wiki unraid

Im not sure if it is doable, manageable or possible, but I think it could be a good idea, with a "Wiki-unraid", where we could gather the accumulated knowledge.

It could contain an overview, a manual, hardware-known-to-work, how-tos of different kinds, known telnet commands, and so forth.

I dont see it replacing the forum, but rather a result of the forum.

/Rene

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure if it is doable, manageable or possible, but I think it could be a good idea, with a "Wiki-unraid", where we could gather the accumulated knowledge.

It could contain an overview, a manual, hardware-known-to-work, how-tos of different kinds, known telnet commands, and so forth.

I dont see it replacing the forum, but rather a result of the forum.

I agree, this would be a fantastic idea!  There is lots of knowledge in the forum, but it is scattered around and often difficult to locate.  A Wiki is an ideal way to organise the knowledge in a structured and easily accessable way.  A Wiki also allows this knowledge to be assembled by the collaboration of forum members, and is therefore not reliant on Tom to solely author and manage the content (which would be time consuming).

I have my own TWiki based wiki on my home network, that I use for documenting my own notes.  I have already started a few unRAID pages to gather tidbits of unRAID knowledge that I have gained from reading the forum and building my own unRAID Server.

TWiki is only one Wiki varient, which was extremely easy to install and setup.  I'm actually using the VMware version so that I could run a full Debian based Twiki installation on my Windows Server.

If an unRAID Wiki "knowledgebase" was considered, I would certainly be happy to help contribute some content, based on the knowledge I have gained so far.

Ok, I have a wiki set up.  As soon as I figure out how to administer it, I'll bring on-line.  Any volunteers to help with this?

I'm using MediaWiki.

Awesome, this sounds promising!  :)

Once setup, final resolutions to future forum discussions (that are likely to be asked again) would ideally be added to the Wiki, then a link to the answer / solution wiki topic posted as a reply on the forum.  Visitors could then also be directed to search the Wiki first, before posting a forum support question.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with MediaWiki configuration / admin as I use Twiki (although MediaWiki looks like a good candidate, being the basis for other major public wiki's like Wikipedia).

Will you be able to setup MediaWiki to integrate the authentication / login with the forum logins? Or, will you require an independant login to contribute to the content?

• 4 weeks later...

I think good documentation is vital to the longterm success of UnRaid.  I see a lot of people who are interested in UnRaid but don't understand what they need to do to pull it off.  They end up finding another solution.  I want more people to discover the software, use it and enjoy it.  That makes Tom successful and ensures that we as the community have a product that is supported for a long time.

That might sound like I'm overselling the important of this wiki, but we REALLY need some good documentation.  A comprehensive FAQ, manuals, Wiki, anything, everything.  It should really be a high priority.

I want to add my second or third to all that's been written here. I'm sure there are many on the sidelines wishing for more documentation and especially now that UnRAID is only on the roll your own model, having a few parts lists, maybe 2-3 different levels; beginner system (3-6 drives), typical budget (cheapest way to get to a dozen drive system) and maybe the Ultimate UnRAID setups would be helpful, of course updated now and then with new prices and newly compatible parts.

• 2 weeks later...

We should add 1 thing to this:

Replacing a Data Drive

A data drive needs to be replaced for whatever reason.

backup 'config/super.dat' and 'config/disk.cfg' files to workstation

Stop the array

Power down

Replace harddrive with new drive.

Turn on

Replaced drive appears with blue dot

Tick the "I'm sure" checkbox, and press "Start will bring the array on-line, start Data-Rebuild, and then expand the file system."

Hefty disk activity and main page will show lots of reading on "the other" disks and writing on new disk as data is being rebuilt.

End

How do you make a backup of the 'config/super.dat' and 'config/disk.cfg' files to workstation 

Nice work, guys.  I think we need to beef up the troubleshooting aspect.  Perhaps even add a link to some build photos.  I received my hard drives yesterday so now I am ready to go - I'll try to take photos (and screenshots) and host them on my website.

Bill

Ok, I have a wiki set up.  As soon as I figure out how to administer it, I'll bring on-line.  Any volunteers to help with this?

I'm using MediaWiki.

Since Tom mentioned he was looking at MediaWiki (hows this progressing Tom?), I thought I would mention that the XBox Media Center wiki is nicely done, and is also based on MediaWiki:

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki

Tom, this might provide some ideas for how best to setup an official unRAID wiki section of your website?

The other thing we should add is upgrading from v3.0 to 4.0.  I need to do this.. so when I get a little time and once I go through all of this, I will try to create a solution to add to the database.

I really like unRAID and I really think this is a great idea to get a lot of important information gathered in one location...

Tom should really create an official wiki......

To me an official wiki is on the nice list,,, a lot of other things are on the need list.

Use http://wikihost.org/wikis/unraid until we have a better alternative.

/Rene

I agree... I don't understand exactly what Tom is doing here. He has real potenation with this product, but he has not quit his day job... which I don't blame him, but man... he is sitting on something that NO ONE ELSE has. Shoot... if he took a couple weeks of his day job and cleaned all this up and really turned this around, he would be able to leave his day job. 

Hey Parsec,

Nice job with that wiki.

I installed MediaWiki here.  This can grow into the "official" wiki if that's what the community wants.  At the moment, the wiki is totally open - no login requirement, no spam prevention, etc.

My main concern with exposing the "official" wiki is spam - it's already a big task de-spamming the boards, website, etc.  So let's just see how it goes.

/Rene

I know it is bold statement... but there is just nothing else out there like unRAID. I wish I had the cash to backup my talk... but I am young and only a few years out of school and I am not at the point where I have cash that is not invested. I just really love the idea of unRAID and really think that it could be taken to the next level!!!

Hey, I just wish Tom the best of luck and would love to see him have the opportunity to turn this business from a part time job into his full blown job... hiring some kids to build servers, test hardware, troll the boards, and build a wiki.

I am sure that Tom spends a lot of his free time on unRAID and I am not questioning his motivation with the product at all... he does a hell of a job trying to maintain everything... shoot I know that right now after my 'day' job I come home and have tons of crap to do and could not even imagine having to sit down and deal with my own business, its users, a forum, and I assume a lot of emails about our errors that we are seeing.

So I give tons of props to Tom and I love what we have going... I just hope that one day this can turn into what we all want it to be :)

Well, Tom is in Silicon Valley (Cupertino), I am near him (Palo Alto), there is still money flowing into startups, and I can help connect the idea/product to the cash and to other similar companies.

Tom, if interested, contact me.

Cheers,

Bill