Gigabyte GA-D510UD - Level 1 passed

Just installed unRAID on this motherboard and it's gone on with no problems.

Currently transferring data to and from and seems to be running smoothly.

Since it is a Gigabyte MB, and this is your first post, I figure you might want to read about the HPA "feature" that Gigabyte has in their BIOS that might cause you some grief.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Topical_Index#HPA

Joe L.

Thanks for the heads up but i've been lurking for a while :)

First thing I did when I fired up the mobo was check for this in the BIOS and I can confirm that it's disabled by default.

No problem...  Just wanted you to not get caught by it.    Good luck with your server.

Glad to see Gigabyte saw that it was NOT a feature everyone wants.  (They got LOTS of bad press when it caused all kinds of grief in RAID arrays.)

Joe L.

Ye, I appreciate the help either way.

I do have a question though, with the level 1 testing do the hard drives have to be the same or similar? The reason I ask is I have two new HDDs arriving tomorrow so i'll have three to do the testing with but the third one is really old.

Ye, I appreciate the help either way.

I do have a question though, with the level 1 testing do the hard drives have to be the same or similar? The reason I ask is I have two new HDDs arriving tomorrow so i'll have three to do the testing with but the third one is really old.

It does not matter
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just got this board and I'm trying to find this HPA option, I'm using F4 bios and the only relevant thing I can find seems to be disabled by factory and it's called "Backup BIOS Image to HDD"

is this the HPA feature ?

Edit: I also found that (so far) the only way I can boot a usb thumbdrive with unRaid on it, is to disable USB2 in bios, is this true ?

Thanks for the heads up but i've been lurking for a while :)

First thing I did when I fired up the mobo was check for this in the BIOS and I can confirm that it's disabled by default.

So I was poking around in bios settings, trying to figure out why I couldn't boot with USB2.0 enabled, after a few restarts, BIOS stopped detecting any USB thumbdrive I inserted (even ones that worked before) so I did a Load Optimized Defaults. After changing what needed changing (non usb related) and restarting machine, suddenly I could boot my Lexar JD Firefly in USB2 mode.

go figure.... weird as...

I just got this board and I'm trying to find this HPA option, I'm using F4 bios and the only relevant thing I can find seems to be disabled by factory and it's called "Backup BIOS Image to HDD"

is this the HPA feature ?

Yes.  The BIOS will randomly pick a disk and create a Host-Protected-Area on it to store that BIOS image.  That will artificially make the disk look smaller to the OS. 

If the BIOS has that option disabled by default you are in great shape.  If not, don't let your CMOS battery get weak or die.  The BIOS will revert to it being enabled... and the hair-loss will begin.