unRAID Server Release 4.5.8 Available

limetech

Download

This is a maintenance release to fix a "kernel oops" (ie, crash).

If you are running version 4.5.6, should you update to 4.5.8?  Yes.

What happened to 4.5.7?  The "kernel oops" fix put into 4.5.7 broke backward compatibility with some 3rd party extensions, hence 4.5.8 has small change to fix this.

unRAID Server 4.5.8 Release Notes
=================================

Changes from 4.5.7 to 4.5.8
---------------------------

Other:
- Make unRaid driver "status" command a no-op and patch '/root/mdcmd' script to properly handle a "status" command for backward compatibility.

Changes from 4.5.6 to 4.5.7

Bug fixes:
- Fix for kernel oops of the following type:
 "Tower kernel: EIP is at md_cmd_proc_read+0x41/0x54 [md_mod]"

Changes from 4.5.5 to 4.5.6

Sorry, the 4.5.5 release package got built wrong which resulted in bugs listed below.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed problem with restoring timezone setting upon reboot.
- Fixed missing reiserfsprogs.

Changes from 4.5.4 to 4.5.5

Bug fixes:
- Fixed 'Mover logging' control in webGui.

Other:
- Added better timezone support.
- Increase supported array width from 20 to 21 drives.
- Add 'Are you sure?' prompt to the 'initconfig' command.
- Added IPMI support, I2C support, and Intel 82801 support.
- During parity-check, the first 20 sync errors are output to the system log.
- If directory named 'extra' exists in root of Flash, invoke 'installpkg' on all files found there before invoking the 'go' script.
- Add 'removepkg' and 'explodepkg'.
- Added 'bzip2'.
- Upgrade reiserfsprogs to version 3.6.21

Changes from 4.5.3 to 4.5.4

Bug fixes:
- Fix (another) problem where formatted data disks could appear 'unformatted' immediately following array start.  This one was due to race condition where md devices could possibly not exist before management utility issues 'mount'.

Other:
- Generate additional logging information during 'mount'.
- Added additional "safeguards" in the code handling 'format' operations.
- Removed 'Restore' button from webGui, replacing with new shell command called 'initconfig'.
- Updated mc (midnight-commander) utility to slackware's 2010-02-06 version.

Changes from 4.5.2 to 4.5.3

Other:
- Update linux kernel to 2.6.32.9
- Enable SMT (Hyperthreading) scheduler support in kernel.
- Update linux udev subsystem to 1.41.
- Fix problem reading USB Flash device model & serial number with some motherboads.
- Added USB FTDI Single Port Serial Driver per user request.

Changes from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2

Bug fixes:
- Fix problem where device assignment via webGui could fail if device identifier is too long.

Other:
- Added SCST subsystem (see http://scst.sourceforge.net) in order to support Marvell 88SE63xx/64xx/68xx/94xx SAS controller-based cards.
- Added 'COPYING' file in release that includes text of the GPL version 2.

Changes from 4.5 to 4.5.1
-------------------------

Bug fixes:
- Fix javascript bug checking valid settings on the Settings page.
- Fix bug where a disk can appear 'Unformatted' immediately after array Start.
- Change unmount polling rate from 1 second to 5 seconds when Stopping the array when external extensions still have a disk or use share mounted.

Other:
- Updated linux kernel to version 2.6.31.12
- Updated Samba to version 3.4.5
- Added Areca driver.
- Added Marvell legacy PATA support.
- Added USB printer support.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
   bzimage
   bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
   bzimage
   bzroot
   syslinux.cfg
   menu.c32
   memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

Some additional items of note from a quick diff from 4.5.6 and 4.5.8, there seems to be a few new inclusions in the Kernel, such as:

CPU Frequency drivers with the various frequency governors as modules (CPU_FREQ, CPU_FREQ_TABLE, CPU_FREQ_STAT, CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND, CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE, CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE, CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE, CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND, CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE)

CPU Power management (X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ, X86_POWERNOW_K6, X86_POWERNOW_K7, X86_POWERNOW_K7_ACPI, X86_POWERNOW_K8, X86_P4_CLOCKMOD, X86_CPUFREQ_NFORCE, X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB)

Hardware Monitoring or CPU Temp Sensors as modules (SENSORS_K8TEMP, SENSORS_CORETEMP, SENSORS_IT87, SENSORS_W83627HF, SENSORS_W83627EHF, SENSORS_ATK0110)

Kernel support for additional Filesystems - EXT3, EXT4 (EXT2_FS_XATTR, EXT2_FS_POSIX_ACL, EXT3_FS, EXT3_FS_XATTR, EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL, EXT4_FS, EXT4_FS_XATTR, EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL, JBD, JBD2)

Inclusion of Network Tunneling (?) (CONFIG_STP, CONFIG_BRIDGE, CONFIG_TUN, CONFIG_LLC)

just updated. now I keep getting these:

Nov 16 23:28:36 Tower kernel: mdcmd (19): status

Nov 16 23:29:18 Tower kernel: mdcmd (20): nocheck

Nov 16 23:29:18 Tower kernel: md: md_do_sync: got signal, exit...

Nov 16 23:29:18 Tower kernel: md: recovery thread sync completion status: -4

Nov 16 23:29:40 Tower kernel: mdcmd (21): status

Nov 16 23:30:44 Tower kernel: mdcmd (22): status

Nov 16 23:31:49 Tower kernel: mdcmd (23): status

Nov 16 23:32:54 Tower kernel: mdcmd (24): status

Nov 16 23:33:59 Tower kernel: mdcmd (25): status

Nov 16 23:34:22 Tower ntpd[1417]: synchronized to 173.45.232.54, stratum 2

Nov 16 23:35:04 Tower kernel: mdcmd (26): status

Nov 16 23:36:09 Tower kernel: mdcmd (27): status

*edit*

and my user shares have disappeared.

*edit*

What add-ons do you have installed?

First off great work always nice to see new versions.

However I humbly re-suggest that no stable should be released without first being issued to the community as a beta.

I believe 4.5.7 and now potentially 4.5.8 prove the point.

Kudos

*edit*

Unmenu

bwm-ng - Bandwidth Monitor NG (Next Generation), a live bandwidth monitor

"C" compiler & development tools

hdparm - get/set hard disk parameters

mail and ssmtp - Configure unRAID to be able to send e-mail notifications via the "mail" command.

Monthly Parity Check

PHP

Clean Powerdown

I also have SABnzbd and SickBeard running on my Cache drive in a .custom folder.  I als noticed since the update, the .custom folder keeps getting copied to my data drives.

*edit*

Unmenu

bwm-ng - Bandwidth Monitor NG (Next Generation), a live bandwidth monitor

"C" compiler & development tools

hdparm - get/set hard disk parameters

mail and ssmtp - Configure unRAID to be able to send e-mail notifications via the "mail" command.

Monthly Parity Check

PHP

Clean Powerdown

I also have SABnzbd and SickBeard running on my Cache drive in a .custom folder.  I als noticed since the update, the .custom folder keeps getting copied to my data drives.

The extra 'status' messages in the log are a result of how I restored "backward compatibility" & so I will release another version soon with this fixed.

The 'user shares disappearing' and 'contents of .custom getting moved to data drives' I do not see - there are no changes to either the user share file system or the mover.  Perhaps you can post a system log?

Hi,

I just finished running the mover and a custom instance of rsync simultanously; that usually caused the kernel oops.

4.5.8 seems to have resolved the kernel oops problem.

I too noticed the "mdcmd status", but Limetech addressed the problem in the previous post.

On another note, the interface now shows all 20 hard drives even if they're not installed:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9029.0;attach=4719;image

Something else might have changed also because now BubbaQ custom interface shows all disks a "parity":

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9029.0;attach=4717;image

custom.interface.png.b18b0978f253cb7501d959a3492ddb5d.png

interface.png.cc842f6f17c304547ce2454da308b177.png

The extra 'status' messages in the log are a result of how I restored "backward compatibility" & so I will release another version soon with this fixed.

The 'user shares disappearing' and 'contents of .custom getting moved to data drives' I do not see - there are no changes to either the user share file system or the mover.  Perhaps you can post a system log?

updated to 4.6rc1.  status messages are now gone.  the .custom folder in my cache drive also appeared again in my disk 2 drive.

dotcustommoved.png

in case it is hard to see, direct link to photo

syslog-2010-11-17.txt

I stayed with this release until figuring out which version to downgrade to. Two issues:

1. I got a false report from unraid_notify that the array was stopped when in fact is was not.

2. This morning the webgui is very slow to respond and gives false information about which drives are spun up.

I am putting 4.5.6 on now until I receive word whether it is safe to downgrade to 4.5.4 (which has older version reiserfs acc to changelog)

I stayed with this release until figuring out which version to downgrade to. Two issues:

1. I got a false report from unraid_notify that the array was stopped when in fact is was not.

2. This morning the webgui is very slow to respond and gives false information about which drives are spun up.

I am putting 4.5.6 on now until I receive word whether it is safe to downgrade to 4.5.4 (which has older version reiserfs acc to changelog)

You might try 4.6rc1.  It specifically fixes the /mdcmd status command so programs like unraid_notify will still work.

updated to 4.6rc1.  status messages are now gone.  the .custom folder in my cache drive also appeared again in my disk 2 drive.

I set up a test case where I created /mnt/cache/.custom and put a file in there.  Then clicked on 'Move Now' button on the Shares page.  The mover did not move anything.

Please do something similar, let me know if files got moved, and post the system log.

I set up a test case where I created /mnt/cache/.custom and put a file in there.  Then clicked on 'Move Now' button on the Shares page.  The mover did not move anything.

Please do something similar, let me know if files got moved, and post the system log.

I deleted the .custom folder from Disk 2, clicked on the button in Unmenu to start the mover.  Nothing was moved since nothing was on the cache drive.

I rebooted the server, the syslog I posted along with the pics above are from the second time it happened.  I started up the server around 4:59pm according to the syslog and at 5:00pm the .custom folder was created on Disk2. At least that is the time shown as it being modified in the screenshot.

Need  me to try it again?

The syslog you posted has no entries in there for 'mover' running.  Could be you have 'mover logging' set to 'No'?  So yes, please put a dummy file in your .custom folder on the cache drive and then invoke the mover & then post the system log.

I don't see how this issue can be related to 4.5.7/4.5.8/4.6-rc1 since the mover script and share file system did not change at all.

If after doing the test above, and the dummy file still gets moved and .custom still gets created on disk2, then I would like you to restore unRaid to pure stock form - ie, no 3rd party add-ons & then repeat the test.

I deleted the .custom folder from Disk 2, clicked on the button in Unmenu to start the mover.  Nothing was moved

Where is this button in unMenu.  I am not home right now, but you should be using the mover button in the defualt unRAID gui.

There is no button in unMENU.  (unless he added one)  I think he intended to write unRAID.

I deleted the .custom folder from Disk 2, clicked on the button in Unmenu to start the mover.  Nothing was moved

Where is this button in unMenu.  I am not home right now, but you should be using the mover button in the defualt unRAID gui.

I'm sorry, I meant unRaid in the Shares tab.

It just did it again.  It seems to be a Sickbeard issue as the only files that get moved are the cache and the logs folder.  Nothing is in the syslog.  I deleted the .custom in Disk 2.  I stopped SickBeard and then restarted it. Once it was up and running the .custom folder was created in Disk 2 with the cache and logs folders inside.

Sorry Tom. It was a user error.  It was sickbeard.  I took a look in the config.ini file and the SickBeard Cache was set to be stored in  /mnt/user/.custom/SickBeard/cache  when it should have been /mnt/cache/.custom/SickBeard/cache.

Thanks Tom for taking the time and trying to help me.