Can unRAID be installed onto a MicroSD or SD card via USB adapter? Yes it can.

Rajahal

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Question:

I have a kingston Mobilelite G2 Cardreader with a 16GB SDHC card wit unraid on it. Flash GUID: 090C-6301-5678-901234567890 Guess this will not work for optaining a plus or pro license?

Am I correct inassuming that there are kingston Mobilelite G2 Cardreaders with a fixed flash guid and ones with a unique guid? If so, just my luck then.

Can anyone shed a light on this one, I have not mastered enough English to figure it out from the info in this topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Question:

I have a kingston Mobilelite G2 Cardreader with a 16GB SDHC card wit unraid on it. Flash GUID: 090C-6301-5678-901234567890 Guess this will not work for optaining a plus or pro license?

Am I correct inassuming that there are kingston Mobilelite G2 Cardreaders with a fixed flash guid and ones with a unique guid? If so, just my luck then.

Can anyone shed a light on this one, I have not mastered enough English to figure it out from the info in this topic.

I am currently using the Kingston MobileLite G2 reader with an 8GB microSD card/SD adapter. I purchased it just last week and it has a unique GUID (not the generic GUID mentioned above).  It works great.  I got mine from Amazon.  Maybe the generic GUID readers are old stock and some sources still have those?

Question:

I am currently using the Kingston MobileLite G2 reader with an 8GB microSD card/SD adapter. I purchased it just last week and it has a unique GUID (not the generic GUID mentioned above).  It works great.  I got mine from Amazon.  Maybe the generic GUID readers are old stock and some sources still have those?

Or, almost as likely, some are "real" Kingston brand with unique GUIDs, and others counterfeit fake copies, with generic chips.

Unfortunately, I've heard there is a lot of counterfeit flash drives and flash memory on the market.

Question:

Or, almost as likely, some are "real" Kingston brand with unique GUIDs, and others counterfeit fake copies, with generic chips.

Unfortunately, I've heard there is a lot of counterfeit flash drives and flash memory on the market.

I did the original research to find the Kingston MobileLite G2 because I wanted to be able to replace the flash chip if it failed and still have the same GUID.  I've use dozens and I can say without question they all have been very reliable and do come with unique GUIDs.    I use them exclusively with all my servers.

So Limetech will issue a key for a "Kingston MobileLite G2" card reader?

Yes, I got a key from Limetech last week for my MobileLite G2.  As long as the GUID is unique and not the generic sequential number GUID referenced in this thread, you are good to go.  The advantage is that you can replace the memory card if it; a) dies or b) you want to replace with a memory card of a different capacity or c) you want to run a different unRAID configuration on a different flash card.  The GUID belongs to the reader so you can place any memory chip you need in the SD card slot and the license remains valid.

In testing the Kingston readers I just received I noticed something people may want to be aware of.

On an older PC (Core 2 Duo from dell in my case - think its 3 or so years old), the card reader doesn't initialize quickly enough on first power up.  Meaning, the bios doesn't see it the first time you power on; a reboot (ctr-alt-del) just after initialization of the bios and it will then appear for boot selection.

What it means - if you lose power to the machine or do a powerdown, you will have to be physically at your computer to boot back into unraid from the flash drive.

On my newer systems there is no issue and I'm ordering keys today :)

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I bought a G3 for use with a ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS motherboard.  I quickly found that it would not boot properly from an SD card.  So I ordered a microSD card and it works.

Apparently, as near as I can tell, The BIOS will recognize the SD card and start the boot process.  However as soon as unRAID takes controll of the final portion of the boot process, the card is suddenly "lost" and the reminder of the boot process fails.