Serviio Media Server (java based like PS3 Media Server, has TV profiles as well)

magistratee

Hey all I have been playing around with some media servers.  I am currently using the PS3 media server (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3072.0) and it has been working for my ps3.  I currently just got a new Samsung TV with its DLNA allshare feature and didn't get the PMS to work with all files so I was digging around for alternatives.

I found Serviio http://www.serviio.org/, it also transcodes like that of the PMS.  It is also Java based which was claimed to be a great idea.

Has anyone tried this Media server?  I think it may be a good alternative to the PMS and may work with other TVs and consoles as wells.  They currently have profiles for some Sony Bravia, and Samsung A,B,&C Series TVs.  They also support the PS3 and XBOX360.

There is a linux version and I want to try this but unfortunately I do not have any expertise with linux and slackware.  Any help to get this at least running would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like something that would be perfect for Xbox 360.  I have been trying to get the PS3 Media Server package to work with my 360, but no luck.  Could someone package this for unRAID?

Possibly... if I get a chance to. Though since I don't use PS3Media Server it will probably go towards the bottom of my list.

• 2 weeks later...

After some ongoing frustrations with PS3 Media Server I decided to give this a try.

It's clearly still a work in progress but there appears to be a lot of active work going on with it, which is encouraging.

Once you have PS3MS installed and working Serviio is easy to install.  I just downloaded the latest linux release, unzipped and untarred it, and copied the whole directory structure over to /boot/custom/serviio on my unraid.  From there you can launch the server from a telnet window or straight from the terminal.  Just cd to whatever directory you put it in, move into the bin directory, and run serviio.sh.  I detach it from the terminal by running "serviio.sh &".

It should run ok and show up as a server on an upnp device.

Telling it where your media files are is a little more complicated.  You need to run the console app and unless you're running a GUI on your unraid box you need to run the client on a different system (I run it on my win7 box), connect to the server on unraid, and tell it where the media files are.  This requires you to install it on win7 as well (just for the client side) and then edit the config files on both the server and client to tell it what IP address to connect to on the server.

With all that done I can browse my media library fine and play some stuff fine.  But other stuff generates errors and in some cases doesn't even show up when browsing.

Tht's as far as I've gone.  Haven't had time to play much but wanted to pass along the info that at least it works without too much effort and as development coontinues the bugs will hopefully be worked out.