Everyone who bought the Supermicro C2SEE for $20 - read this

Rajahal

We all got a great deal, and we're all patting ourselves on the back for it.  While I can't confirm it, it seems likely that the board selling out so quickly was in a large part due to us.  This tells me that we have strength in numbers.  So I was thinking - why stop there?

Newegg just embarked on their 'Black November' sale in which they have some special type of sale every day.  Now I'm sure we are all thinking the same thing - we are hoping to get some great deals on LGA 775 CPUs, DDR3 RAM, SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards, and maybe a Norco or some 5 in 3s.  Well, I propose that we put our numbers to work and try to get Newegg to give us the deals we want.

How do we do this?  Honestly, I have no idea.  I'm sure we've all gotten those emails about their 'product of the month' or whatever they call it, but I have no idea how to nominate items for that.  Does anybody know?  At very least, I figure we can all do the easy things - add these items to your cart, add them to a wish list, set price alerts on them, etc.  Let's give Newegg as much feedback as possible that these are the things we are interested in.

I propose the following items to pair with our shiny new motherboards (please feel free to propose more):

CPUs

Intel Celeron 430 (the default)

Intel Celeron E3300 (in case anyone wants more horsepower)

RAM

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066

(If anyone has any suggestions for ECC, 4 GB, etc., please post them)

Case

Norco 4220

CM 590

Antec Nine Hundred Two (because I recently fell in love with this case)

Hot Swap Bays

SuperMicro 5 in 3

Icy Dock 5 in 3

Icy Dock 4 in 3

PSUs

Corsair 650W

Corsair 650W (modular)

I'm setting price alerts on all of the above items for 50% or less of the current price, plus free shipping and no MIR.  I also added them all to a wish list, and added them to my cart.  I encourage you all to do the same.  Even if you don't want the particular item...well, help the rest of us out :)

Maybe this will work, or maybe it will be a waste of time.  But hey, we're all wasting time on these forums anyway, right? ;)

I like the idea, it can't hurt to try. :) So... I'm in, I'll add those to my Newegg wishlist and set price watches etc.

As far as 4GB(2x2GB) Memory goes, I didn't see any easy matches at 1066 speed. However if you look at the 1333 speed QVL list this:

Kingston 4GB(2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

matches the 2GB QVL except for the "K2" which I think is likely related to it being a kit of 2. Also similiarly to your 2GB memory there is another very close, but not perfect, Kingston 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3 1333 match here. It just lacks the "N9", much like your second 1066 memory lacks the "N7". BTW for those who haven't noticed it seems obvious the N# is the latency of the memory.

I can't personally vouch for the first 4GB DDR3 1333 kit, let alone the second, as I'm using borrowed PNY ram at the moment. I'm hoping for a better deal before I order a 4GB kit for my permanent setup. I'd personally be interested in any recommendations for a 4GB(2x2GB) memory kit, that they have been successfully using with this board. I have plans, but it's always nice to hear from someone who is hands-on with the hardware.

FYI: For anyone wondering why I over spec'd my CPU and Mem. choices more than needed for UnRaid, it's because I'd eventually like to try some VM setups on my UnRaid server.

/justme

I'm up for a group buy!

For the RAM, I thought that it was recommended to get dual channel memory...

Similarly, RAM speed makes little difference as long as you are running dual-port.  So make sure you get two sticks of RAM, one for channel A and one for channel B.

Here's some Dual Channel RAM:

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)

They are all under $39 with shipping. Not sure what the differences between them are.

OK, fixed the broken PSU link and dropped the second RAM link.

As for dual channel RAM, in my experience it doesn't matter.  However, depending on how you use your server, it may matter for you.  I've used anywhere between 1 GB and 5 GB of RAM in my various servers, and I haven't noticed any performance differences on stock unRAID.  What I think is more important is having a single 2 GB stick to better accommodate future expansion.  I really don't see any reason to ever buy 1 GB sticks of RAM again.

Still, if that's what you guys prefer, I'm happy to help vote for it.

Also, here's the latest Customer Choice Award Winners.  It seems that people don't nominate them, it is just any item that sells more than 500 units per month is automatically nominated.  So that probably won't help us much.

I kind of doubt that we can really make a blip on Newegg's radar, except in certain special circumstances. I think the Supermicro motherboard qualifies as special, because it doesn't have much mass market appeal, but is well suited for our purposes. I would guess that they went out of stock because they only keep a limited number of these on hand. So I suppose we could be helpful in clearing out old hardware that noone else is interested in.  ;D

Newegg/UPS (most likely UPS) let me down.  I ordered a the Celeron a day or two after I ordered my C2SEE.  Was do to get it today.

Here is the UPS tracking info:

11/03/2010 15:40:00 DAMAGE REPORTED / DAMAGE CLAIM UNDER INVESTIGATION[X]

11/03/2010 08:03:00 MERCHANDISE IS MISSING. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH ADDITIONAL DETAILS. / ALL MERCHANDISE MISSING, EMPTY CARTON WAS DISCARDED. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH DETAILS OF THE DAMAGE[X]

11/02/2010 23:57:00 UNLOAD SCAN

11/01/2010 21:28:00 ARRIVAL SCAN

10/30/2010 00:28:00 DEPARTURE SCAN

10/29/2010 21:45:00 ORIGIN SCAN

10/29/2010 02:22:56 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED[M]

So now I wait according to NewEgg for 7-10 days for replacement processing.  I went ahead and did a LiveChat with NewEgg since I didn't want it to be any longer than it had to - that's when I found out it would be 7-10 days.

So wanted to put my new motherboard to use this weekend.  #@$#@ it UPS >:(

Does end of life just mean that they have stopped production of that board?  Makes sense, I guess, since LGA 775 is fairly old school by now.

I would be quite excited if they came out with the same board but with an LGA 1156 socket (so that it could take the i3).

Since you are proposing parts, can you recommend some sata controllers? As well as quality brands?

Couldn't find much in search.  ;)

Easy: the SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8.  Check superbiiz if you don't want to wait for Newegg to get them back in stock.  The C2SEE can take two of these cards for up to 22 drive support.

With these cards you'll also need SAS-SATA breakout cables, but the type you'll need depends on the type of setup you have.  Chances are you need the forward variety.

Archived