unRAID Server Release 4.6-rc2 Available

limetech

Download

This is a maintenance release to fix a "kernel oops" (ie, crash).

First, sorry about the ill-fated 4.5.7/4.5.8 releases.  I am committed to maintaining backward compatibility with 3rd party add-ons insofar as possible, and am now taking the advice of many here by producing "release candidates" prior to releasing a "final" version.

So for this "do over", I decided to increment the minor number, hence 4.6-rc1.  In addition, 4.5.7/4.5.8 have been taken down from the Download page.  [if you downloaded 4.5.7 or 4.5.8, it's ok to keep running with those (your data is safe), but you may see some "anomalies" in the system log and/or user interface, especially with some 3rd-party add-ons.]

Should you eventually update to 4.6 "final"?  Yes, since the "kernel oops" bug fix, though not seen by vast majority of h/w configs, can occur, so I suggest you update.

The release definitions are now:

- A "beta" release will have a "-betaN" suffix.  As features are implemented for a new release, they are "phased in" as a series of beta releases.  At some point, once all planned new features are implemented, the release changes to a "release candidate".

- A "release candidate" will have a "-rcN" suffix.  A release candidate is essentially a "feature freeze" of the code.  Users in the Community are encouraged to try out release candidates in an effort to eliminate lingering bugs.  At some points, the "latest" release candidate will have only the version identifier changed, and will become the "final" version.

- Only "final" versions are shipped by Lime Tech in server products.

I will monitor this thread, along with the old 4.5.8 thread for bug/incompatibility reports.  So a question to the Community: how long should a release candidate go without new issue reports before becoming a "final" version?  I would like to close out the 4.x series by this Friday, 19 Nov., but perhaps not wide enough window?

unRAID Server 4.6-rc2 Release Notes
===================================

Changes from 4.6-rc1 to 4.6-rc2
-------------------------------

Other:
- Restore "diskNumber" and "rdevNumber" driver vars.

Changes from 4.5.6 to 4.6-rc1
-----------------------------

Bug fixes:
- Fix for kernel oops of the following type:
  "Tower kernel: EIP is at md_cmd_proc_read+0x41/0x54 [md_mod]"

Other:
- Make unRaid driver "status" command a no-op and patch '/root/mdcmd' script to properly handle a "status" command for backward compatibility.
- Restore backward-compatibility with 4.5.6 in regards to 3rd party add-ons.

Changes from 4.5.5 to 4.5.6
---------------------------

Sorry, the 4.5.5 release package got built wrong which resulted in bugs listed below.

Bug fixes:
- Fixed problem with restoring timezone setting upon reboot.
- Fixed missing reiserfsprogs.

Changes from 4.5.4 to 4.5.5

Bug fixes:
- Fixed 'Mover logging' control in webGui.

Other:
- Added better timezone support.
- Increase supported array width from 20 to 21 drives.
- Add 'Are you sure?' prompt to the 'initconfig' command.
- Added IPMI support, I2C support, and Intel 82801 support.
- During parity-check, the first 20 sync errors are output to the system log.
- If directory named 'extra' exists in root of Flash, invoke 'installpkg' on all files found there before invoking the 'go' script.
- Add 'removepkg' and 'explodepkg'.
- Added 'bzip2'.
- Upgrade reiserfsprogs to version 3.6.21

Changes from 4.5.3 to 4.5.4

Bug fixes:
- Fix (another) problem where formatted data disks could appear 'unformatted' immediately following array start.  This one was due to race condition where md devices could possibly not exist before management utility issues 'mount'.

Other:
- Generate additional logging information during 'mount'.
- Added additional "safeguards" in the code handling 'format' operations.
- Removed 'Restore' button from webGui, replacing with new shell command called 'initconfig'.
- Updated mc (midnight-commander) utility to slackware's 2010-02-06 version.

Changes from 4.5.2 to 4.5.3

Other:
- Update linux kernel to 2.6.32.9
- Enable SMT (Hyperthreading) scheduler support in kernel.
- Update linux udev subsystem to 1.41.
- Fix problem reading USB Flash device model & serial number with some motherboads.
- Added USB FTDI Single Port Serial Driver per user request.

Changes from 4.5.1 to 4.5.2

Bug fixes:
- Fix problem where device assignment via webGui could fail if device identifier is too long.

Other:
- Added SCST subsystem (see http://scst.sourceforge.net) in order to support Marvell 88SE63xx/64xx/68xx/94xx SAS controller-based cards.
- Added 'COPYING' file in release that includes text of the GPL version 2.

Changes from 4.5 to 4.5.1
-------------------------

Bug fixes:
- Fix javascript bug checking valid settings on the Settings page.
- Fix bug where a disk can appear 'Unformatted' immediately after array Start.
- Change unmount polling rate from 1 second to 5 seconds when Stopping the array when external extensions still have a disk or use share mounted.

Other:
- Updated linux kernel to version 2.6.31.12
- Updated Samba to version 3.4.5
- Added Areca driver.
- Added Marvell legacy PATA support.
- Added USB printer support.

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
============================================

If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher (including 4.2.x 'final'), please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, by copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a question to the Community: how long should a release candidate go without new issue reports before becoming a "final" version?

depends on complexity of product/changes.

i believe for unraid need at least 2 weeks. our product we do private beta for 2 weeks, after public beta for 4 weeks.

So a question to the Community: how long should a release candidate go without new issue reports before becoming a "final" version?

Obviously the complexity of the changes will militate more or less time.  I would likely not go shorter than 2 weeks.

I might look at the number of downloads of the RC to get a rough idea of how many people are potentially using it.

And personally, kudos for taking the backward compatibility of third-party stuff into consideration.  A lot of devs would just set them adrift ;)

Obviously the complexity of the changes will militate more or less time.  I would likely not go shorter than 2 weeks.

I might look at the number of downloads of the RC to get a rough idea of how many people are potentially using it.

And personally, kudos for taking the backward compatibility of third-party stuff into consideration.  A lot of devs would just set them adrift ;)

In the case of this -rc1, I would like to go shorter than 2 weeks because, as stated in the first post, I only ship "final" releases with servers & flash device products, and I've been getting more and more reports of this particular kernel crash happening, so I'd like to start shipping it asap.

And yes, I really appreciate all the extras that other dev's add to the unRaid platform & I try to make every effort to not break their stuff, especially in a 'maintenance' release of a final version.  (During a beta sequence, I make less effort :)

Speaking of backward compatibility, bubbaQ did you see this post in the 4.5.8 thread?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9029.msg86185#msg86185

When you get a chance plz let me know if this is broke because of something I did...

Hello,

Ok so 4.5.8 did do a very random shutdown for no reason whatsoever. It all started here;

Nov 17 16:14:55 kenny emhttp: shcmd (41): /etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop | logger
Nov 17 16:14:55 kenny emhttp: shcmd (42): /etc/rc.d/rc.nfsd stop | logger

And then for about 15 minutes i kept getting errors similar to this;

Nov 17 16:17:52 kenny emhttp: _shcmd: shcmd (138): exit status: 1
Nov 17 16:17:52 kenny emhttp: Retry unmounting disk share(s)...
Nov 17 16:17:57 kenny emhttp: shcmd (139): umount /mnt/cache >/dev/null 2>&1
Nov 17 16:17:57 kenny emhttp: _shcmd: shcmd (139): exit status: 1

Anyway, I put 4.6rc-1

The "not installed" disks dissapeared from your unraid console. Thanks for that.

BUT Bubba custom interface still shows all disks as parity.

Unmenu displays them fine.

Syslog looks fine, no more mdcmd status messages.

I'll keep you posted if I encounter any other problems.

depends on complexity of product/changes.

i believe for unraid need at least 2 weeks. our product we do private beta for 2 weeks, after public beta for 4 weeks.

I think instead of "how long" we should focus on "what has to be verified in regression test". We need to have a list of native unRAID functions that need to be verified in order to make sure nothing is broken. For 3rd party software, a list of software is also needed such that new image can cover most of popular add-on software used in community such as unmenu/cache_dir.....etc.

Hi guys,

This is also hapenning with unraid notify (the part where everything is seen as a parity disk);

Disk Temperature Status

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cache Disk [sdc]: 35°C (DiskId: WDC_WD20EARS-00M_WD-WMAZ20043234)

Parity Disk [hda]: 41°C (DiskId: Maxtor_6H500R0_H80J9HGH)

Parity Disk [sdd]: 33°C (DiskId: WDC_WD5000AAKS-7_WD-WMASY4103612)

Parity Disk [sda]: 35°C (DiskId: WDC_WD1001FALS-0_WD-WMATV5570723)

Parity Disk [sdg]: 34°C (DiskId: WDC_WD15EARS-00S_WD-WCAVY1930651)

Parity Disk [sdb]: 34°C (DiskId: WDC_WD6400AAKS-0_WD-WCASY0373935)

Parity Disk [sdh]: 24°C (DiskId: Hitachi_HTS54505_100410PBN40017CZKJXE)

Parity Disk [hdb1]: 33°C (DiskId: WDC_WD2000JB-00GVA0_WD-WMAL81014852)

Disk SMART Health Status

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cache Disk PASSED (DiskId: WDC_WD20EARS-00M_WD-WMAZ20043234)

Parity Disk PASSED (DiskId: Maxtor_6H500R0_H80J9HGH)

Parity Disk PASSED (DiskId: WDC_WD5000AAKS-7_WD-WMASY4103612)

Parity Disk PASSED (DiskId: WDC_WD1001FALS-0_WD-WMATV5570723)

Parity Disk PASSED (DiskId: WDC_WD15EARS-00S_WD-WCAVY1930651)

Parity Disk PASSED (DiskId: WDC_WD6400AAKS-0_WD-WCASY0373935)

Parity Disk PASSED (DiskId: Hitachi_HTS54505_100410PBN40017CZKJXE)

Parity Disk PASSED (DiskId: WDC_WD2000JB-00GVA0_WD-WMAL81014852)

Download

I would like to close out the 4.x series by this Friday, 19 Nov., but perhaps not wide enough window?

does this mean 5.0 is due out soon thereafter? An early XMas present for us all Tom :) ?

I am running 4.5.3 and am really wanting to upgrade. But I just need to know if it is worthwhile waiting for 5.0 to be released instead of doing a double upgrade (4.5.3 > 4.6 > 5.0)

thanks!

Download

I would like to close out the 4.x series by this Friday, 19 Nov., but perhaps not wide enough window?

does this mean 5.0 is due out soon thereafter? An early XMas present for us all Tom :) ?

I am running 4.5.3 and am really wanting to upgrade. But I just need to know if it is worthwhile waiting for 5.0 to be released instead of doing a double upgrade (4.5.3 > 4.6 > 5.0)

thanks!

4.5.3 has a MAJOR bug in that if you are not careful when adding a new disk to the array it could format ALL your disks.  Please upgrade NOW.  (Or, at least be aware of the bug and do not get caught by it.  See here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6206.0 )

Several people have formatted ALL their disks... when intending to only format a newly added disk.  It is really sad to see a grown unRAID server owner cry.

Joe L.

In the case of this -rc1, I would like to go shorter than 2 weeks because, as stated in the first post, I only ship "final" releases with servers & flash device products, and I've been getting more and more reports of this particular kernel crash happening, so I'd like to start shipping it asap.

Sounds like 4.5.6 is not reeeeeeally considered stable. Does it belong in the downloads section, labeled as a stable release?

Is 4.5.4 better in terms of the Kernel Ooops? Would there be any problem with shipping 4.5.4 on the limetech servers?

And for those of us wishing to use a stable version on our 'production' servers, will there be any issues with downgrading to 4.5.4 after having run 4.5.6 - more specifically, I noticed a reiserfs version change in 4.5.5, will there be any problems reverting back?

PS. I would not mind testing the RC, I think it is a great initiative, but I just got a couple new disks and new controller, so I really don't want to have to test new hardware with anything less than stable releases, sore of a principle I live by.

Did all the powernow changes make it into this RC as well that were in 4.5.8 (cant see reference to it in the changelog)

Some additional items of note from a quick diff from 4.5.6 and 4.5.8, there seems to be a few new inclusions in the Kernel, such as:

CPU Frequency drivers with the various frequency governors as modules (CPU_FREQ, CPU_FREQ_TABLE, CPU_FREQ_STAT, CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND, CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE, CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE, CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE, CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND, CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE)

CPU Power management (X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ, X86_POWERNOW_K6, X86_POWERNOW_K7, X86_POWERNOW_K7_ACPI, X86_POWERNOW_K8, X86_P4_CLOCKMOD, X86_CPUFREQ_NFORCE, X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB)

Hardware Monitoring or CPU Temp Sensors as modules (SENSORS_K8TEMP, SENSORS_CORETEMP, SENSORS_IT87, SENSORS_W83627HF, SENSORS_W83627EHF, SENSORS_ATK0110)

Kernel support for additional Filesystems - EXT3, EXT4 (EXT2_FS_XATTR, EXT2_FS_POSIX_ACL, EXT3_FS, EXT3_FS_XATTR, EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL, EXT4_FS, EXT4_FS_XATTR, EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL, JBD, JBD2)

Inclusion of Network Tunneling (?) (CONFIG_STP, CONFIG_BRIDGE, CONFIG_TUN, CONFIG_LLC)

Also any instructions on how to get these running (im specifically keen to get my AMD powernow working).

Thanks

Download

thanks!

4.5.3 has a MAJOR bug in that if you are not careful when adding a new disk to the array it could format ALL your disks.   Please upgrade NOW.   (Or, at least be aware of the bug and do not get caught by it.   See here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6206.0 )

Several people have formatted ALL their disks... when intending to only format a newly added disk.  It is really sad to see a grown unRAID server owner cry.

Joe L.

Yup thanks Joe, that (along with a few other things) is why I want to upgrade. It is also the reason why I have backed up over 3TB of my data before thinking about any upgrade (I really hate crying!)

I would just hate it if I went for 4.x and then a few days/weeks later 5 was released. I know 5 has been in beta2 but just wondered if it will move to beta3 or gold soon.

Cheers

Speaking of backward compatibility, bubbaQ did you see this post in the 4.5.8 thread?

When you get a chance plz let me know if this is broke because of something I did...

Looks like that was caused by the change in mdcmd output, that was then fixed in RC1.

The regexp I used for parsing the drive ID out of mdcmd is "/diskName\.(\d*)\=/" and if that doesn't find a number, it remains 0, and thus will be displayed as "parity."

Looks like that was caused by the change in mdcmd output, that was then fixed in RC1.

The regexp I used for parsing the drive ID out of mdcmd is "/diskName\.(\d*)\=/" and if that doesn't find a number, it remains 0, and thus will be displayed as "parity."

Hi bubba, with RC1 it still shows all disks as parity. The same can be said for unraid notify.

Although I agree that the diskname appears in both outputs, it still shows parity in your interface (and the unraid notify). Are you sure it doesn't maybe check the disknumber as well? That is missing from the new mdcmd.

Here is an output from 4.5.6 that worked fine;

diskNumber.1=1
diskName.1=md1
diskSize.1=488386552
diskState.1=7
diskModel.1=Maxtor 6H500R0
diskSerial.1=H80J9HGH
diskId.1=Maxtor_6H500R0_H80J9HGH
rdevNumber.1=1
rdevStatus.1=DISK_OK
rdevName.1=hda
rdevSize.1=488386552
rdevModel.1=Maxtor 6H500R0
rdevSerial.1=H80J9HGH
rdevId.1=Maxtor_6H500R0_H80J9HGH
rdevNumErrors.1=0
rdevLastIO.1=1289815905
rdevSpinupGroup.1=0

Here is the output with the rc1, it seems that disknumber is missing;

diskName.1=md1
diskSize.1=488386552
diskState.1=7
diskModel.1=Maxtor 6H500R0
diskSerial.1=H80J9HGH
diskId.1=Maxtor_6H500R0_H80J9HGH
rdevActive.1=1
rdevStatus.1=DISK_OK
rdevName.1=hda
rdevSize.1=488386552
rdevModel.1=Maxtor 6H500R0
rdevSerial.1=H80J9HGH
rdevId.1=Maxtor_6H500R0_H80J9HGH
rdevNumReads.1=0
rdevNumWrites.1=0
rdevNumErrors.1=0
rdevLastIO.1=1290073544
rdevSpinupGroup.1=0

Other things I noticed is that  mdresyncpros, mdresyncprcnt, mdresyncfinish, mdresyncspeed, rdevNumreads and rdevnumwrites has been added with the rc1.

Also, cmdoper and cmdresult has been removed.

I hope this helps.

Although I agree that the diskname appears in both outputs, it still shows parity in your interface (and the unraid notify). Are you sure it doesn't maybe check the disknumber as well? That is missing from the new mdcmd.

unraid_notify will need to be modified.  It used the disknumber that is no longer present..

unraid_notify will need to be modified.  It used the disknumber that is no longer present..

I'll put it back in and generate an -rc2.

A word of warning I upgraded and whilst successful all my IP, hostname and disk settings were lost.

Edit: and user shares were disabled. Its been so long since i set these i had forgotten the setting existed lol

If you only copy over bzimage/bzroot files from download to your Flash, everything else should be preserved.

Yeah, however it wasnt, Possibly a glitch in the matrix and I was silly enough not to backup first.

Minutes of work to rectify though once I had found a KB and monitor :)

If you only copied over bzimage/bzroot, it's not possible for the other settings to be lost, unless perhaps you have a bad Flash device.

Yeah, however it wasnt, Possibly a glitch in the matrix and I was silly enough not to backup first.

Minutes of work to rectify though once I had found a KB and monitor :)

If you only copied over bzimage/bzroot, it's not possible for the other settings to be lost, unless perhaps you have a bad Flash device.

I can confirm this didn't happen to me.

I was running v4.5.6 and copied over only bzimage and bzroot from v4.6-rc1