uTorrent released for Linux

PhoenixNZ

Hello to all.

on 1st November utorrent finally released a version for Linux.  Now it is a Alpha release, and only compatible with 32 bit, and requires Linux kernel 2.6.13 or newer.

More info on this release here http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=83506

Now I've been playing with Unraid 5Beta2, and Transmission (Thank you BubbaQ), but have used Prostuff1's rutorrent package.

I'm wondering if someone with more knowledge (not hard, still crawling aroung linux) is able to develop a package with utorrent for 5Beta2?

I've set up transmission on three units, one at a mate's place, and a couple of test units @ home, but my home units seem to flood the network, blocking any computer from accessing the net.  I figure it's my router and will look into that.  My mate's unit runs perfect, and all three home pc's still access the internet while he's downloading.

@Prostuff:  I read a post just recently that your working on a new torrent package.  Which Unraid version will it be compatible with?  Happy to do some testing.

@BubbaQ:  Transmission package works very nice, and I followed instructions to update transmission to 2.04.  But having issues with starting/stopping.  I wanted to have a icon on my pc for start and another for stop.  Using Telnet Scripting program, batch files work perfectly.....for three or four stop/start's then the command 'transctl stop' doesn't work anymore.  No idea why..  Even telnet in and type the command

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl stop
gives results as if the web gui has stopped, but still get access in firefox.  I have to pause all torrents and restart unraid.

So, is it possible to get utorrent for unraid?? 

@Prostuff:  I read a post just recently that your working on a new torrent package.  Which Unraid version will it be compatible with?  Happy to do some testing.

I just sent the final version of the transmission package to JoeL.  It should be coming out in the near future.  He will tweak and change a few things I am sure, but it will allow you to customize the install of BubbaQ's transmission package.  I am running 5.0b2 on most everything so i tested on that, but there should be no issues running on 4.5.6.

I just sent the final version of the transmission package to JoeL.  It should be coming out in the near future.  He will tweak and change a few things I am sure, but it will allow you to customize the install of BubbaQ's transmission package.  I am running 5.0b2 on most everything so i tested on that, but there should be no issues running on 4.5.6.

works fine on 4.5.6...

Good news.  I look forward to seeing it's release.

Any thoughts on utorrent??  reason I ask is transmission doesn't have queueing yet for linux. TransmissionBT's forum have quite a few linux users asking for queueing as it's available in the Mac version, but no reply from the Dev's.

Also, their site says version 2.11 is available, but only 2.04 is available for Linux.

But hey,  complete linux noob here, so relying on forum members help.

Does your package addin to 5.0b2's web gui for stop/start?

Thanks

Good news.  I look forward to seeing it's release.

Any thoughts on utorrent??  reason I ask is transmission doesn't have queueing yet for linux. TransmissionBT's forum have quite a few linux users asking for queueing as it's available in the Mac version, but no reply from the Dev's.

Also, their site says version 2.11 is available, but only 2.04 is available for Linux.

But hey,  complete linux noob here, so relying on forum members help.

Does your package addin to 5.0b2's web gui for stop/start?

Thanks

It creates start and stop buttons in the "User Scripts" section of the unMenu web interface.  I am holding off on doing anything via the 5.0 gui until it is more final.  Trying to hit a moving target like 5.0 is more work than I have time for right now.

PhoenixNZ, did you tried transmission remote gui? There are versions for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X

http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/

So the brains a bit muddled.  This installs on the windows pc and links back to transmission on the unraid box? Yes?  may have to give this a go when home.  now for some reading.

It creates start and stop buttons in the "User Scripts" section of the unMenu web interface.  I am holding off on doing anything via the 5.0 gui until it is more final.  Trying to hit a moving target like 5.0 is more work than I have time for right now.

@prostuff1:  looked at unMenu but wasn't sure if this worked with 5.0. Does it?  waaay to many pages to read.  lol.

Downloading utorrent  from the forum link you provided, un-compressing and then running the binary seems to work fine in unraid.

I can load the web interface though didn't feed it any torrents.

It could be packaged up quite easily on the face of it but it's quite simple to run right now and if it's in alpha then it might be a very moving target to try and hit just now as we would have to constantly keep the package metafile updated with new versions. This is more trouble for Joe L than anyone else so might be something he could comment on...

Downloading utorrent  from the forum link you provided, un-compressing and then running the binary seems to work fine in unraid.

It could be packaged up quite easily on the face of it but it's quite simple to run right now and if it's in alpha then it might be a very moving target to try and hit just now as we would have to constantly keep the package metafile updated with new versions. This is more trouble for Joe L than anyone else so might be something he could comment on...

Do a "Check for unMenu Updates" in the user scripts section.  JoeL and I just finalized the Transmission BitTorrent client install.  It uses bubbaQ's package as the base and allows you to customize the variables so it is installed consistantly on every reboot.

Do a "Check for unMenu Updates" in the user scripts section.  JoeL and I just finalized the Transmission BitTorrent client install.  It uses bubbaQ's package as the base and allows you to customize the variables so it is installed consistantly on every reboot.

? They're asking about utorrent. Or are you thinking we should only offer one torrent client via unmenu?

Personally I'm not sure Joe L would be to interested in having to update his repository each time a new build of utorrent is released. It might be better to wait until it's stabilised a bit.

? They're asking about utorrent. Or are you thinking we should only offer one torrent client via unmenu?

Sorry if it came across that way, that was not what I meant by my statement.  I should have quoted PhoenixNZ and did not look/think before I hit the button.

Personally I'm not sure Joe L would be to interested in having to update his repository each time a new build of utorrent is released. It might be better to wait until it's stabilised a bit.

I agree that we can include it after it is mostly ironed out and not in alpha/beta.  I personally like the fact that Transmission is open source and would choose to use it over something like uTorrent, but if a package is not to difficult then giving the user a choice is not a bad thing.

I agree that we can include it after it is mostly ironed out and not in alpha/beta.  I personally like the fact that Transmission is open source and would choose to use it over something like uTorrent, but if a package is not to difficult then giving the user a choice is not a bad thing.

Absolutely. I'm looking forward to trying your transmission package later. I've been running it 'by hand' for a while now, so it will be great to have it under the care of unmenu!

I downloaded and installed the package OK, and it works.

Just a few question/problems:

1. The "download-dir" and "incomplete-dir" don't seem to work.

2. There is "trash-original-torrent-files" - what is the watch folder?

3. When I open the preferences from the transmission webGUI then settings are not as defined in the unmenu parameters.

4. the setting from the unmenu parameters have not been saved in the 'settings.json" file in the flash "\\TOWER\flash\custom\transmission\transmission.conf", Should they have been?

That is what I found for now.

Support GPL not closed source windows nonsense clients with a history of breaking torrent standards, hiding known security holes, collecting stats and selling out whenever they can.

Transmission + a uTorrent look alike web GUI should be our focus.

For all thats good in the world lets NOT let bittorent inc bring their closed source client to any more versions of linux.

WOW, feel the venom.  It's almost like I said the M$ word.  :D

Interesting to know.  Thanks for trying.  I'm too frightened to attempt that yet.  I'll look at transmission and the gui mentioned by MVL

PhoenixNZ, did you tried transmission remote gui? There are versions for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X

http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/

At the time of asking my initial question, I'd just found out prostuff1 was developing an enhanced package for unMenu, and I've been using utorrent on windows.  Sorry to offend anyone  ???

Yet to check out the new package and get unMenu installed the new transmission

@prostuff1:  What version of transmission is in your package.  I finally see transmissionbt site is showing 2.10 for Slackware.

And Thanks :) for your work in this package.

@prostuff1:  What version of transmission is in your package.  I finally see transmissionbt site is showing 2.10 for Slackware.

And Thanks :) for your work in this package.

I use the version that is in bubbaQ's installpkg which i believe is 2.01

I noticed a post,

I needed a newer version of transmission so I followed the instructions on

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7373.0

and then found these and installed them on top. Works like a charm on 4.5.6

http://dropa-public.s3.amazonaws.com/libevent-1412-i486-1.txz

http://dropa-public.s3.amazonaws.com/transmission-2.04-i486-1mfb.txz

and I used bubbq's package and added the above files.

But 2.10 is available and has more fixes.  Is it possible to manually update the package with 2.10? or release a 2.10 package for unMenu?

Oh and ps, Thanks for all your work.

I noticed a post,

I needed a newer version of transmission so I followed the instructions on

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7373.0

and then found these and installed them on top. Works like a charm on 4.5.6

http://dropa-public.s3.amazonaws.com/libevent-1412-i486-1.txz

http://dropa-public.s3.amazonaws.com/transmission-2.04-i486-1mfb.txz

and I used bubbq's package and added the above files.

But 2.10 is available and has more fixes.  Is it possible to manually update the package with 2.10? or release a 2.10 package for unMenu?

Oh and ps, Thanks for all your work.

I realize that 2.10 is out but I am not going to mess with updating bubbaQ's package (plus I would have to figure out exactly how to do it).  If you would like an updated version please send a PM to bubbaQ requesting a 2.10 package.  When that comes out I would be more than happy to update the unMenu package.

1. The "download-dir" and "incomplete-dir" don't seem to work.

2. There is "trash-original-torrent-files" - what is the watch folder?

3. When I open the preferences from the transmission webGUI then settings are not as defined in the unmenu parameters.

4. the setting from the unmenu parameters have not been saved in the 'settings.json" file in the flash "\\TOWER\flash\custom\transmission\transmission.conf", Should they have been?

That is what I found for now.

I am looking into these and have an idea on what is causing the problem.  I have a request out to JoeL for some assistance and will update the thread I created in the Customization forum.

• 5 weeks later...

Is this the place to post questions about the transmission package for unraid.  I'm having issues with downloads.  It tries to download to disk1 but it is now full and the downloads are all paused.  I can't seem to get it to download accross all drives that have room.  Can anyone help?

Is this the place to post questions about the transmission package for unraid.  I'm having issues with downloads.  It tries to download to disk1 but it is now full and the downloads are all paused.  I can't seem to get it to download accross all drives that have room.  Can anyone help?

No... but the obvious answer is

stop transmission

configure it to write to a different disk or move files off disk 1 to another to make room.

start transmission once more.

The config variables need to be set to what you need.  You can probably set it to save to a user share, but I would disable the use of the cache drive for that share.