above 10/12 drives in my current case and this may be a better solution.