Author Topic: Final Word on the Samsung HD204UI  (Read 55021 times)

Offline ubergeek

Re: Final Word on the Samsung HD204UI
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2011, 04:32:50 AM »
I have 5 of these that I got on the newegg deal @ 60 each...2 are in my whs, but I really wanted to use for unRaid...I flashed two of the empty ones with the japanese FW already...I wish we could have some sort of feedback to test the functionality of the new FW for corruption issues...

I also did not preclear before assigning data drive and parity drive...can i unassign and preclear these still? I did set default to 4K aligned.
Unraid 5.0
UnMenu, SAB, Couchpotato, SickBeard, Plex, XBMCsalud, SNAP, Cache Dirs, Crashplan,   
29 TB current usable data cap / Norco 4220 case
Supermicro - X7SBA
E3300 Celeron 2.5ghz
(2) AOC-SAT2-MV8
4GB

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2011, 05:15:18 AM »
I also did not preclear before assigning data drive and parity drive...can i unassign and preclear these still? I did set default to 4K aligned.
Yes, you can, but you will lose any data on the data drive.  (and lose parity protection while it is being cleared too)

Make sure you are using the latest preclear_disk.sh script.  It is up to version 1.6 now.

Joe L.

Offline CDLehner

• Tips Welcome
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:34 AM »
Wouldn't you know it! I've been rolling with 1.5s for the longest time, and with a new box I'm getting ready to port over to, I saw this drive on sale for $80 at NE (where are you guys finding it for $60...2T for $60?). I decided to take the parity up to 2T, and start upgrading from there.

Then I come across this thread, and I'm like "why do I have a feeling they're talking about that drive I just purchased"...lol. Sure enough. Man, I'm a newbie, and I've not been big on jumpers, and special FW and such; I kind of plug and play, and I'm not looking to change that a whole lot.

So what's the verdict? I haven't unpacked this yet; should I try to send it back to NE and get something else? I used to roll pretty strictly WD, but now I see you need a jumper for the EARS, etc. Is this just for 2T? Maybe I should just stick with tried and true 1.5s?  ???

CD
unRAID 5.0-rc11 on Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT

Offline Superorb

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2011, 07:31:58 AM »
^^ It's a new drive, so there's no risk of data loss (not that it's occurred yet from flashing). download the firmware, unplug all other drives in the system, and boot to USB/Floppy with the patcher and run it. Be sure to check the firmware version number to confirm it successfully flashed.

BTW, Meritline has this drive for $76.99 shipped right now. Personally, I don't buy a new 2TB drive unless it's $70 or less (after rebate is OK).
unRAID 5.0 Final
Corsair CX500 PSU | 3 x iStarUSA 5-in-3 Hot Swap Cages
JetWay JHZ03-GT-V2-LF Motherboard | AMD Sempron 140 CPU | 2x1GB RAM
2 x Hitachi 2TB | 1 x Samsung 2TB | 1 x Samsung 1.5TB | 1 x WD 2TB Red | 1 x Seagate 4TB NAS

Offline CDLehner

• Tips Welcome
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:24 AM »
^^ It's a new drive, so there's no risk of data loss (not that it's occurred yet from flashing). download the firmware, unplug all other drives in the system, and boot to USB/Floppy with the patcher and run it. Be sure to check the firmware version number to confirm it successfully flashed.

BTW, Meritline has this drive for $76.99 shipped right now. Personally, I don't buy a new 2TB drive unless it's $70 or less (after rebate is OK).

Uh, here's what I heard: blah, blah...blah, blah, blah? Oh, and you paid too much...lol.

Seriously, I thought I made it clear I was hoping to avoid so much "prep" work. Is this really the new world order, or should I just pay like $5 more for another drive?

CD

Offline Superorb

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2011, 07:49:51 AM »

Uh, here's what I heard: blah, blah...blah, blah, blah? Oh, and you paid too much...lol.

Seriously, I thought I made it clear I was hoping to avoid so much "prep" work. Is this really the new world order, or should I just pay like $5 more for another drive?

CD

Honestly, if you think this is too much prep work than you shouldn't be tinkering with computers. It's a very easy process, someone outlined everything a few posts ago on this thread or one of the other F4 2TB threads. And I was just listing the price if anyone else was looking for one. I paid $80 for my drive back in the summer, it's still a good price.
unRAID 5.0 Final
2 x Hitachi 2TB | 1 x Samsung 2TB | 1 x Samsung 1.5TB | 1 x WD 2TB Red | 1 x Seagate 4TB NAS

Offline CDLehner

• Tips Welcome
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:51 AM »

CD

Honestly, if you think this is too much prep work than you shouldn't be tinkering with computers. It's a very easy process, someone outlined everything a few posts ago on this thread or one of the other F4 2TB threads. And I was just listing the price if anyone else was looking for one. I paid $80 for my drive back in the summer, it's still a good price.

Well, I don't think that's a great attitude for the unRAID boards. One of the things that I always list as a "plus" for unRAID, is it's fairly easy to run. Sure, the "advanced" users do more with it, but you can have a pretty low "server IQ" (comparitively speaking...compared to the public at large, I'm probably a server genuis...lol) and still roll with unRAID.

Let's put it this way; I've built 2 separate boxes, and had my array running fairly error-free for nearly a year. Could I update the firmware, and place a stupid jumper on a drive...especially if someone has outlined the process thoroughly? Sure. But I've never had to do such a thing to this point, and some of us try to keep server maintanence low. After all, I have other family and obligations, other than just my box...lol.

CD

Offline Superorb

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »

Well, I don't think that's a great attitude for the unRAID boards. One of the things that I always list as a "plus" for unRAID, is it's fairly easy to run. Sure, the "advanced" users do more with it, but you can have a pretty low "server IQ" (comparitively speaking...compared to the public at large, I'm probably a server genuis...lol) and still roll with unRAID.

Let's put it this way; I've built 2 separate boxes, and had my array running fairly error-free for nearly a year. Could I update the firmware, and place a stupid jumper on a drive...especially if someone has outlined the process thoroughly? Sure. But I've never had to do such a thing to this point, and some of us try to keep server maintanence low. After all, I have other family and obligations, other than just my box...lol.

CD

Building and setting up a server is a lot more detailed and intensive than flashing a drive. If you can build a PC, you should have no problems flashing firmware. If you want to be lazy, don't buy an F4 2TB or an EARS, it's as simple as that ;) Things will always require tweaking, it's just the name of the game. Yes, you shouldn't have to, but is it worth data corruption or premature drive failure?
unRAID 5.0 Final

Offline prostuff1

• Global Moderator
  • Greenleaf Technology
    • Greenleaf Technology
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:56 AM »
The issue with these drives is outside the realm of unRAID and it can effect the drive on ANY operating system.

You can run without patching the firmware but you are playing with fire and I highly suggest you do not try doing it.

Just do some google searching for patching the firmware on the drive and you should be able to accomplish the task
Like us on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter
Looking for a prebuilt server? Greenleaf Technology
Building it yourself? Greenleaf Prototype Builds
Troubleshooting | Wiki

Offline CDLehner

• Tips Welcome
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »
The issue with these drives is outside the realm of unRAID and it can effect the drive on ANY operating system.

You can run without patching the firmware but you are playing with fire and I highly suggest you do not try doing it.

Just do some google searching for patching the firmware on the drive and you should be able to accomplish the task

That's fine fellas; I'm sure you get my point though (or maybe not). There's hardware tweaking, there's network tweaking; there's the tweaking for the streaming devices themselves. In my house, that's Squeezboxes, Dunes, Popcorn Hours, XBMC. There's tweaking the Home Theater itself, and calibrating PJs and Plasmas.

I'm not saying I'm alone; I assume we're all that kind of geek. But it gets to be a bit much, and you know; maintain a job, family, and life...lol. To this point, I had never had to do much to the drives. Was I playing with fire; I guess so...but blissfully unaware. Just hate adding one more "tweak" to keep track of, to the ever expanding list. Maybe I should just go back to records and Laserdiscs...lol.

So...this drive should be fine, with the necessary precautions; even as parity?

Thanks,
CD

Offline prostuff1

• Global Moderator
  • Greenleaf Technology
    • Greenleaf Technology
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »
The drive will work perfectly fine and work just fine to use in unRAID so long as the firmware patch is done to it.  Without the patch you run the risk of silent data corruption, not a good thing.
Like us on Facebook | Follow me on Twitter
Looking for a prebuilt server? Greenleaf Technology
Building it yourself? Greenleaf Prototype Builds
Troubleshooting | Wiki

Offline CDLehner

• Tips Welcome
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »
The drive will work perfectly fine and work just fine to use in unRAID so long as the firmware patch is done to it.  Without the patch you run the risk of silent data corruption, not a good thing.

And it may even be that the update has already been done, right? Jan 2011 and after or something? Sorry...I'll go back and look through the thread.

CD

Offline Superorb

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2011, 09:57:24 AM »

And it may even be that the update has already been done, right? Jan 2011 and after or something? Sorry...I'll go back and look through the thread.

CD

Yes, but since the version numbers are the same there's no way to verify if the drive has been patched or not. Better to patch any drive with the ...001 version number than to chance it. Also, make sure you're using the JP1 patch as that is the only one that changes the version.
unRAID 5.0 Final

Offline Superorb

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2011, 10:25:53 AM »
So I was curious. How can I add DOS programs to the Hiren's Boot CD and run them? Do I need to create a folder on the USB drive for DOS programs? I couldn't find any documentation on adding DOS programs. There is an option when the drive 1st boots to use DOS programs which I was going to use for patching my drive.
unRAID 5.0 Final

Offline CDLehner

• Tips Welcome
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2011, 02:43:58 PM »

CD

Yes, but since the version numbers are the same there's no way to verify if the drive has been patched or not. Better to patch any drive with the ...001 version number than to chance it. Also, make sure you're using the JP1 patch as that is the only one that changes the version.

There's not? Not even with a like a drive-software tool from Samsung?

CD