Author Topic: Final Word on the Samsung HD204UI  (Read 55108 times)

Offline PhilH

• Intel D945GNT (A+) / Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (F)
Re: Final Word on the Samsung HD204UI
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »
I guess I'll go against popular opinion also. I have a couple of Samsungs & they report their temperature accurately. They read around the same temp as my WD's and Seagate drives. We are not the Norm or Samsung did release a few bad batches of drives. All manufacturers do do that from time to time.
SageTV v7 WHS + 2 HD200's
unRAID 4.4.2 - P4 3ghz 1gig Ram - 3 Drives 4TB
WHS - Dual Xeon 2.8ghz - 3gig ECC Ram - 23 Drives - 26 Terabytes 
Blu-ray Titles 250
HD-DVD Titles 166
DVD Titles - Too Many To Count..

Offline johnieutah

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2010, 04:16:11 AM »
Ok, I returned the F4 2TB to Amazon.  Got to say brilliant service, they took the drive back no quibbles and even paid for the postage.

So completely confused now.  I need more storage soon, and am running 750GB drives at the mo.  So I'll be replacing the parity drive.  So it needs to be a drive I can trust 100%. 

If the F4 2TB is out of the question what should I be looking at?  The 154UI 1.5TB drive, the F3 2TB, or switching to WD - the 2TB WD EARS??  Bloody annoying TBH since the F4 offered best in class for performance, efficiency and cost.  Or I wait in anticipation that a patch will be released to make the newer drives work - but that could be a long time :(

These are the reviews that I've been reading from April of this year:
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Definitive-2TB-Hard-Drive-Roundup/?page=1

Cheers, Matt.

Offline boof

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2010, 04:17:49 AM »
I'm running a couple of F3 2TB's with no problems (so far!)

Offline Rajahal

• Global Moderator
  • Greenleaf Technology
    • Greenleaf Technology
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »
Since no one was reporting how they were getting their temperature readings I went shopping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MX5Y9C?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwgalttechco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000MX5Y9C
I also had a digital thermometer with a probe on hand just for another set of data.

That's an expensive toy!  I recently bought this one on sale for $15.  Probably lower quality, but it seems accurate so far.

Thanks for the extensive testing.

johnieutah: The only 2 TB drives that I know of that will work out of the box are the Samsung F3s, the Hitachi drives, and WD EADS drives.  The WD is the only green drive in that bunch.

I also recommend the WD EARS drives with a jumper (as they are cheaper than the EADS).  After installing the 2 cent jumper, the WD EARS will perform exactly like an EADS.

The Seagate LPs are OK, but upgrading the firmware is a huge pain.  I tried and failed, so I'm currently running one with the old firmware and just hoping for the best.  I ordered another one during the Black Friday sales for just a bit over $60, which is the cheapest I've seen any 2 TB drive.

I agree that this is an annoying time to purchase a new drive.
Like us on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter
Looking for a prebuilt server? Greenleaf Technology
Building it yourself? Greenleaf Prototype Builds
Troubleshooting | Wiki

Offline Giraffeninja

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2010, 08:34:45 PM »
I also think the f3's are one of the better drives. Seagate has scared me away since that 1.5 fiasco, as soon as Samsung burns me I'm sure I'll forgive Seagate.

I had 2 drives in my Raid 5 array fail within hours, then my external drive with the only backup of a few files failed as I was copying the data back. All of them were 1.5 Seagates. Needless to say I was unhappy, but they sent me replacements...

Offline kenoka

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »
Meh. I don't get scared off from brands based on things like that. It was certainly a serious debacle, and I don't begrudge anyone the choice to shy away from Seagate, but it's ironic that Hitachi is listed as being a trouble free alternative, since just a few years before the Seagate debacle, the Deskstar line [then owned by IBM], went through a serious boondoggle of its own. We called them "Deathstars" at the time, if that gives you a hint. Pretty much every drive company has gone through its lumps to one degree or another.

For that matter, I had a Samsung 1TB that I RMAed back, and the drive I got from them failed to pre-clear properly, and I had to send that one back as well. That is an experience that could sour someone on a brand. But they handled it reasonably well, and I now I have a working drive, so it's all good.

The bottom line is that the Seagate LP has been outstanding as my unRAID parity drive. That's while running the CC34 firmware. I haven't seen from any source that the CC35 firmware is required for all drives. What I've mainly seen is stuff about trying to fix periodic clicking while idle, which is the drive recalibrating. And updating the firmware didn't always fix the issue. My drive hasn't done this at all, so I haven't bothered to try the firmware update.

Offline BRiT

• WTF.com
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2010, 08:08:20 AM »
WARNING: There is a really scary issue with all the Samsung F4 drives, as reported in this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9339.msg89029

The bug report indicates Samsung F4's can generate Bad Blocks when hdparm or smartmontools or any other disk tool is used on them. They will silently corrupt your data!

Stay away, far away from these drives if you value your data!

Offline Chris Pollard

• Frumble Fabrics
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2010, 08:12:35 AM »
WARNING: There is a really scary issue with all the Samsung F4 drives, as reported in this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9339.msg89029

The bug report indicates Samsung F4's can generate Bad Blocks when hdparm or smartmontools or any other disk tool is used on them. They will silently corrupt your data!

Stay away, far away from these drives if you value your data!

Yup evil bug makes these drives a shambles waiting to happen. 

More info :-

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/SamsungF4EGBadBlocks
http://hardforum.com:80/showthread.php?t=1566067
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1551753
unRAID : Lian Li 343-B, Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe, Athlon 64 x2 4000+, 6gb RAM, Intel 330 120gb SSD Cache, Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 x2 - Retired
unRAID2 5.0.2 : X-Case RM424, Supermicro X9SCM-F, Xeon E3-1230 v2, AOC-SASLP-M8 x2, Seagate ST1000DX001 1TB SSHD Cache,  8gb ECC - 40.03TB
unRAID3 6.0b10a : X-Case RM424, Supermicro X10SLM-F-B, Xeon E3-1220 v3, AOC-SASLP-MV8, 500gb Momentus XT Cache, 8gb ECC - 25.47TB
unRAID Test Box : HP Microserver N36L, 2gb RAM - 2.55TB Usable

Offline samukas

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »
Samsung released firmware update for these drives: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=386

I'm wondering if this solves the issues with unRaid or if it isn't releated at all?

Edit: Oops, didn't see the other thread. Sorry for that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:54:37 AM by samukas »

Offline BRiT

• WTF.com
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
That firmware release is quite sloppy and will cause another mess. They did not change the firmware revision at all. There is no way to know if new drives have the updated and claimed to be fixed firmware or not. For now one will have to flash the firmware regardless of what it claims to be, even months from now.

I'm guessing and implying malicious intent that they purposefully did not change the firmware revision in an attempt to sweep this issue under the rug without anyone noticing.

Shame on Samsung for this future headache.

Offline Rajahal

• Global Moderator
  • Greenleaf Technology
    • Greenleaf Technology
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2010, 04:22:26 PM »
Gre-he-he-he-heasy!
Like us on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter
Looking for a prebuilt server? Greenleaf Technology
Building it yourself? Greenleaf Prototype Builds
Troubleshooting | Wiki

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »
That firmware release is quite sloppy and will cause another mess. They did not change the firmware revision at all. There is no way to know if new drives have the updated and claimed to be fixed firmware or not. For now one will have to flash the firmware regardless of what it claims to be, even months from now.

I'm guessing and implying malicious intent that they purposefully did not change the firmware revision in an attempt to sweep this issue under the rug without anyone noticing.

Shame on Samsung for this future headache.
With that in mind how do you even know if the update took place???

Without some way of confirming you have fixed firmware I'd stay WAY clear of these drives...    Even if you run the fix yourself... did it take? is it corrected?   do you have to test it by forcing an error?  Without a firmware revision number change you have no clue it worked at all.

As I said.. too many other disks in the market to use instead.   

Joe L.

Joe L.

Offline Blofeld

• one of my sites
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2010, 12:39:01 AM »
A shame, really, esp. since the F3's were so good. Why is it that manufacturers seem to take willing turns in shooting themselves in the foot? Release a drive with major problems (IBM Deathstar, Seagate, and now Samsung), and then are sneaky about the issue and the fixing process? They try to cover it up, which only makes matters worse.
unRAID Pro  Antec DF-85  ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO  AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.90GHz  11.5TB (2*2TB Samsung F3, 1*Seagate 1.5TB, 3* WD 2TB EARS, 1* Samsung F3 (parity))    Corsair TX500  4GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro  4GB Kingston Value RAM

Offline pras1011

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2010, 02:06:47 AM »
Here is the reason from the Samsung HDD department for the firmware number staying the same:

I just wanted to let you know the firmware version will not change after flashing. The version did not change because

it takes a long time to get customers approval for change notices. It would have taken over a month before we could

have released the fix.

Please make sure that for each drive the flashing process is successful…

We have already implemented the fix to our production. So drives available on the market in 2 months time will have the

fix applied. To be sure check the manufacturing date on the drives, January 2011 would be safer…
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:18:41 AM by pras1011 »
X Case RM420 (Norco 4220)
Asus Gene V Mobo
Intel G645 CPU
1 x Hitachi 7K4000 4TB parity hdd
14 x Hitachi 7K3000 Ultrastar 3TB hdd
2 x Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 (4.0.0.1808 firmware)
Corsair TX650W PSU
G Skill Ripjaws X 8GB
Unraid 5.0.5

Offline boof

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2010, 02:12:43 AM »
Here is the reason from the Samsung HDD department for the firmware number staying the same:

I just wanted to let you know the firmware version will not change after flashing. The version did not change because

it takes a long time to get customers approval for change notices. It would have taken over a month before we could

have released the fix.

Does this mean they've only released the current fix as a (dirty) stop gap? And there will be a proper release with a revised firmware # in a month or so once it's been through their internal procedure?

If this has happened because of their internal release policy - that needs fixed.