Problems with hidden/system files (redux)

Well, I'm having a problem where all the files on my flash drive are viewed as hidden/system/read only files from my windows machine.  I'm trying to upgrade from 4.4.2 and to do that I must first remove bubbaraid.  Well, 'disable_bubba' is failing because it can't find any files in the 'bubba' directory of my flash drive.

It looks like the problem is related to the fact that I am using the default samba configuration and this is affecting certain bits in the file attributes.  So, I found out that I need to create a 'smb-extra.conf' file and place it in the 'config' directory of my flash drive.  I did that and put the following in that file

[global]
map hidden = No
map system = No

I rebooted the unraid box and I'm still not getting any love.  I've tried installing some things on my windows machine like 'filetweak' and it appears that checking/unchecking file attributes does nothing for files on the flash drive.

Obviously there is something here that I am misunderstanding, so if someone could clarify what I am doing wrong I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

Chris

Well, I'm having a problem where all the files on my flash drive are viewed as hidden/system/read only files from my windows machine.  I'm trying to upgrade from 4.4.2 and to do that I must first remove bubbaraid.  Well, 'disable_bubba' is failing because it can't find any files in the 'bubba' directory of my flash drive.

It looks like the problem is related to the fact that I am using the default samba configuration and this is affecting certain bits in the file attributes.  So, I found out that I need to create a 'smb-extra.conf' file and place it...

smb-extra.conf  does nothing in 4.4.2.  You must upgrade first.

An easy way to upgrade from bubba is to overwrite the following files with the ones from the new unRAID distribution package:

\\tower\flash\bzimage

\\tower\flash\bzroot

\\tower\flash\syslinux.cfg

\\tower\flash\config\go

You don't need to remove the flash disk from the server: you can do the above from a windows machine on your network.

smb-extra.conf  does nothing in 4.4.2.  You must upgrade first.

An easy way to upgrade from bubba is to overwrite the following files with the ones from the new unRAID distribution package:

\\tower\flash\bzimage

\\tower\flash\bzroot

\\tower\flash\syslinux.cfg

\\tower\flash\config\go

You don't need to remove the flash disk from the server: you can do the above from a windows machine on your network.

Aha!  This is really good stuff.  Thanks purko.  This whole upgrade thing has been making me nervous, and is bugging the hell out of my wife ("It already works, why are you messing around with this thing?  What is this going to do?").  Just to make sure I'm on the same page with you...  I do not need to first uninstall bubba and then upgrade as two separate steps.  If I just copy the files you have listed above over files on my flash, I will have done both in a single step?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

If I just copy the files you have listed above over files on my flash, I will have done both in a single step?

Yes.

If you are paranoid, you can rename (and keep) the old four files, instead of overwriting them.

(bzimage --> bzimage_old , etc.)

Archived