Nice small unRAID compatible flash drive

DocBlock

I looked back for a thread on this topic, but didn't see one. I found these at Best Buy for $19, but they're $11 at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178258

Anyhow, the little swivel part just pops off the main USB stick, leaving you with a USB card that barely sticks out farther than an RJ45 connector, and less than the lip of my case, in this example. They do of course have a GUID for unRAID registration. Not the fastest in the world, writes to the disk are 6MB/sec, but plenty adequate and the price is certainly right.

Rsq1o.jpg

Hopefully this is in the right forum, I'm still new here.  ???

The only downside of something that thin is the possibility of lateral breakage.

I would like a lil more meat on my USB key.

I use an extremely small Kingston Micro USB key. But it is also surrounded with Metal, so I never have to worry about breaking it.

That's small.. and looks sturdy too!

Yes, it is!

I favour it because of the size and because it has a full connector, which makes

it fit into the slot real tight (instead of the tiny USB-"blades").

Here are some pics to compare directly:

p5130086.jpg

...and inside the USB Slot...

p5130088.jpg

...and a view from the top...

p5130089.jpg

Pretty lights too?  I'm sold; how much, and where can I get one?

...hmm, looks like the Manufacturer is only active on the European market.

I paid approx 20USD (incl. VAT/sales tax) for this 4GB version.

Check the link in my previous post..there are two models...this one has

no colour-stripe and is marketed as the faster one. This one will work with unRAID.

Edit: Oh, as I understand from another post of yours...you'll be around at

this side of the world in the near future anyway...I picked mine in decent

computer store...you should only keep your eyes open when travelling.

The only downside of something that thin is the possibility of lateral breakage.

...well, that is a valid statement I heard so often when I did my research for my first build.

Obviously, if you want easy access to the Stick, you'll have to keep it on the outside of the box.

The smallest I could find is already discussed here.

Another option of course is to put it INSIDE.

Physical Access to the stick is not a priority 1 requirement, I'd think.

If your MoBo has no Type-A slot, you could try and use one of these pictured below,

which will convert a USB Pin-Header into two small Slot-A connectors.

p5140090.jpg

I looked back for a thread on this topic, but didn't see one. I found these at Best Buy for $19, but they're $11 at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178258

Don't buy this PNY, or maybe any PNY for that matter. I bought this exact USB drive a couple weeks ago. Two days later it completely failed on me. Plug it in, mount it and browse it and it was full of garbage files. Could not delete them or format or even fdisk the partition away to fix it. Check out the reviews on this thing on amazon and you will not want to get it. Something I should have done before buying it. At least mine failed within a time that I could return it.

If you want something this small, I would recommend getting this. Similar price and with the added bonus of being able to replace the flash.

• 8 months later...

When looking for a small usb flash drive I don't think you can beat this:

...this is my favourite.

See: http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/Speichermodule/Delock_USB_20_Nano_Memory_stick_4GB_54236.html

It is VERY short and fits into the slot real tight.

I can confirm that it works with unRAID, too.

That's small.. and looks sturdy too!

Hi Folks,

...think I need to withdraw this Flash from the list.

A couple of days ago I received email from limetech, stating that my GUID for my registered licence

will be blacklisted in future versions because of not being unigue. (I'll be issued with a renewed one

for free as soon as I will replace the flash...fair enough).

At first I couldn't quite understand the message about my GUID not being unigue. My unRaid Plus has been running for over

6 month now without a single problem with that stick.

Then I remembered that I actually did buy two of the sticks at that time (...and gave one to my better half the other day).

So, I borrowed the second stick and gave it a short test...guess what?...both sticks issue the SAME GUID.

This indeed means that the GUID is stable but not unique.

That's a real petty, because that tiny thing was very reliable and sturdy so far.

So, my hunt is on again.

...any suggestions (with a stable, unigue GUID please. I have no intention in ending up rolling in flash drives, you know  ;)

regards,

ford

I received the same email for my Lacie MosKeyto. Just ordered a Sansdisk Cruzer Titanium and an internal mount for it to replace it.

The current blacklisted drives from the server installation page are:

Blacklisted Flash devices

There are a number of USB Flash devices that do not have a valid serial number and can not be registered:

Lacie MosKeyto

Delock USB2.0 Nano Memory stick

Maxell ONYX

There may be others.

I received the same email for my Lacie MosKeyto. Just ordered a Sansdisk Cruzer Titanium and an internal mount for it to replace it.

The current blacklisted drives from the server installation page are:

Blacklisted Flash devices

There are a number of USB Flash devices that do not have a valid serial number and can not be registered:

Lacie MosKeyto

Delock USB2.0 Nano Memory stick

Maxell ONYX

There may be others.

Ah, nice.

If you follow the links, all sticks look quite similar.

.. extremely small, compact design... maybe they are from the same fab.

What's a good strategy to avoid that situation in the future?

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to buy two pieces of your favourite model

and check if each is producing a different GUID when testing with unRAID.

If you do not succeed...pass them on to your kids 8)

There's talk of LimeTech offering some way to check a GUID before registering it...so hopefully that will happen.  Of course you would still have to purchase the drive before knowing the GUID.

To play it safe, just stick with big-name brands and the drives recommended in this thread.

Ah, nice.

If you follow the links, all sticks look quite similar.

.. extremely small, compact design... maybe they are from the same fab.

What's a good strategy to avoid that situation in the future?

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to buy two pieces of your favourite model

and check if each is producing a different GUID when testing with unRAID.

If you do not succeed...pass them on to your kids 8)

This isn't 100% safe either. I was unsure of the Moskeyto so I bought 2 of them to see if they had different GUID's. They did so I registered one. It would seem that every one of them doesn't have the same GUID but they may pull from an unknown number of GUID's and allow some duplicates. Limetech was cool about the whole thing so no big deal. I was more worried that Tom would think I was trying to pull something. I gladly paid for UnRaid and want to see Tom profit off of his creation so if there must be a blacklist so be it.

It would be nice to be able to check beforehand though.As Raj suggested I'll just stay with the big name for now on. I just emailed the GUID of my Sansdisk Titanium in to register it. The MosKeyto is so small I'll find a use for it.

Archived