Antec 550W sufficient power supply?

I have this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817371002

sitting around in my closet.  Would it be enough for a unRaid server that will probably have about 12-15 drives in a Norco case with one or two of those 8 port PCI-E cards everyone likes?

I think it should be fine, i am using Corsair 550VX to power a 14 drives unRaid without any problem. The only thing you need to pay attention

is yours looks like is not single rail.

Antec TP3-550 :  +3.3@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,- [email protected],[email protected]

Corasir 550VX  : +3.3V@30A, +5V@20A, +12V@41A, [email protected], +5VSB@3A

later on when you add power splitter because yours has only 4 SATA power connectors, don't overload any single 12V rail.

That will be fine in a norco case. The Norco backplane takes old style molex PSU plugs, one or two per backplane. Buy some quiet fans you'll need them. Buy green drives and you'll hit those numbers no problem.

Most motherboards now have 4-6 sata ports so a single PCI-e 8 port gets you 10-14 drives.

If you plan on using two PCI-e 8 port cards make sure yor motherboard will support two PCI-e cards. 

sitting around in my closet.  Would it be enough for a unRaid server that will probably have about 12-15 drives in a Norco case with one or two of those 8 port PCI-E cards everyone likes?

I think it should be fine, i am using Corsair 550VX to power a 14 drives unRaid without any problem. The only thing you need to pay attention

Antec TP3-550 :  +3.3@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,- [email protected],[email protected]

later on when you add power splitter because yours has only 4 SATA power connectors, don't overload any single 12V rail.

Of those three 12 volt rails, odds are good that one of them is used for the motherboard, one for the PCIe video card connectors, and the last one for the molex and SATA drive connectors for disks.  You really then only have 18Amps available from one of the 12 volt rails, enough perhaps for 7 or 8 drives + fans.  Not enough for 14 drives.

Expect to need a different power supply once you start adding disks.

Joe L.

I do not believe it will power 14 drives without any problems. If you figure around 2amps per drive startup current. then 14x2 = 28.  which exceeds the 18A.

You might get away with it if you set the drives to power up in standby mode. But when you press the SPINUP button, all drives will be simultaneously spun up and you may start to have intermittent problems.

I suppose if you set your drives to never spin down, you might get away with it too.

That supply will work safely with 8 drives, Perhaps 10.

There is a reason there are only 4 SATA connectors.

In contrast my Corsair 620hx is rated at 18A for each 3 rails, yet it's stated the power is shared among rails.

The PSU came with 8 SATA connectors and 10 molex connectors.

I do have 17 drives running without issue on this machine so far.

Please consider checking out this calculator.

http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx

I'm not mr corsair fanboy, but it does give you a perspective.

You don't need that big or that expensive of a PSU, just one with a large sized single rail.

Power supply problems are a pain to diagnose.

I have a seasonic 500W supply and when I put the 9th drive on it, I start to have issues.

Intermittent drive spin up issues, drives that just go offline randomly.

By all means use what you have, just know that when you reach a certain level you will need to replace it and that level will not be known until you start to have intermittent issues.

Of those three 12 volt rails, odds are good that one of them is used for the motherboard, one for the PCIe video card connectors, and the last one for the molex and SATA drive connectors for disks.   

Hmmm.... I don't know there will be a dedicated rail for PCI-e because most of time there is no need except at gaming with powerful video card.

in this case, that is too bad because those 6-pins pci-e connectors from PSU only has 12V but 5V so we can NOT convert it to molex for hard disk that needs both 12 and 5V

Please consider checking out this calculator.

http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx

Most, if not all, of those calculators on line, like this one, only give users how many watt they needs but hardly there is anyone will give detail information because in the end it all depends on design on each PSU. That is why choosing sing rail maybe the most easy way out.  :D

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

in this case, that is too bad because those 6-pins pci-e connectors from PSU only has 12V but 5V so we can NOT convert it to molex for hard disk that needs both 12 and 5V

I plan on making a custom "connector/adapter" on my multi-rail power supply if I ever have the need.  I just need to get 5V from one of the molex connectors.  It is 4 rail, and it too dedicates one 12 volt rail to the PCIe video card connectors.  (And ONLY one 18 Amp rail is connected to the MOLEX/SATA connectors)

Joe L.

Corsair suggests 450W-650W power range. Given it is a Norco case, one molex from each flying lead into each backplane will be just fine.

Should it be needed push on molex plugs can be purchased to put onto the other 12v/5v lines (i really dont see it being needed) since you only need 2 molex plugs on one rail and three on the other. One plug for each backplane in the norco.

Each 12v rail will support 9 drives at 2a, 1 will be for CPU/mb so realistically the other two rail's will support a possible further 18 drives. This assumes worst case scenario.

With the new low power green drives, 20 drives shouldn't be an issue with a 550W quality supply. Single 12v PSU rails are "easier" but "split rails" arent exactly difficult...

Single 12v PSU rails are "easier" but "split rails" arent exactly difficult...

You cannot make that kind of blanket statement.

As I said, I recently purchased a very nice OCZ 550 Watt power supply on sale, knowing it was a 4-rail supply, knowing it suited MY needs.

It has 4 rails and the description looks like this:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/resources/drivers/600SXS_MD.pdf

Here is how the cabling is configured between the 4 rails:

12V1  

One of the two 4-pin CPU power connectors.

12V2

The second of the 4-pin CPU power connectors.

One of the PCIe connectors.

12V3

The 20/24 pin Motherboard connector.

All four of the SATA power connectors

All four of the MOLEX power connectors.

12V4

The second of the PCIe power connectors.

So.... All the disks SHARE the same rail as the Motherboard... and in my case, the 12V4 rail is completely un-used.

12V1 and 12V2 are way under-utilized.  

12V4 is completely unused.

12V3 will probably be overloaded if I attempt to put more than 6 or 7 disks on it.  (They say their overcurrent shutdown kicks in at 20.5 Amps)

So... do I really have 18 Amps available on the disk connectors... no...  not if the connectors share the rail with the motherboard and all the interface cards and memory plugged into it.

Now, do you still think a 3 rail supply is going to be organized any better for the needs in an unRAID server?  

Joe L.

I'd just use what you have, for now.    12 - 15 drives is a lot of data.  If you are in any type of position, as I was, having a few thousand DVD's to rip on to the hard-drives, you will be many months doing it.  Over that period, just watch the newegg sales flyer ( or which ever e-tailer had the deals in your country ).  I bought the Corsair 750, single rail, as having extra Watt's causes no harm.  Your server just uses what it needs.  At present, I run 6 drives off of it and I am adding 2 more next week.

Unless you can contact the manufacture and get very specific information about the 12V rail layout, you will be guessing as to how many drives past the average of 2A per drive.

It's not all about watts, it's how the rails are set for current protection.

With some of the corsair supplies, they say that it shares power from other rails.

Many times, the Molex and SATA (peripherals) are all on the same rail.

Also, add in the power for extra fans and/or backplanes and fans for those backplanes.

Spinbot has good advice. Use what you have for now, buy incrementally.

When you reach 9 drives, you'll need to make a decision, buy larger drives and replace a current drive, buy more drives, take gamble on how much more the PSU can handle, and/or buy a new supply.

Well, I already have about 10 drives... alot of them are smaller, older, nosiy, powersucking 320 or 500's though...

If there's any doubt, I'll just buy a bigger/better one.  I'd have to RMA the Antec anyways, it died on me with a Q6600 and 8800GT and 2 HD's, so I guess I don't have much faith in it to start with.

Thanks guys!

4 12v rails at 18a makes 814W, the psu is rated at 600W. You know it's a turkey straight off.

However even that psu could be made to power a Norco case by soldering in two or three molex connectors for about $5. Use the existing molex connectors to power two backplanes.

I'll admit 14 discrete HDDs might be a challenge given the piss poor design of that PSU, however a Norco is easy, you need 4/5 molex connectors each powering 4 drives. You have four rails. Solder in the needed new molex connectors (canibalize a power splitter or two) onto each of the the under used rails and pick up the 5v rail (red) from where ever you like. Chop off the PCI-e connectors and solder in the molex connectors, black to black, yellow to yellow.

If you cant do this any competent electrician will be able too.

However since the Antec PSU is suspect it should be returned or dropped in the bin. Bad psu's are likely to destroy components.

4 12v rails at 18a makes 814W, the psu is rated at 600W. You know it's a turkey straight off.

Surprisingly, most of the power supplies out there play the same game. 

The actual wattages specified are show here: http://www.ocztechnology.com/resources/drivers/600wchart.JPG

You can see under the Max-Combined Power they can call it a 600 Watt supply... but only if you load it up just right.

However even that psu could be made to power a Norco case by soldering in two or three molex connectors for about $5. Use the existing molex connectors to power two backplanes.

Exactly why I purchased it.  It was on sale, after rebate, for $25.  I am planning to replace my original Intel motherboard in my unRAID server with a new dual CPU server class motherboard I recently purchased.  The new motherboard needs two 4-pin CPU power connectors. (or an 8-pin one) The OCZ power supply has those connectors, in fact, just about dedicates 2 of the 12Volt rails to them.

The Sparkle power supply it will be replacing is a 300 Watt single rail supply. It is one of two identical power supplies in my server.  It only has to power the motherboard and some of the disks, as there is second 300 Watt supply dedicated for the others.

Since I know I can get about 200 watts out of the 12v3 connector on the OCZ supply, and I know I will only be powering about 6 drives, I'll be fine letting the Sparkle 300 Watt supply handle the others.  I might be able to save a few watts if I combined everything to one supply, with the required connectors, but there is no pressing need as the other supply is in place and cabled, and working just fine.

I'll admit 14 discrete HDDs might be a challenge given the piss poor design of that PSU,

It is not poorly designed if you have multiple power hungry PCIe video cards in your gaming PC and only one or two hard disks.    It was engineered for a different (much larger) target market,
however a Norco is easy, you need 4/5 molex connectors each powering 4 drives. You have four rails. Solder in the needed new molex connectors (canibalize a power splitter or two) onto each of the the under used rails and pick up the 5v rail (red) from where ever you like. Chop off the PCI-e connectors and solder in the molex connectors, black to black, yellow to yellow.

If you cant do this any competent electrician will be able too.

My first love was electronics.  I don't think I need an electrician.  ;D  I have been described as being able to do anything in computers ever needed in either hardware, firmware, or software.  I was about 10 years old when I owned my first Weller soldering gun.    I fully expect to eventually open up the supply and simply move the strands of molex and sata connectors to the currently un-accessible 12volt rails.  Only because the OCZ unit has a 3 year warranty do I hesitate and consider using a custom "Y" splitter/combiner cable as you described, and to pick up the +5 volts from somewhere.    As I said earlier, I purchased the supply knowing it was a 4 rail design and knowing it suited MY needs.  The caution I gave is for people like the author of this thread, who think a 550 Watt multi-rail supply can power 14 drives.  Typically, they can't.  The 12 Volt rails are not distributed as we might guess, and many manufacturers make it very difficult to know which 12 Volt rail supplies which connectors.

However since the Antec PSU is suspect it should be returned or dropped in the bin. Bad psu's are likely to destroy components.

We don't know if it is bad, just that it might not be enough for his eventual growth. 

Joe L.

[glow=red,2,300]We don't know if it is bad, just that it might not be enough for his eventual growth.  [/glow]

I never mess about with power supplies, anything else on a computer I'm willing to give the benfit of the doubt and test. If it is bad or suspect psu it is either returned or binned. Once you have had a PSU take out a CPU, expensive cards and a m/b you realise it isnt worth the effort.

Surprisingly, most of the power supplies out there play the same game. 

Agreed, once upon a time it was common practice. With the likes of Antec, Corsair and a few select others making good quality affordable PSUs it is now possible to avoid such supplies, although for $25 I might even of been tempted.

I never mess about with power supplies, anything else on a computer I'm willing to give the benfit of the doubt and test. If it is bad or suspect psu it is either returned or binned. Once you have had a PSU take out a CPU, expensive cards and a m/b you realise it isnt worth the effort.

Amen to that. I've had a failed power supply take out everything.

The only survivor was the Intel CPU.  Everything else was fried. mobo, hd, ram, controller cards.

After that I do not mess around with questionable or inadequately designed power supplies.

You have four rails. Solder in the needed new molex connectors (canibalize a power splitter or two) onto each of the the under used rails and pick up the 5v rail (red) from where ever you like. Chop off the PCI-e connectors and solder in the molex connectors, black to black, yellow to yellow.

I learned the hard way this doesn't work.

I got for my big Unraid server (16 drives) an Antec  Truepower 750 (because I am a Antec nut and really don't like buying other brand PSes). It is semi-modular. I tried getting tricky with Ebay cables, and eventually I got it so that the PCIe modules converted to Sata- but it did not power the drives!

After some research on Jonnyguru's site I learned (from the review of the 750, sigh) that you can't plug HDs into graphic lanes because they lack the 5v needed.

Now that 750 TP is in my main desktop, and I bought Antec's most powerful single rail PSU (the Antec Neo 620W) for my server.

Moral of the story? Graphic rails are wasted, avoid them by getting single rail PSUs...

I mentioned when using custom cables to convert PCI-e style supplies you would need to pickup the 5v rail for molex connectors and second the product description on those cables says unsuitable for Hdds.

What you need to do to make these convertors work is take a psu spliter cable and strip out the red cable (you need a sleeve to go over the socket type crimp to release them from the enclosure) or simply cut them out with a craft knife. You need just the socket to add to your molex and the tails of wire. Add this to your cable (goes in the opposite side to the yellow which should be empty currently). Then solder the tails to one of the existing 5v lines (pick this up from existing molex or sata wiring). If the tails arent long enough then buy a reel of the same gauge red wire to extend them back to the existing molex or sata lines. Make sure to buy some heatshrink to cover the soldered joints.